Bloke on the Range videos

Remember the SA80 has a long-assed and fairly thick in section barrel that goes back almost to the butt-plate. That's going to increase both the real and perceived weight of the weapon.

Things ain't going to get much lighter until carbon-fibre barrels become far more ubiquitous from what they are now.

Yes the barrel is heavy, but it does at least justify it's mass. The back end though, excluding barrel and bolt, still seems strangely heavy even though it feels like tat.
On that note, does anybody know what an SA80 barrel on it's own weighs?

Funbaby

Old-Salt
So how do you mount these Optic things anyway?

View attachment 552497
Cool, but not as cool as this tactical rail...
1413284D-77F4-494B-941D-A55670854541.jpeg

Training scars are real. This rifle has a safety that you can get at with your firing hand thumb. But due to being trained on L98A1 and L85A1 more than half a lifetime ago, when I get on the timer with a bullpup I go back to mama and start using my support hand to apply the safety like I'd learned back in the day. Didn't even realise I was doing it until I was editing, and then went "oh, wow..."

1614880626968.png

when I get on the timer with a bullpup I go back to mama and start using my support hand to apply the safety like I'd learned back in the day.
Technical term, IIRC, is "overlearned response".

Overlearned responses can get you killed.​
Unfamiliar weapon? Unfamiliar reserve parachute deployment system ?​
Go back to basics: drill yerself like it was the first one you ever got your hands on.

Yeah: especially the OG trousers in the flashback segment . . . ;-)

ETA: @stoatman - that snood = very practical headwear. But it's NOT how Proper British Soldiers wear a headover/cap comforter . . . . . . unless they want to feature in "Search for an Un-Ally Star"​
You have been warned. I'll make that my 1st chore over breakfast tomorrow (if I can remember my chore list for that long)​

Last edited:

Funbaby

Old-Salt
Been running a JP silent captured spring in my m4gery for a few years; very nice upgrade .

Might have to pick up on of those PDQ levers.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Training scars are real. This rifle has a safety that you can get at with your firing hand thumb. But due to being trained on L98A1 and L85A1 more than half a lifetime ago, when I get on the timer with a bullpup I go back to mama and start using my support hand to apply the safety like I'd learned back in the day. Didn't even realise I was doing it until I was editing, and then went "oh, wow..."

View attachment 554457
"Resistance is futile!"

Yeah: especially the OG trousers in the flashback segment . . . ;-)

ETA: @stoatman - that snood = very practical headwear. But it's NOT how Proper British Soldiers wear a headover/cap comforter . . . . . . unless they want to feature in "Search for an Un-Ally Star"​
You have been warned. I'll make that my 1st chore over breakfast tomorrow (if I can remember my chore list for that long)​

It's actually an East German neck tube (identical style to the WW2 German ones) so isn't long enough to do anything clever with like you can with a headover / cap comforter :)

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

It's actually an East German neck tube (identical style to the WW2 German ones) so isn't long enough to do anything clever with like you can with a headover / cap comforter :)

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
1. It should be worn like a balaclava helmet, in that case. :thumbdown:

2. Your besnooded head'n'shoulders are immortalised as promised on the 'un-ally' thread (as by now you will doubtless be aware) :-D
3. The latter may even drive a little more traffic to your video. :thumright:
4. I applaud Mr Mcullomb's headwear therein - I too have one of those :thumleft:

1. It should be worn like a balaclava helmet, in that case. :thumbdown:

2. Your besnooded head'n'shoulders are immortalised as promised on the 'un-ally' thread (as by now you will doubtless be aware) :-D
3. The latter may even drive a little more traffic to your video. :thumright:
4. I applaud Mr Mcullomb's headwear therein - I too have one of those :thumleft:
Lol. It's not actually long enough or wide enough to wear as a balaclava. It's entirely unsatisfactory like that.

And since I am by definition un-ally, fair-do's :D

Here's a split screen of my 2 runs of Remote Brutality. Obviously I'm more tired on the 2nd one, but I had no idea until I did the editing that I was unnecessarily applying the safety SA80 style with my left thumb instead of my right. Funny how 20+ years later, the programming from when I was a teenager was still strong, to the point where I didn't even realise I was doing it... But you can see quite how much slower it is than with the M16...

Here's a split screen of my 2 runs of Remote Brutality. Obviously I'm more tired on the 2nd one, but I had no idea until I did the editing that I was unnecessarily applying the safety SA80 style with my left thumb instead of my right. Funny how 20+ years later, the programming from when I was a teenager was still strong, to the point where I didn't even realise I was doing it... But you can see quite how much slower it is than with the M16...

See my #3,826.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Looks like you're having fun, there was an issue wool ski cap with fold down ears that would have been far more practical, and an issue Extreme cold weather jumper that would have kept you snug too.

7815aab9f359ec69_Front500.jpg
a-good-wwii-british-army-mountain-troop-cap-which-is-1943-dated_17569_pic4_size1.jpg

I have worn battledress
I have fired the No 4​
I have soldiered in two bleak winters in northern Scandinavia*​
. . . . . but I have not done all three simultaneously.​
Hat duly doffed.
= = = = = = =

* The first of them with but 3 days of instruction, only some of which was about X-country skiing, before endeavouring to lead a Company of soldiers on their 3rd AMF(L) deployment :thumright: :-D

Looks like you're having fun, there was an issue wool ski cap with fold down ears that would have been far more practical, and an issue Extreme cold weather jumper that would have kept you snug too.

View attachment 555268View attachment 555269
If memory serves, the Brit contingent that wound up in Norway was en route for much sunnier climes when re-tasked, and landed in Noggie land with skis, but without the necessary leathern straps for the ski-bindings.

I don't recall ever seeing photos of bog-standard Brit infantry circa 1940 clad in those garments.

Commandoes, maybe, a bit later.