Bloke on the Range videos

Anyone who's shot even vaguely seriously for any time knows that the first shot is rarely the middle. Those that don't grasp this end up making unnecessary adjustments and chasing shots alles über der Platz...
Probably, but I did watch an 80 + year old the other day shoot 49 out of a possible 50 with 7 inner bulls at 600 metres with a 15 to 20 knot crosswind at the butts using iron sights (target rifle) on a .308. I wish I had taken screen shot to remind me what is possible.

To be fair, he has represented Australia in the past at full-bore target shooting. A delightful chap who is more than willing to assist someone new to the sport.

It seems our genius with a unique and special understanding of ballistics deleted the thread, lol...

ugly

LE
It seems our genius with a unique and special understanding of ballistics deleted the thread, lol...
Shame, he wont be flagged now will he?

Had one of these... erm... thingies out at 300m today...

Had one of these... erm... thingies out at 300m today...

Ooh, is that the semi-automatic only version of the L85? I've heard of those but never seen one even less fired one. I know cadets now get to swan about with the L98 A2, the lucky sods, but that's a different thing, isn't it?

Ooh, is that the semi-automatic only version of the L85? I've heard of those but never seen one even less fired one. I know cadets now get to swan about with the L98 A2, the lucky sods, but that's a different thing, isn't it?
I guess the L98A2 is its descendent. But yes, it is indeed one of the semiauto L85A1's :D

Unfortunately its owner won't part with it for love nor money...

Well, it looks like its shooting straightish. Did you have any stoppages?

I guess the L98A2 is its descendent. But yes, it is indeed one of the semiauto L85A1's :D

Unfortunately its owner won't part with it for love nor money...
I suspect that he parted with a shed load of Swiss Francs. A year or three ago I saw one for sale in Schweizer Waffen Magazin, can't remember what the figure was but it was eye watering, even by Swiss standards.

Well, it looks like its shooting straightish. Did you have any stoppages?
Not while shooting, but on dropping the bolt on a new mag. Reviewing the footage it seems the automatic hold-open was holding the bolt not quite fully to the rear.

But it's clear that it's right on the edge function-wise.

Not while shooting, but on dropping the bolt on a new mag. Reviewing the footage it seems the automatic hold-open was holding the bolt not quite fully to the rear.

But it's clear that it's right on the edge function-wise.
While editing the footage, the hold open was holding properly. I guess it doesn't get quite the runup from that position as when it cycles and hits the buffer.

*puts on tin lid, takes cover for fanboi incoming*

*puts on tin lid, takes cover for fanboi incoming*

Brings back non too fond memories. It is accurate even in the first versions but that was it.
I remember seeing some rep from Enfield (?) at Bisley circa 1979 with a prototype in 4.85, now that really is small bore! Somewhere in the bottom of my safe there are 2 rds of 4.85 being kept in total darkness lest they see daylight and turn to dust.

Brings back non too fond memories. It is accurate even in the first versions but that was it.
I remember seeing some rep from Enfield (?) at Bisley circa 1979 with a prototype in 4.85, now that really is small bore! Somewhere in the bottom of my safe there are 2 rds of 4.85 being kept in total darkness lest they see daylight and turn to dust.
It's not even *that* accurate. My free-floated HBAR AR15, on the other hand, is proper accurate. SA80 just seems accurate compared to a shagged out SLR firing a godly cartridge with wobbly iron sights prone unsupported, vs. a 5.56 with a scope shot rested on the magazine.

It's not even *that* accurate. My free-floated HBAR AR15, on the other hand, is proper accurate. SA80 just seems accurate compared to a shagged out SLR firing a godly cartridge with wobbly iron sights prone unsupported, vs. a 5.56 with a scope shot rested on the magazine.
I didn't say match accurate, it was simply more accurate than the SLR, which was supposed to be capable of at least 4 MOA! That is not difficult to beat.
Comparing the SA80 with a free-floated AR 15 is a bit like comparing an Opel with a Porsche.
But then who wants a Porsche, when you can have a Ferrari or Lamborghini?:)

I didn't say match accurate, it was simply more accurate than the SLR, which was supposed to be capable of at least 4 MOA! That is not difficult to beat.
Comparing the SA80 with a free-floated AR 15 is a bit like comparing an Opel with a Porsche.
But then who wants a Porsche, when you can have a Ferrari or Lamborghini?:)
The machine rest accuracy spec for the SA80 was:
@30m, 5 rounds into 36mm.
If it failed but was under 48mm, a 2nd 5 shots were fired, and if the average of the 2 groups was under 36mm then it passed.

36mm @ 30m is 4.25 MOA.

The real difference is the optic, the low recoil and being able to rest the mag on the ground, IMHO

ugly

LE
The real difference is the optic,
For once an optic with a pointer from below which didn't seem to mask the target. Pointers are shit. The SUSAT pointer was better than the suit pointer but still a shit idea.

Wasn't part of the success of the SA80 A2 being fitted with the ACOG and/or Elcan sight rather than the SUSAT?

Wasn't part of the success of the SA80 A2 being fitted with the ACOG and/or Elcan sight rather than the SUSAT?
Except it wasn't until those were bought as a UOR for Afghan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dicky Ticker Miscellaneous Jokes 0
Dogdrool Waltenkommando 32
supermatelot The NAAFI Bar 88