Bloke on the Range videos

Half of all Youtube commenters are of below average intelligence.
He definitely is, if he can't remember what an average is (on average, taught to 11-12 year old kids)...

He definitely is, if he can't remember what an average is (on average, taught to 11-12 year old kids)...
Just to be the Devil’s advocate, there’s a difference between stupid and ignorant, which may have to be borne in mind.

On top of that, frame of reference may be fogging the issue. Average for a total population may not be average for the military population, given that recruiting standards will tend to remove the lower tail of the bell curve. Although I don’t know the stats well enough to know if that will make much of a difference, or how much technical roles and self selection will skim off the top, so it may well bring the overall back down.

Although at least one of the characters complaining did then go on to establish his ignorance on the subject without question.

Just to be the Devil’s advocate, there’s a difference between stupid and ignorant, which may have to be borne in mind.

On top of that, frame of reference may be fogging the issue. Average for a total population may not be average for the military population, given that recruiting standards will tend to remove the lower tail of the bell curve. Although I don’t know the stats well enough to know if that will make much of a difference, or how much technical roles and self selection will skim off the top, so it may well bring the overall back down.

Although at least one of the characters complaining did then go on to establish his ignorance on the subject without question.
It was in the context of a conscript boomstick, so the military intake would indeed reflect the general population, unless reserved occupations a) represented a very large proportion of the population, and b) skew massively one way or the other. Both of which I doubt.

It was in the context of a conscript boomstick, so the military intake would indeed reflect the general population, unless reserved occupations a) represented a very large proportion of the population, and b) skew massively one way or the other. Both of which I doubt.
Even a conscript military will have a lower limit cut-off, which would tend to push the military average higher than the general population. On the other hand, selection for more technical roles will tend (or at least aim) to take the higher end out of the infantry, so that would push the rifle-User average down.

Not knowing the actual statistical impact of these alterations, I couldn’t say if it was significant or not. All told, I’d guess not

Even a conscript military will have a lower limit cut-off, which would tend to push the military average higher than the general population.
I refute this with three two words: Royal Pioneer Corps :D :D :D

(or is that unkind? :p )

I see you have DEEREMEYER1 commenting on your videos . He used to support or is the same person as someone called Marine something or other who pathologically hated Brits and just used to post videos or British battles lost , how bad the Enfield was , Mad minute myth etc .

Total nut jobs .

I refute this with three two words: Royal Pioneer Corps :D:D:D

(or is that unkind? :p )
You could use that as evidence that the impact of diverting the top end to other tasks is more significant than the entry standard, or that some other factor is affecting your favoured target, but taking the bottom end of a population out is going to result in a higher average.

You could use that as evidence that the impact of diverting the top end to other tasks is more significant than the entry standard, or that some other factor is affecting your favoured target, but taking the bottom end of a population out is going to result in a higher average.
I was always under the impression that the bottom end were simply siphoned into the Pioneers to dig ditches and cut trees.

Anyone who's had to work with them I guess....'cos they're all thick twats apparently

Gone fishin'

Even a conscript military will have a lower limit cut-off, which would tend to push the military average higher than the general population. On the other hand, selection for more technical roles will tend (or at least aim) to take the higher end out of the infantry, so that would push the rifle-User average down.

Not knowing the actual statistical impact of these alterations, I couldn’t say if it was significant or not. All told, I’d guess not
Given that there isn't a really good objective definition for what "intelligence" is, nor how such a number, however derived, would relate to the ability to operate a rifle, there's really no point in splitting hairs over the precise average level of intelligence of a conscript army.

The point that matters so far as designing a service rifle is concerned is that a conscript army is broadly representative of the overall male population of the same age range. Given that, the rifle should be robust, simple, and be able to be operated by the mechanically inept, as there will be plenty of the latter in the ranks just as there is in society as a whole.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Uncle_Fetser Aviation 0
H Weapons, Equipment & Rations 6
BedIn AGC, RAPTC and SASC 33