Bloke on the Range videos

HE117

LE
Way back in the last minellium, we had a gizmo that sat on top of SLR and LMG mags and allowed filling from strippers. Only ever remember 5 rd stripper clips but assume 10rd ones would work too.

Further to my above; Adaptor, Magazine, Charging, 7.62mm, L1A1, 1005-99-960-2264.

tiv

LE
Maybe why they did this back then?

C7BBAC20-C7C2-4C0A-9400-1D202CC7E383.jpeg

Cheeky!!!

What was the 10 Rd stripper clip designed for?
I don't actually know... It's unmarked. I presume that some country thought they were a good idea for refilling 7.62 mags with an adapter.

BTW my SLR mag adapter disappeared in the house move (it's around *somewhere*.... probably) so if anyone had one they could sell/lend me for another Strip Club (to see if the 10 rounders at least work with that) I'd be very grateful :)

Maybe why they did this back then?

View attachment 538263
Those frame chargers were a terrible idea, frankly... They turn up in both 5 and 10 round sizes too... The extra bulk in the equipment from the loop at the top is quite something.

Tyk

LE
I don't actually know... It's unmarked. I presume that some country thought they were a good idea for refilling 7.62 mags with an adapter.

BTW my SLR mag adapter disappeared in the house move (it's around *somewhere*.... probably) so if anyone had one they could sell/lend me for another Strip Club (to see if the 10 rounders at least work with that) I'd be very grateful :)

Cheers, I did wonder if it was a "good idea" solution to a not so pressing problem. As said up thread maybe for the 7.62 BREN it makes some sense, but it doesn't look overly portable, would it fit any sort of bandolier you're aware of?
It stands out in stark contrast to the M1 8 round en-bloc clip which is compact, ergonomic and from what I've seen (including your vids) really easy to manipulate.

Those frame chargers were a terrible idea, frankly... They turn up in both 5 and 10 round sizes too... The extra bulk in the equipment from the loop at the top is quite something.

I was thinking the same thing, that loop and the rounds look about as bulky if not worse than a magazine (certainly in practicality terms) for an FN rifle. I've seen it before in a few places and it just looks a bit pointless.

Boy found the solution with the 10 round chargers!!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Scream, splutter, howl it's up to you really

Oh God help us.

Some people just go out of their way to be cnuts, don't they?

4(T)

LE

Very interesting vid. Nice look at the locking parts of the Stg57. Very brave of Robert to do the work on film: I feel very uncomfortable working on someone's rifle whilst they are stood there watching - can't use the big hammer, some part will go ping, and bound to chew a screw head or something...

The conversion brings to mind "lipstick on a pig", though! Premium match sights on a bendy, flexible rifle with a sackful of parts all going shake, rattle and roll. Still, probably fun to shoot in its specific class.

Seeing how the multiple "variables" are addressed by G&E, I did wonder if the class might be a bit pay-to-win in that gunsmithing and parts selection probably impact the results?

Pity we Brits were never allowed to develop L1A1 shooting along similar lines; I think the FAL would be a better platform for faux precision/ shagged out army rifle shooting, given the much simpler locking system.

p.s. I won an APWT-style shooting match whilst i was attached the the Swiss army. Watching the vid, I now wonder if it was because "my" Stg57 (yes, it was that long ago that this was still the current rifle!) was a fairly pristine pool weapon from the depot armoury, and not one of the personal weapons used by my hosts. I also opted out of using the bipod, which possibly tightened up the dispersion a bit.

Did you manage to souvenir any bits off his workbench?

Very interesting vid. Nice look at the locking parts of the Stg57. Very brave of Robert to do the work on film: I feel very uncomfortable working on someone's rifle whilst they are stood there watching - can't use the big hammer, some part will go ping, and bound to chew a screw head or something...

The conversion brings to mind "lipstick on a pig", though! Premium match sights on a bendy, flexible rifle with a sackful of parts all going shake, rattle and roll. Still, probably fun to shoot in its specific class.

Seeing how the multiple "variables" are addressed by G&E, I did wonder if the class might be a bit pay-to-win in that gunsmithing and parts selection probably impact the results?

Pity we Brits were never allowed to develop L1A1 shooting along similar lines; I think the FAL would be a better platform for faux precision/ shagged out army rifle shooting, given the much simpler locking system.

p.s. I won an APWT-style shooting match whilst i was attached the the Swiss army. Watching the vid, I now wonder if it was because "my" Stg57 (yes, it was that long ago that this was still the current rifle!) was a fairly pristine pool weapon from the depot armoury, and not one of the personal weapons used by my hosts. I also opted out of using the bipod, which possibly tightened up the dispersion a bit.

Did you manage to souvenir any bits off his workbench?
Thx :)

The souped-up 57's outshoot the 90's and straight pulls, so have their own range of scores for medals in competitions where it's all mixed in (normally the 90's and straight pulls and unmodded 57's have the same category, there's 1 for the souped up 57's and one for the Standardgewehr "target rifles"). There's 2 of the "big hammer" type incidents to which you refer that are missing from the vid on Robert's request: the barrel change (partly cos their rig is proprietory and partly cos... you know....) and fitting the muzzle brake.

My takeaway was a few weeks prior - he overhauled my 57 that didn't shoot straight with the original barrel off a customer's rifle that had been upgraded but the original barrel was still more than good (mine had a tight spot in the middle) and sorted out the working parts for mate's rates :)

Oh, and btw there is no torque spec for fitting the barrel, and never was. It's also not indexed. So apparently on some factory refurbs they're massively overtorqued cos the factory drone just lay into the wrench...

4(T)

LE
Oh, and btw there is no torque spec for fitting the barrel, and never was. It's also not indexed. So apparently on some factory refurbs they're massively overtorqued cos the factory drone just lay into the wrench...

Perhaps Robert's proprietory method involves a scaffold pole extension to the barrel wrench and a lot of swearing.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps Robert's proprietory method involves a scaffold pole extension to the barrel wrench and a lot of swearing.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Accepted procedure for torqueing up L85 / 86 barrels was (using correctly calibrated and set up torque wrench) graunch till it clicked, check for alignment, then graunch further as required and check CHS. The ridiculousness of not being able to graunch the barrels on if the Torque wrench was out of calibration was seldom commented on, a bit of "emperor's new torque wrench" mentality from on high.

I couldn't possibly comment :D

They have a proprietary jig for it that they didn't want to be shown, and as you know, some customers don't like to see their baby having a new barrel torqued up.

BTW I'm surprised that no Americans have commented that at no point was headspace checked!

Latest Threads