Bloke on the Range videos

My mehimsahib has been in the attic digging stuff out and as a result yesterday middle miss bomber was watching utube wearing a s10 Id forgotten we had.
( no noddy suit though !)

One thing that they're not is quality - they're as rudimentary as they could get away with, rough weld seams unground and the metal coated as thinly as possible.

It's a great bit of production engineering and design, but they also had a failure rate in the receiver stampings that was atrocious, largely due to the quality of the steel.
The modern semi auto reproductions are something of an eye opener, a bit rough and ready. The stock looks like somebody nicked a gash plank from a building site and cut it approximately to shape.

I find it very interesting that the Musketry Regulations 1909 expressly forbids the use of the cutoff to permit use of the rifle as a single-loader. It's sole use being the reduction in the chance of a screwup resulting in an ND from a soldier doing what would now be termed a "make safe".
Interesting that, about the same time Uncle Sams Army was teaching that the cut off was to be used as standard, ie single shot with the mag as a reserve should things get hairy.

The modern semi auto reproductions are something of an eye opener, a bit rough and ready. The stock looks like somebody nicked a gash plank from a building site and cut it approximately to shape.
Have seen a fair number of originals. That's a fair description of the stocks.

Sounds pretty authentic to me!

Onkel Adolf and his gang were on their strategic uppers by the time these ganz neu wunderwaffe were production-ready, by which time, faced with what is usually a choice of any two out of the eternal triangle - Good vs Fast vs Cheap - they were denied Good, and left only with Fast and Cheap.

Even then, the perverse logic of the Nazi dog-eat-dog philosophy meant that they didn't simplify the inventory of what weapons they produced, further adding to the inefficiency of arms production, at a time when Adolf was swearing blind that New Improved Shiny German Miracle Weapons were going to bring Victory Against All Odds.

Barking,

Utterly, utterly barking.

Last edited:
Interesting that, about the same time Uncle Sams Army was teaching that the cut off was to be used as standard, ie single shot with the mag as a reserve should things get hairy.
Sounds like "Here's a design feature. Better find a reason to use it" to me.

Next time I get an idiot commenting about "all guns are presumed to be loaded" under a vid where I rest my hands on the muzzle of a confirmed-unloaded rifle I'll direct the attention of the commenter to this famous poster of Cooper himself breaking 3 of his 4 famed rules...

1585568332936.png

Sounds like "Here's a design feature. Better find a reason to use it" to me.
No, just worried that the infantry might waste ammo. The Pentagon or its inhabitants appear to have had little faith in the training and discipline of the US Army. Comforting thougt for those at the sharp end.

More Dale

Flying cawwots?
May I present you with a flying bunny to match?
1585912493158.png

The Wolpertinger, your neighbour.

A bit more seriously, I note that the recoil was impressive, judging by the scenes of standing soldiers in trenches.
However being Swiss made it was no doubt an expensive piece of kit, was it really worth it?

Flying cawwots?
May I present you with a flying bunny to match?
View attachment 462209

The Wolpertinger, your neighbour.

A bit more seriously, I note that the recoil was impressive, judging by the scenes of standing soldiers in trenches.
However being Swiss made it was no doubt an expensive piece of kit, was it really worth it?
If you want organic anti-armour capability in the backpack of every infantryman, yes it was.

If you want organic anti-armour capability in the backpack of every infantryman, yes it was.
Looking at the bit that I underlined, I assume that the Swiss no longer use rifle grenades, which begs the question has it been replaced by something more modern or even not replaced at all?
I must admit I would not be fond of the idea of getting close enough to a tank to use that thing.
I watched the vids but not the whole length, too much detail for me.

Looking at the bit that I underlined, I assume that the Swiss no longer use rifle grenades, which begs the question has it been replaced by something more modern or even not replaced at all?
I must admit I would not be fond of the idea of getting close enough to a tank to use that thing.
I watched the vids but not the whole length, too much detail for me.

But since massed armour is a thing of the past, it's not seen as quite so important to have loads of Atk wpns in the infantry section.

So I got talked into doing one of those pushup challenge things... So I went a bit OTT and all Cold War on it - including badly-tied puttees for CCF officer style points! :D

So I got talked into doing one of those pushup challenge things... So I went a bit OTT and all Cold War on it - including badly-tied puttees for CCF officer style points! :D

FWIW, you weight the same as I did from commissioning to parenthood.

O - and you made me larf :thumleft:

I've heard of rubber fetishism, but NBC? :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Intelligence Cell 27
CptDanjou Waltenkommando 17
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 1

Latest Threads