Bloke on the Range videos

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I couldn't possibly comment :D

They have a proprietary jig for it that they didn't want to be shown, and as you know, some customers don't like to see their baby having a new barrel torqued up.

BTW I'm surprised that no Americans have commented that at no point was headspace checked!
To be fair, it's one of the few occasions when checking the CHS makes sense....

4(T)

LE

They have a proprietary jig for it that they didn't want to be shown, and as you know, some customers don't like to see their baby having a new barrel torqued up.

BTW I'm surprised that no Americans have commented that at no point was headspace checked!

As a matter of interest, was he going to dissemble the rifle again and put the bits through an ultrasonic cleaner or similar? I was wincing, watching all that shiny new kit being bolted to a receiver plastered in grime and grease.

I thought that one of the tricks of the gun trade was to do minimal work on the rifle, but then quickly wash it down in Youngs 303 so that it looks gleaming and refurbished to the customer?

As a matter of interest, was he going to dissemble the rifle again and put the bits through an ultrasonic cleaner or similar? I was wincing, watching all that shiny new kit being bolted to a receiver plastered in grime and grease.

I thought that one of the tricks of the gun trade was to do minimal work on the rifle, but then quickly wash it down in Youngs 303 so that it looks gleaming and refurbished to the customer?

Yes, he cleaned it afterwards. It's time-consuming so he didn't do it while I was there. I think he mentioned it, unless I cut that bit out.

Nomad1382

War Hero

The only time I've thought about headspace was mounting a .50 barrel. What I'd like to figure out is how to get a $400 Stg57 into the states.

The only time I've thought about headspace was mounting a .50 barrel. What I'd like to figure out is how to get a $400 Stg57 into the states.

Since it'll be a downconversion from full auto, if you can't import it as a class 3 dealer sample you can't.

Cheeky!!!

What was the 10 Rd stripper clip designed for?
Someone suggested they're actually NCStar commercial ones. I had a look and he's probably right.

OK, by rights this shouldn't work (Swedish Mauser chargers). Cos they're floating in mid-air like that. But it does. Better than the correct NATO chargers for which the bridge modification is designed. Far better. In every possible way...

1611090662320.png

HE117

LE
These were used for a while in "Tin City" in Sennelager. Not sure where they came from or whether the procurement loop was "legal"!

Regarding your remark about "blue for drill ammunition", may I slightly correct you.. dark blue in the NATO marking system indicates inert ammunition for loading practice, although UK hung on to "chrome with red grooves" for drill small arms ammunition. Light blue indicates "Practice" ammunition which typically has an inert projectile, but with an "ert" propulsion system, which has caught the unwary over the years, and is capable of killing you quite severely!

Drill Inert ammunition should have "Drill INERT" marked on them in white letters.

Fully chromed small arms ammunition without the red marks should indicate an armourer's inspection round, which is made to higher tolerances than a normal drill round. Unfortunately whoever designed the 94 aiming rifle was not aware of this, and had the top round in the magazine chromed as an anti corrosion measure! (Not the only "issue" with this weapon!)

4(T)

LE
Fully chromed small arms ammunition without the red marks should indicate an armourer's inspection round, which is made to higher tolerances than a normal drill round. Unfortunately whoever designed the 94 aiming rifle was not aware of this, and had the top round in the magazine chromed as an anti corrosion measure! (Not the only "issue" with this weapon!)

I've got a box of 303 inspection rounds somewhere. They have a soft matt/satin finish to them, which I assumed was intended to provide witness marks when used - ie to reveal chamber scratches/burrs, etc?

HE117

LE
I've got a box of 303 inspection rounds somewhere. They have a soft matt/satin finish to them, which I assumed was intended to provide witness marks when used - ie to reveal chamber scratches/burrs, etc?
...you may be overthinking this!

Unfortunately whoever designed the 94 aiming rifle was not aware of this, and had the top round in the magazine chromed as an anti corrosion measure! (Not the only "issue" with this weapon!)
Given that the LAW80 was a “wooden” round, why would that have been a problem?

4(T)

LE
...you may be overthinking this!

Probably!

I asked a WW2 armourer how they fixed No1/4 receivers where the bolt head was jumping the rail. Was it gauged and then cast?

"No. We put an axe head in the mag slot and hit it with a lump hammer. That bent the rail back into contact."

And, what happens if you twist the receiver during rebarrelling? Was it gauged and then cast, etc?

"No, you just put a bar through the receiver and twist it back the other way."

Sadly, the chap passed away before I could complete my gunsmithing apprenticeship....

These were used for a while in "Tin City" in Sennelager. Not sure where they came from or whether the procurement loop was "legal"!

Regarding your remark about "blue for drill ammunition", may I slightly correct you.. dark blue in the NATO marking system indicates inert ammunition for loading practice, although UK hung on to "chrome with red grooves" for drill small arms ammunition. Light blue indicates "Practice" ammunition which typically has an inert projectile, but with an "ert" propulsion system, which has caught the unwary over the years, and is capable of killing you quite severely!

Drill Inert ammunition should have "Drill INERT" marked on them in white letters.

Purely for information. I have tucked away in my box of bits in the attic a fired 9mm blank plastic round. It's red.

Latest Threads