Bloke on the Range videos

Shot one after the other. .303 1943 Long Branch 2-groove (correct stocking-up) on the left, the Sterling 7.62 conversion on the right (it's basically free floating with a slight touch at about 4-5 o'clock from the shooter's perspective:

1609154275336.png

After Finland I'll (reversibly) play with the stocking-up, probably shimming at the normal place for a centre bedding.

Also can confirm that 303 recoils more than 7.62 out of otherwise identical rifles :)

Funbaby

Old-Salt
If there were, I'd lay money you wouldn't study it.

Just sayin'.
I was joking, but given the slightly anoraky nature of the thread’s content I wouldn’t be surprised if accurate measurements had been taken with some exotic piece of electronic wizardry to support the claim.

Also I love data. Am guessing about 10% more recoil from the .303.

Last edited:
I was joking, but given the slightly anoraky nature of the thread’s content I wouldn’t be surprised if accurate measurements had been taken with some exotic piece of electronic wizardry to support the claim.

Also I love data. Am guessing about 10% more recoil from the .303.
10% more recoil momentum, energy or force? ;)

And I'll be able to measure the recoil acceleration (and hence force) soon when Neil has made me an adaptor for my accelerometer.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Funbaby

Old-Salt
(About 10% more from the .303?)
10% more recoil momentum, energy or force? ;)

And I'll be able to measure the recoil acceleration (and hence force) soon when Neil has made me an adaptor for my accelerometer.
Force as I was using F=ma , the bullets weights and speeds from the previous table and a lot of assumptions regarding constants for my guesstimate.

(About 10% more from the .303?)

Force as I was using F=ma , the bullets weights and speeds from the previous table and a lot of assumptions regarding constants for my guesstimate.
The easiest thing to do is compare momentum. (Mass(bullet) x Velocity(bullet)) + (Mass(powder) x 4000 fps). Since this equals the momentum of the rifle recoiling.

Cos apparently for some people elsewhere, identifying what is/isn't rear locking is very, very hard for some inexplicable reason. So for illustration, we have a 1903 Springfield, K31 (as front lockers), then a CLLE, No.4, Swiss M1911 and Swiss M1889. All referenced on the bolt faces. The "problem" case is the M1911, where the locking surfaces are even further from the bolt face than with the 2 types of Lee-Enfields...

1609692347632.png

HE117

LE
Excellent stuff... I need to do this on my .297/.230 Morris die set, particularly as the case is so tiny that shot start pressures are quite significant! Anyone who is fighting with this calibre may be interested to know that the best propellant to use is 2400! Having tried Bullseye and Unique neither seem to produce consistent ballistics... My current load is 3gn (usual disclaimers apply!)

The other "round tuit" project that has been hanging around is how to modify lube dies to fill the external lube ring on .310 Cadet... Any thoughts?

Excellent stuff... I need to do this on my .297/.230 Morris die set, particularly as the case is so tiny that shot start pressures are quite significant! Anyone who is fighting with this calibre may be interested to know that the best propellant to use is 2400! Having tried Bullseye and Unique neither seem to produce consistent ballistics... My current load is 3gn (usual disclaimers apply!)

The other "round tuit" project that has been hanging around is how to modify lube dies to fill the external lube ring on .310 Cadet... Any thoughts?

2400 is a definite exclamation mark! That's really slow for that kind of role and 3g is probably the smallest charge for it in history!!!

For the Cadet, IIRC that's been done - you make an ejector pin for the sizing die to fit the heel of the bullet leaving the lube groove as the only place for the lube to go.

HE117

LE
2400 is a definite exclamation mark! That's really slow for that kind of role and 3g is probably the smallest charge for it in history!!!

For the Cadet, IIRC that's been done - you make an ejector pin for the sizing die to fit the heel of the bullet leaving the lube groove as the only place for the lube to go.
I have to admit it surprised me.. but it seems to work!

I suspect the length of the barrel may have something to do with it.. the kick that the bullet gets from Bullseye may be too sharp and not sustained enough.. dunno! Groups deffo smaller!

2400 is a seriously odd powder.. I believe it was originally developed for the .22 Hornet, although there are loadings for the .47-50 using it! I have always used 8gn of 2400 for my .310, although it is only recently I saw something from Oz that suggested it was good in the Morris!

Immer lernen...!

Well the trajectory on that is amazing... I was worried that people would sh*t on me for it! :D

1610305346109.png

And a little teaser... The thumbnail is playing it straight. The actual video.... rather less so!

FB2021-thumb_3.jpg