Bloke on the Range videos

HE117

LE
We had one of those blow up not so long ago..

My money was on the "loaded pistol powder instead of rifle powder" ploy, however there was also some evidence of dodgy barrel work in the past..

Make sure your's is sound if you have one, as they were not the strongest of actions...!

We had one of those blow up not so long ago..

My money was on the "loaded pistol powder instead of rifle powder" ploy, however there was also some evidence of dodgy barrel work in the past..

Make sure your's is sound if you have one, as they were not the strongest of actions...!
I think it was the American version of the Krag-Jorgensen which was particularly suspect. They made changes to the design tolerances to make it easier to manufacture but which effectively left it with only one (if I recall correctly) locking lug actually functioning. The ones made by the other countries which used it didn't have that problem.

Our version of the Arnold Schwarzenegger gearing up scene from Commando:

ugly

LE
I think the height difference on sights is less to do with bullpups and more to do with the fact that the sight is mounted on a rail on top of a carrying handle affair. Remove that lot and mount directly on the body then the difference would be less marked!
Even using a slim rail like the L85 would massively reduce it!
The configuration reminds me of early scoped AR rifles.
Apart from that well done with that sight

I think the height difference on sights is less to do with bullpups and more to do with the fact that the sight is mounted on a rail on top of a carrying handle affair. Remove that lot and mount directly on the body then the difference would be less marked!
Even using a slim rail like the L85 would massively reduce it!
The configuration reminds me of early scoped AR rifles.
Apart from that well done with that sight
You can't actually get your head much lower. The emergency iron sights are crap, and I can only just get my eye to them.

ugly

LE
You can't actually get your head much lower. The emergency iron sights are crap, and I can only just get my eye to them.
That’s a fault of that design rather than it being a bull pup though

All BP's have really high sight-line-over-bore-lines though...

It's because it's a in line design with the barrel well below the top of the butt plate. Most conventional layouts either place the barrel above the top of the butt plate, or just in line with the very tip of it.

Have a look at "conventional" layout rifles. The stock is generally offset down below the top of the rest of the rifle. There may be a few which aren't, but I can't think of one off hand.

With bullpups however, the butt plate is inherently in line with the barrel. There's no other way to do it because there is no intervening stock to allow you to create an offset.

If you are designing the rifle to use iron sights that you don't want to have stick up any higher than necessary, then you need more butt plate offset to allow for that. Most bullpups though seem to have been designed for optics which inherently tended to provide that offset so it wasn't really a problem.

The problem is that the very newest optics (including their mounts) are much more compact than the older ones, which tends to bring the sight offset back down again. The mount to the rifle needs to be taller to compensate for this, but there aren't a lot on the civilian market since that is oriented to the US market where nearly everybody tends to use some sort of AR derivative. There probably aren't any optics manufacturers designing products specifically for the Bushmaster M17S.

So yes, the actual issue is that nobody is making modern accessories for obscure old rifles.

K&M Aerospace make a rail for M17's which is at the right height for using optics intended for AR's. It's raised.

No, no you didn't...

1627662161571.png

Ye gods.
Surely this is trolling? No one can seriously believe that running a bolt action with the left hand makes any kind of sense?
I think he's saying that reloading with the left hand makes sense. But it doesn't.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I think he's saying that reloading with the left hand makes sense. But it doesn't.
Well when I was taking scalps in the Colombian jungle I often used my SAS issue machete in the left hand so that my furious right handed masturbation stroke wasn’t put off....

What does he even mean by "when I did the mad min in training"? What training? By whom? Why? Where? When? With what sort of rifle? Who is conducting formal training of groups in rapid fire of bolt action rifles these days? The statement means nothing without context and that's before you get to whether or not it made any sense to reload left handed.

Even if we accepted the idea that he actually did it rather than just imagined it, why would anyone train people to do a mad minute while reloading left handed when the entire rest of their training would have involved training them to do it right handed? They would be lucky to even get the charger in before the minute expired.

Latest Threads