Bloke on the Range videos

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Not so much "climb" as a tendency to track a group bottom left to top right (@25m), depending upon the ammo. At least in military full-auto practices it usually meant taking a 7 o'clock poa on the white patch, firing a short burst to 1 o'clock and the resetting the poa.

I suppose some types gives a small residual recoil impulse or slight change in the timing of the firing cycle and the way it changes the gun balance. Perhaps good old 2z has a slight primer delay cf. civvie types?

No, nothing like a 7.62x51 rifle on full auto.
Agreed on bottom left to upper right dispersion, but nothing massive and as you say very manageable. Not sure about 2Z primer delay, to me it doesn't sound likely, considering SMG fixed firing pin and advanced primer ignition would negate any effect, and no noticeable primer delay on any pistols/ other SMGs firing 2Z that I've heard seen or heard about.

HE117

LE
I had an interesting conversation with a chum of mine who used to work for Sterling. I asked him if Sterling had ever produced guns with different springs etc to cope with different ammunition..

He said not.. the SMG was designed to be used with UK IIz and they would not weaken the spring to cope with other ammunition as this would make it dangerous to use with IIz. He said there was a particular problem with Canada who filled their 9x19 with Bullseye.

They did a lot of tests on the famous Indian "curry puff" ammunition in the 60s and found it was very poorly manufactured with wide variations in loading from full spec IIz to only a primer!

What is interesting is that he told me that he had done trials varying the chamber length, and apparently you could tune a gun to a particular round doing this. This of course was of no practical use so a nominal chamber length that performed well with IIz was selected.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Perhaps the Sterling factory zeroed for 2z with a bayonet fitted, or to place the centre of a five-rnd group at the point of aim, ie a spread low left to high right.

Shame it has to be single shot; theres a real art to shooting these effectively in full-auto - anticipating the bolt clunk, the muzzle climb, etc.

If you have a lot of ammo to burn, theres an interesting close-quarter technique that involves putting the left hand over the top of the barrel jacket (ie reverse grip; thumb underneath and facing to the rear) and firing from the waist. Right hand and stock clamped against your gut.

Obviously you can't use the sights and so are aiming by instinct - later, muscle memory. However the reverse grip cancels out the usual muzzle climb on auto, and gives a very tight group. With practice (and lots of ammo) you get tight target centre mass groups comparable to those of - say - an MP5, but with faster reaction times (no aiming involved).

I gather the technique originated in WW2 with commando use of the Sten and was subsequently much favoured by RN boarding parties because of its utility in the companionways and tight spaces of a ship or submarine.
IIRC in Canuckistan, the WOII Drill and Weapons Instructor Rocking Chair Rangers, demonstrated the approved 'centre of body' method with butt folded or unfolded into your gut and letting go in bursts of 3 --- it was quite instuctive how by orienting the whole body to direct the fire worked so well.

IIRC in Canuckistan, the WOII Drill and Weapons Instructor Rocking Chair Rangers, demonstrated the approved 'centre of body' method with butt folded or unfolded into your gut and letting go in bursts of 3 --- it was quite instuctive how by orienting the whole body to direct the fire worked so well.
I was also taught this method by an ex RMP who was our SSM in Gernany

When are you going to join in the model making @stoatman ? The Chap is beginning to show you up.

I'm a complete biff with it. Someone in the US has made me a perspex model I can stick a STEN trigger group in to show how it works though :)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm a complete biff with it. Someone in the US has made me a perspex model I can stick a STEN trigger group in to show how it works though :)
That sounds excellent, looking forwards to that when it comes along.

See pinned comment for angry squaddy making-up-safety-rules BS...

Oh dear he is a serious one isn't he.

I was trained & carried the SMG, not as long as six years...I only got one for two years when I moved from a Rifle Company to Recce Plt and the joy of riding about in CVR(W).
Truth is, I can't remember if it was bolt back or bolt forward...but I think what you do there makes perfect sense especially on a civvie range. If we rock up on the range with the bolt forward on anything, rifle, smg, longbow, bendy stick or trembuchet...there would be people doing backflips and asking where your OBI or in our case drapeau de securité was.

I think what you do is perfectly logical and safe. I'm surprised reading the pinned comments that no one got onto wet blankets.

Love seeing it shot a 100M & 200M, but again I can't remember what distance we shot it at and it was rarely on full auto. Great targets too, I enjoyed watching that & was surprised how well it did at 200M.

Oh dear he is a serious one isn't he.

I was trained & carried the SMG, not as long as six years...I only got one for two years when I moved from a Rifle Company to Recce Plt and the joy of riding about in CVR(W).
Truth is, I can't remember if it was bolt back or bolt forward...but I think what you do there makes perfect sense especially on a civvie range. If we rock up on the range with the bolt forward on anything, rifle, smg, longbow, bendy stick or trembuchet...there would be people doing backflips and asking where your OBI or in our case drapeau de securité was.

I think what you do is perfectly logical and safe. I'm surprised reading the pinned comments that no one got onto wet blankets.

Love seeing it shot a 100M & 200M, but again I can't remember what distance we shot it at and it was rarely on full auto. Great targets too, I enjoyed watching that & was surprised how well it did at 200M.
Thing is that on a service range you'd have the bolts closed at all times unless made ready or carrying out NSP's. Whereas on a civvy range we have bolts open at all times when we're not firing. Anyone doing mil drills on a civvy range, with bolt forward (Stgw 57 is an exception cos there's no hold-open but there's a loaded chamber indicator) other than on the firing point would get a rocket. And I see no reason to unnecessarily drop the bolt only to do a less-safe load and make ready the military way. I'm just shooting it, not demonstrating drills!

And I have no idea where he gets the idea from that loading with the bolt back is a higher ND risk. Shows a lack of faith in, and indeed a lack of understanding of, the gun and how it operates.

Oh god, another one...

1596202899272.png

1596202937106.png

Some folks just don't know when they are beat.

Anyone got any info on what size a 'full size man' is & when are conditions ever ideal?

I'm just happy seeing one getting shot and by someone who can obviously shoot.

I do not give a rat's bum about what the military drills are/were it was handled safely, end of story.

Tyk

LE
While the sights have 100 and 200 settings what was the expected range at which you'd anticipate engaging a target with a serious intent to spoil the target's afternoon even terminally?

It's a light weapon with a fairly piddly cartridge for personal defence yet from the looks of it it's surprisingly effective at 100m.

For the folks that actually carried these as a personal weapon was it as handy as it looks? It's surprisingly tidy and small and with the stock folded it's really tiny.

The standard of your videos has improved dramatically since the first one.
A tip though: put your personal mic as close as you can to your mouth without being too much under the chin. Most personal mics are omnidirectional but will reduce a lot of background noise if they placed correctly. Also try to avoid auto-gain as this will push up the background when you're not talking.

Smithandjones seems to have been handed his buttocks by your viewership.

Latest Threads