Blokes on the biff

L

Lizard_Lips

Guest
#1
Does anyone know if there is anything that says if you are on the sick you are confined to camp?

I remember about 8 or 9 years ago my battalion had about 40% of it on the sick. The RSM was quite pissed off, rightly so too. He then confined all the biffs to camp and funny old thing the sickie rate dropped drastically.

I've got a few suspect malingerers in my Platoon and if I can do it, I'm going to try this out to get a few of these blokes to get a grip.
 
#2
8 or 9 years ago might have been before Human Rights. They might see that as an infringement.

I was certainly confined when my cartlige went......
No chance of limping to Wetherspoons for you young falla me lad!
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#5
And what about the lads who are genuinely fooked? My work takes a grown up approach! I'm broken at the minute and my bosses are putting me on suitable courses and let me decide if I can do something! Obviously there are dicks who take advantage of the system! Get them on rehab all day everyday and I'm sure they will soon be sorted
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#6
Being barracked is illegal has been since HRA appeared, you can be confined under operational reasons, but they have to be pretty good. My squadron was confined and I went through the gate I was not popular with the head shed, however it was a illegal order. I got extras, till I pointed out that was illegal also, got a posting preference form filled it out that afternoon and got a early posting. Upshot the unit was given a board of enquiry at div level and the OC was sacked because of the amount of guys signong off.
 
#8
Nothing better (for moral) than a lad who is so injured he can’t stag on, drive, work or even breath on duty.

Yet can drive the length of the country each weekend, hump and shift whatever it may be for his own ends and play football golf, go skiing because it is good for his glass back, knees or whatever other work halting injury he may have (all in his own time of course)

Yep certainly is a good reason why the human rights act should apply to the army.

What next:

Someone suing because they where expected to be on duty at the whim of the army

What we need is a good union
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#9
Well do what I did, I kept a log of one particular chap who used to do this. I passed it onto the MO and at the next unit health meeting it was brought up. Lad soon changed his way.

Funny enough the other malingerers suddenly got better, plus the CO looked after the real biffs. Took an interest and gave as much assistance so that they got better. He rewarded them as well which never happens elsewhere.

Good boss to work for,
 
#10
There is more than enough money in the country for defence.

All it takes is political will to prune where the real waste is.

And there is a lot of waste we could prune.

The public are crying out for honesty and leadership.

Basically were f>cked
 
#11
How did I end up posting here?

Mind you it still works so i'll leave it!!
 
#13
armadillo said:
Well do what I did, I kept a log of one particular chap who used to do this. I passed it onto the MO and at the next unit health meeting it was brought up. Lad soon changed his way.

Funny enough the other malingerers suddenly got better, plus the CO looked after the real biffs. Took an interest and gave as much assistance so that they got better. He rewarded them as well which never happens elsewhere.

Good boss to work for,
Was that at the same time as disobeying orders and being a militant or in a different life :wink:

Amazing thing this internet malarkey, there are so many perfect people with perfect solutions :D
 
#14
randomgary said:
I was hurt overseas! Try telling me I can't leave camp! You would get a two finger salute!
It’s amazing how many people say such stuff but real disobedience is vary rarely seen in reality :wink:
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#15
I haven't felt the need to, like I said my work has a grown up approach! However if I was told I could not leave camp because I'm currently downgraded awaiting an opperation (due to being injured on tour) I promise there is no chance I will sit in camp
 
#16
CAARPS said:
Nothing better (for moral) than a lad who is so injured he can’t stag on, drive, work or even breath on duty.

Yet can drive the length of the country each weekend, hump and shift whatever it may be for his own ends and play football golf, go skiing because it is good for his glass back, knees or whatever other work halting injury he may have (all in his own time of course)

Yep certainly is a good reason why the human rights act should apply to the army.

What next:

Someone suing because they where expected to be on duty at the whim of the army

What we need is a good union
Well apart from telling genuinely sick/injured people to camp, the other glaring thing is that I imagine it's only the singlies who would be gated.

That's the thing with most of the shit rules - from what I remember they hardly ever effected the pads.
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#17
CAARPS said:
armadillo said:
Well do what I did, I kept a log of one particular chap who used to do this. I passed it onto the MO and at the next unit health meeting it was brought up. Lad soon changed his way.

Funny enough the other malingerers suddenly got better, plus the CO looked after the real biffs. Took an interest and gave as much assistance so that they got better. He rewarded them as well which never happens elsewhere.

Good boss to work for,
Was that at the same time as disobeying orders and being a militant or in a different life :wink:

Amazing thing this internet malarkey, there are so many perfect people with perfect solutions :D
I am what you call strange, I really do look out for my lads, however I have a deep mistrust of the system at times and will stick my neck out. Management have got used to me sticking up for my lads. I have had a lot of bollockings, however my CO understands.

The lads know I am fair, however they never see the politics and it will stay that way.

I am not citizen smith BTW and I will never do it in front of the JR. I have only mentioned the solutions that worked you should see the half dozen **** ups that didnt :(
 
#18
armadillo said:
I am what you call strange, I really do look out for my lads, however I have a deep mistrust of the system at times and will stick my neck out. Management have got used to me sticking up for my lads. I have had a lot of bollockings, however my CO understands.

The lads know I am fair, however they never see the politics and it will stay that way.

I am not citizen smith BTW and I will never do it in front of the JR. I have only mentioned the solutions that worked you should see the half dozen * ups that didnt :(
My provocative postings aside :D

I happen to agree with you and your solutions. I have said on several threads that in my experience those units that have proper medical boards and rehab plans quickly identify the genuine sick/injured from the malingerers and come up plans to deal with each.

I imagine (but could be completely wrong) the original poster was probably talking about the bloke with a POP on his arm or leg who can’t manage (in his opinion) even the most mundane of tasks due to the pain, yet can jump in his supped up twin exhaust mondeo and bomb around everywhere at the weekend

I wouldn’t actually confine him to camp but if the doctor had advise he shouldn’t be driving I would endeavour to stop him also. If he then chose to ignore me, because of “me writes innit” I would be amazed if the police did not turn up on a public road just outside the gates just to check on dangerous drivers (more than one way to skin a cat)

Or if the doctor beds an individual down I would do my best to ensure he wasn’t too sick to work yet could become John Travolta in the Bop on a Saturday thus aggravating his injury and more importantly keeping him away from work for longer.

As much as it’s always nice to get the nibbles on tinternet :D , genuine blokes don’t take the p*ss anyway, and don’t need extra control measures, however, I will always maintain:

WE ARE NOT CIVILIANS AND SHOULD NOT BE TREATED AS SUCH. Our whole existence relies on us being a disciplined, obedient force. Willing to put our individual needs on hold for the benefit of the whole and being selfless not selfish.
 
#19
amazing__lobster said:
That's the thing with most of the s*** rules - from what I remember they hardly ever effected the pads.
And there was always a glaring solution to that problem. It’s just some blokes where incapable of it :D :D

What type was you :p
 
#20
Oh oh oh Biffs, my favourite.
Some years ago a tom in 2CS was bedded down after breaking her leg when she was caught in the Bop by her Staffy the med centre told him that her sick chit was advice not an order (when he tried to charge her).
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The NAAFI Bar 12
Bravo_Bravo Army Reserve 2
BedIn AGC, RAPTC and SASC 33

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top