Bloke on the Range videos

Bloke firing the weapon at 54:51 looks .

1. Happy to have to fire automatic weapons all day every day without hearing protection.

2. Like a serial killer, child molester
Your great-grandfather clearly enjoyed his work :twisted:

Just parking this here...

1585061953815.png

at 38:41, or thereabouts, you were ruminating on the subtleties of (the rudimentary [?] art of) making magazines outta stamped sheet steel.

I'd be fascinated to see film of that quality at the German factories where, during WW2, they were banging out the 1st-generation Sturmgewehr and prototypes thereof.

That there 7.92mm x 33 mm Stg44 you got to play with at DB 2020 would be a reason why.

Like (what began its working life in 1936 as) the Rayners Lane Odeon:

it is pure art deco to look at.

Irrespective of its history and function - it is a thing of strange beauty.

As a piece of production engineering it (the Stg44, for clarity) is a thing of wonder: can any manufacturer these days match the quality?

at 38:41, or thereabouts, you were ruminating on the subtleties of (the rudimentary [?] art of) making magazines outta stamped sheet steel.

I'd be fascinated to see film of that quality at the German factories where, during WW2, they were banging out the 1st-generation Sturmgewehr and prototypes thereof.

That there 7.92mm x 33 mm Stg44 you got to play with at DB 2020 would be a reason why.

(...)

Irrespective of its history and function - it is a thing of strange beauty.

As a piece of production engineering it (the Stg44, for clarity) is a thing of wonder: can any manufacturer these days match the quality?
Manufacturers could probably make much better quality stamped rifles and magazines today, one reason being the deep draw steels today are much better than what was available even 30 years ago, let alone during WWII. The auto industry has led the way in this field.

However, manufacturing methods have to be tailored to match the market. Not many major countries still have universal conscription armies, so the market for any particular rifle for most customers in the hundreds of thousands rather than the millions.

That in turn pushes designers to use technologies which allow more complex parts to be made in one tool, as that requires less assembly and finishing tooling and equipment.

If you wanted to equip a really huge army today, it would still be hard to beat steel stampings resistance welded together in terms of being able to turn out rifles in large numbers. That's why cars are still made that way.

Manufacturers could probably make much better quality stamped rifles and magazines today, one reason being the deep draw steels today are much better than what was available even 30 years ago, let alone during WWII. The auto industry has led the way in this field.

However, manufacturing methods have to be tailored to match the market. Not many major countries still have universal conscription armies, so the market for any particular rifle for most customers in the hundreds of thousands rather than the millions.

That in turn pushes designers to use technologies which allow more complex parts to be made in one tool, as that requires less assembly and finishing tooling and equipment.

If you wanted to equip a really huge army today, it would still be hard to beat steel stampings resistance welded together in terms of being able to turn out rifles in large numbers. That's why cars are still made that way.
Every day a skuleday :) I thank you for the knowledge

Doesn't stop me wishing somebody was still making weapons with that Stg44 art deco/steampunk/pre-polymer look'n'feel to them :-D

One thing that they're not is quality - they're as rudimentary as they could get away with, rough weld seams unground and the metal coated as thinly as possible.

It's a great bit of production engineering and design, but they also had a failure rate in the receiver stampings that was atrocious, largely due to the quality of the steel.

@4(T) ever come across this guy going by the name of Rick Bear?

1585121785010.png

Let's just say that he made a huge long post there full of stuff and nonsense...

4(T)

LE
@4(T) ever come across this guy going by the name of Rick Bear?

View attachment 459478

Let's just say that he made a huge long post there full of stuff and nonsense...

I've never heard of him, but then I don't shoot many NRA historic matches. I also don't recall the name from LERA/ HBSA/ RFD/ international collectors' forums/ etc.

If he is a foremost Lee Enfield expert, then I'd be interested to see his website or know his forum nom de plume - I have a lot of questions I'd like to put to the Lee Enfield oracle!

I've never heard of him, but then I don't shoot many NRA historic matches. I also don't recall the name from LERA/ HBSA/ RFD/ international collectors' forums/ etc.

If he is a foremost Lee Enfield expert, then I'd be interested to see his website or know his forum nom de plume - I have a lot of questions I'd like to put to the Lee Enfield oracle!
Let's just say that if you read his whole post, there'll be even more questions... And I've asked Gaz, who won the historic part of the Imperial CSR last year if he's ever heard of this guy. Unsurprisingly, nope...

It's the newest comment under this old video:

t's a great bit of production engineering and design, but they also had a failure rate in the receiver stampings that was atrocious, largely due to the quality of the steel.
Probably just as well for my Grandad's generation that they didn't start banging them outta factories by the hundred until after they'd been denied ready access to all those strategic mineral resources they'd stumbled upon during the glory days of the Blitzkrieg, then.

One thing that they're not is quality - they're as rudimentary as they could get away with, rough weld seams unground and the metal coated as thinly as possible.
In my down time yesterday, I watched one of Mr McCullomb's older videos about weapons souveniered by GIs from the Walther factory in 1945*. Interesting to see him compare side-by-side the very very rough quality of a self-assembled PP made of ready-for-final-assembly late-war components, to a properly-finished and factory-proofed pre-war edition of the same.

*ETA:

Last edited:
Just Wednesday night TV time in the Stoat household...

1585165028246.png

Does the name Richard "Rick" Seddon ring any bells? Just seen a pic from 2005 with both you, him, Mick, Colin and some others in it ;)

4(T)

LE
Does the name Richard "Rick" Seddon ring any bells? Just seen a pic from 2005 with both you, him, Mick, Colin and some others in it ;)

Nooooooo....

Is this the same "Rick"?

We're dooommed. Well, you are at least.

No actually he's a great guy; big team player. Very knowledgeable; we should all sit at his feet. You should be pals with him - just ask Mick or @303man. Drop him a nice mail or something.

I'm just off to delete my Arrse and YouTube identities.

Nooooooo....

Is this the same "Rick"?

We're dooommed. Well, you are at least.

No actually he's a great guy; big team player. Very knowledgeable; we should all sit at his feet. You should be pals with him - just ask Mick or @303man. Drop him a nice mail or something.

I'm just off to delete my Arrse and YouTube identities.
From the contents of his comments and what Mick and others have told me, I can see why he's so universally loved, lol

TamH70

MIA
From the contents of his comments and what Mick and others have told me, I can see why he's so universally loved, lol
Confirmed it's him...

1585206612590.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Intelligence Cell 27
CptDanjou Waltenkommando 17
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 1

Latest Threads