Bloke on the Range videos

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want to make your eyes bleed, have a look at the pinned comment thread under this old one:

So Bubba likes Mausers, exclamation marks and CAPITAL LETTERS.

Who knew?

4(T)

LE

The "story" about the Enfield barrels is that they went along to Bisley, saw one or more P14s using a heavy commercial barrel to good effect - and copied it.

Its unclear which barrel they "copied", but there is a Parker Hale barrel that is absolutely identical to the Enfield barrel except that it doesn't have the flat on the knox form. Clearly the PH and Enfield barrels are related, but which one is copy of the other, or if the PH one was a contract replacement is unknown.

Apparently Enfield made 10,000 of the hammer forged barrels, with half(?) being retained for the L39/42/ Enforcer/ Envoy programmes, and half released to the Trade. Maybe they sold too many to the Trade, or gave all their stock to the MoD, as they evidently had to source new barrels - the stepped version - for the Enforcer project.

The other "story" is that the 7.62mm magazines, extractors and bolt heads were all pre-existing, having been made for the L8 project. Hence the 7.62mm conversions were typical British "parts bins" specials!

The handguards for the factory 7.62mms were all made by Colin Moon, who I believe is still around.

Incidentally, I've had about six Envoy Palma Match (still have a nice one), and IIRC none of them had forend pegs or any other sign of "fettling". I'm fairly sure that Fultons did nothing more than roll-stamp "1970 Palma Match" on the receiver. The rifles were given to the competitors, so many of them were later chopped to fit handstop rails and the like.

The "story" about the Enfield barrels is that they went along to Bisley, saw one or more P14s using a heavy commercial barrel to good effect - and copied it.

Its unclear which barrel they "copied", but there is a Parker Hale barrel that is absolutely identical to the Enfield barrel except that it doesn't have the flat on the knox form. Clearly the PH and Enfield barrels are related, but which one is copy of the other, or if the PH one was a contract replacement is unknown.

Apparently Enfield made 10,000 of the hammer forged barrels, with half(?) being retained for the L39/42/ Enforcer/ Envoy programmes, and half released to the Trade. Maybe they sold too many to the Trade, or gave all their stock to the MoD, as they evidently had to source new barrels - the stepped version - for the Enforcer project.

The other "story" is that the 7.62mm magazines, extractors and bolt heads were all pre-existing, having been made for the L8 project. Hence the 7.62mm conversions were typical British "parts bins" specials!

The handguards for the factory 7.62mms were all made by Colin Moon, who I believe is still around.

Incidentally, I've had about six Envoy Palma Match (still have a nice one), and IIRC none of them had forend pegs or any other sign of "fettling". I'm fairly sure that Fultons did nothing more than roll-stamp "1970 Palma Match" on the receiver. The rifles were given to the competitors, so many of them were later chopped to fit handstop rails and the like.
The extractors all seem to have been stamped EFD-monogram 65, so likely all made for the L8 programme. There are 2 different parts codes for the magazines though, even though they're identical, one for the L8's and one for the L42's.

You're right about the pegs though - I guess the one I saw (and remembered while filming) had been fettled later.

Aah, sh1t, I remembered this Fulton Regulated one, which is pegged but isn't a Palma one. Bugger......

1593772288204.png

4(T)

LE
Aah, sh1t, I remembered this Fulton Regulated one, which is pegged but isn't a Palma one. Bugger......

View attachment 486798

This type of peg is normally a sign that the recoil faces have been replaced during the rifle's career. The pegs secure the grafted-in recoil faces because the backstrap patch removes much of the original wood that replacement recoil faces bear on.

Not sure if pegs were used when the forends were converted at Enfield, because many original rifles don't have them.

These two Palmas have converted No8 forends, but no pegs:

p.s. I think there may have been a few more than 1183 L39/CONVs made, as I have Nos A1111 and A1214. I think numbers have been observed to at least A1250ish.

Now you've got to do a follow-up video on Enforcers. That'll really take you down the rabbit hole, with converted Envoys, fakes galore, factory-built vs. Charnwood built, the strange "phoenix" rifles that somehow arose from the dead after the original rifles were known to have been chopped up by their police owners, etc.

This type of peg is normally a sign that the recoil faces have been replaced during the rifle's career. The pegs secure the grafted-in recoil faces because the backstrap patch removes much of the original wood that replacement recoil faces bear on.

Not sure if pegs were used when the forends were converted at Enfield, because many original rifles don't have them.

These two Palmas have converted No8 forends, but no pegs:

p.s. I think there may have been a few more than 1183 L39/CONVs made, as I have Nos A1111 and A1214. I think numbers have been observed to at least A1250ish.

Now you've got to do a follow-up video on Enforcers. That'll really take you down the rabbit hole, with converted Envoys, fakes galore, factory-built vs. Charnwood built, the strange "phoenix" rifles that somehow arose from the dead after the original rifles were known to have been chopped up by their police owners, etc.
The figures are from Colin Shorthouse's research published on the LERA page:

1593811668921.png

As for Enforcers, I don't even know where to start!!!! :D

When I get one physically in my grubby little mitts I'll do a vid... Next time I'm in the UK?!?

The figures are from Colin Shorthouse's research published on the LERA page:

View attachment 486916

As for Enforcers, I don't even know where to start!!!! :D

When I get one physically in my grubby little mitts I'll do a vid... Next time I'm in the UK?!?
I have one if you need an example to try ;-)

EE952A54-8E60-41AD-90A1-DEECA0C4E217.jpeg

HE117

LE

I bought a Mauser/P17 actioned target rifle from Fultons in 1972 that was apparently built by Robin Fulton as a test bed for the "new hammered barrels" that were appearing at the time..

It was a good gun, and shot well, but I was posted to Germany and then went off to University for three years and did not get much of a chance to use it. I sold it to a bloke in the University rifle club.

I suspect it was one of the Enfield barrels..!

If you want to make your eyes bleed, have a look at the pinned comment thread under this old one:

Apparently it's still going on (I have to shake the odd reply loose from the spam filter)... but otherwise I've stopped looking cos there's no point in trying to argue with idiots who won't accept what the Germans say about their own rifles :D

1594228566801.png

Posted without comment...

Someone elsewhere made the likely valid point that he's probably misremembering 25m grouping performances as 100m performances, and 100m as 300m...

Someone elsewhere made the likely valid point that he's probably misremembering 25m grouping performances as 100m performances, and 100m as 300m...
I hear some amusing tales from older retired ex Mob types , one claim was they could shoot fig 11 size targets out to a mile with an iron sighted .303 and another told me how at Bisley a Bootneck Sergeant shot a 2" group at 1000 yards with an iron sighted .303 .

Latest Threads