Bloke on the Range videos

Every time someone says "and the extractor rips the head off the case" in the context of a (delayed) blowback, Baby Jesus sporterises a rare Lee-Enfield :D
I had an el cheapo 22Lr conversion kit for my Ruger Mini 14, which developed the charming habit of ripping of the heads of some brands of ammo. I suspect that the blow back happened a bit to quickly thus enabling the pressure to rip the case apart. Having a shower of sharp bits of brass round my face lead me to the decision to get rid of the kit.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well that's me put in me place then....!

In my defence, the bit about the primary extraction in FAL/BREN/EM2 was what was told to me by Dan Raschen back in the day... and I don't think I was suggesting the blow backs needed primary extraction.. my point was that if you don't have it, it leads to other issues...

My main point however remains that in (some!) rotary bolt guns, the point of maximum resistance is at the end of the closing cycle, whereas this occurs earlier in rocking bolt designs... I was always led to believe this assisted in more reliable chambering and lack of the need for "forward assist"..

Obviously opinions vary...!
Isn't the EM2 Flapper/Rolling Lock whilst FAL and Bren are Tilting Block?

EM2 bolt shown from 18.30mins onwards

Last edited:
Isn't the EM2 Flapper/Rolling Lock whilst FAL and Bren are Tilting Block

EM2 bolt shown from 18.30mins onwards

the EM2 bolt carrier has radial flaps that lock on the receiver. The FAL action was based on the Tokarev SVT I think..

I was always led to believe that with both systems there was a slow(ish) initial extraction via a camming action that broke the initial stick, followed by the full extraction.. and that this leverage was also used to lever a sticky case into the breech to minimise "out of battery" stoppages on the loading part of the cycle..

However, as we see, opinions vary!

the EM2 bolt carrier has radial flaps that lock on the receiver. The FAL action was based on the Tokarev SVT I think..

I was always led to believe that with both systems there was a slow(ish) initial extraction via a camming action that broke the initial stick, followed by the full extraction.. and that this leverage was also used to lever a sticky case into the breech to minimise "out of battery" stoppages on the loading part of the cycle..

However, as we see, opinions vary!
Some people in the military were even of the opinion that you could fire Soviet 7.62mm in a FAL (the number of times I heard that and I wasn't even properly in the military)...

As you say, opinions vary....

With flaps there's also nowhere this "camming action" can possibly come from. I'll make a point of filming it as and when I can get my camera around a G43. Ditto FAL.

Some people in the military were even of the opinion that you could fire Soviet 7.62mm in a FAL (the number of times I heard that and I wasn't even properly in the military)...

As you say, opinions vary....

With flaps there's also nowhere this "camming action" can possibly come from. I'll make a point of filming it as and when I can get my camera around a G43. Ditto FAL.
I think that's a bit harsh Stoaty.. Col Dan Raschen was SO2 Light Weapons at Shriv, so was not really in the "7.62x54R in a FAL" brigade.. you have to be dyed in the green SASC to make that claim..

I will be most interested to see your evidence..

I think that's a bit harsh Stoaty.. Col Dan Raschen was SO2 Light Weapons at Shriv, so was not really in the "7.62x54R in a FAL" brigade.. you have to be dyed in the green SASC to make that claim..

I will be most interested to see your evidence..
Betchat the bolt doesn't move backwards enough for the extractor to even touch the rim (if at all) on ANY of those mentioned until fully unlocked, at which point it will move 1:1 with the carrier :)

A pox on all of you who encouraged this folly! :D

And yes, no rifle sling, no small pack, gaiters on the wrong legs :p

I may have said this before but ...

View attachment 339872
You're right....

So I'm going to end up with 2 rigs - that one, standard inf, and one that I can switch easily between pistol and cartridge carriers. All in KG3 green.

And the advantage of blancoing? I can use cheap RAF blue webbing, cos the blanco does exactly what is says on the tin... I mean bottle... But my lawd it's expensive! Took me 2 bottles to get that lot done (incl. haversack, haversack straps, a revolver ammo pouch and another belt), not doing the invisible sides. That's £20 worth!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dicky Ticker Miscellaneous Jokes 0
Dogdrool Waltenkommando 32
supermatelot The NAAFI Bar 88