Bloke on the Range videos

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If memory serves, the Brit contingent that wound up in Norway was en route for much sunnier climes when re-tasked, and landed in Noggie land with skis, but without the necessary leathern straps for the ski-bindings.

I don't recall ever seeing photos of bog-standard Brit infantry circa 1940 clad in those garments.

Commandoes, maybe, a bit later.

The jumpers tended to be issued to SOE & Paras, but were also issued to those stationed in Iceland and Greenland

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
If memory serves, the Brit contingent that wound up in Norway was en route for much sunnier climes when re-tasked, and landed in Noggie land with skis, but without the necessary leathern straps for the ski-bindings.

I don't recall ever seeing photos of bog-standard Brit infantry circa 1940 clad in those garments.

Commandoes, maybe, a bit later.
Thought that was the French Chasseurs Alpins? Mentioned in World At War by Olivier (dear, dear Larry).

Our only "ski troops" in 1940, the specially formed 5th Battalion Scots Guards were trained up for deployment to Finland and couldn't go to Norway as they'd been disbanded on the capitulation of the Finns*. The British troops sent to Norway were normally equipped and had no ski equipment on general issue (and no ski training), which led to their being restricted to moving on roads in the valleys whilst the Germans could outflank them on the hills. A large proportion were TA formations and the level of training was apparently not up to scratch.

*Although "Mad Mike" Calvert who'd resigned his RE commission to join 5SG, managed to get his commission back and toddled off to Norway as a Captain, with a motorbike, an RE Sgt and a rucksack full of gelignite, and proceeded to have a marvellous time blowing up bridges and the like, as Engineers are wont to do when let off the leash.

Thought that was the French Chasseurs Alpins? Mentioned in World At War by Olivier (dear, dear Larry).

Our only "ski troops" in 1940, the specially formed 5th Battalion Scots Guards were trained up for deployment to Finland and couldn't go to Norway as they'd been disbanded on the capitulation of the Finns*. The British troops sent to Norway were normally equipped and had no ski equipment on general issue (and no ski training), which led to their being restricted to moving on roads in the valleys whilst the Germans could outflank them on the hills. A large proportion were TA formations and the level of training was apparently not up to scratch.

*Although "Mad Mike" Calvert who'd resigned his RE commission to join 5SG, managed to get his commission back and toddled off to Norway as a Captain, with a motorbike, an RE Sgt and a rucksack full of gelignite, and proceeded to have a marvellous time blowing up bridges and the like, as Engineers are wont to do when let off the leash.
Thanks for that. I've not read up on the Norway debacle since my early 20s.

. . . and it shows . . . :-D

ugly

LE
Thanks for that. I've not read up on the Norway debacle since my early 20s.

. . . and it shows . . . :-D
This is a bit like reinforcing family aural history which we often know is wrong!
I’m often drawn to the statement that crocodile or wasp crews were executed on capture by the enemy yet no one ever offers a decent source!
The campaign was badly run, a typical cockup where there seemed to be a lack of combined ops type planning.

This is a bit like reinforcing family aural history which we often know is wrong!
I’m often drawn to the statement that crocodile or wasp crews were executed on capture by the enemy yet no one ever offers a decent source!
The campaign was badly run, a typical cockup where there seemed to be a lack of combined ops type planning.
Currently reading Normandy by James Holland it mentions one Lt by name and his crew from a Churchill Crocodile who were executed by the SS when they surrendered after there tank being knocked out and says that other flame vehicle crews could expect rough treatment when captured
i recommended this book it dispelled loads of myths I believed about overlord and Normandy

Currently reading Normandy by James Holland it mentions one Lt by name and his crew from a Churchill Crocodile who were executed by the SS when they surrendered after there tank being knocked out and says that other flame vehicle crews could expect rough treatment when captured
i recommended this book it dispelled loads of myths I believed about overlord and Normandy
Personally, I'd treat Mr Holland's works with a certain degree of caution.

For those of us who ain't connaisseurs (I had to look it up, in case you meant connOisseurs ) . .

. . . . WTF is the prog rock reference???
This.

I've chosen to expose you to the live version from 1976 with Bill Bruford on drums for more epicality :D

This.

I've chosen to expose you to the live version from 1976 with Bill Bruford on drums for more epicality :D
Thank you for that

You have confirmed that the absence from my 1970s music collection of any recordings by Genesis is well justified.

For the record, I managed 6 minutes, before my missus (a dyed-in-the-wool 1980s Genesis fan) complained about 'that effing dirge' and bade me silence it :-D

Last edited:
1615471776922.png

4(T)

LE

On your head be it it if you put up a YouTube about headspace..... you will open a Pandora's Box of myths and legends from across the sea.

Striker protrusion gauge is very useful, particularly with the wide range of primers you get in surplus, commercial and reloaded ammo. Handy to be able to straight-off eliminate the striker as cause of pierced primers or light strikes.

On your head be it it if you put up a YouTube about headspace..... you will open a Pandora's Box of myths and legends from across the sea.

Striker protrusion gauge is very useful, particularly with the wide range of primers you get in surplus, commercial and reloaded ammo. Handy to be able to straight-off eliminate the striker as cause of pierced primers or light strikes.
Do you watch Anvil? I don't know how right he is, or how accurate, but I found the way he explained Headspace to be quite informative.

Latest Threads