Bloke on the Range videos

God's Own Bangstick ripping up the space-time continuum to create its very own mini nuclear test mushroom clouds!

1565845463542.png

clayp1g

War Hero
God's Own Bangstick ripping up the space-time continuum to create its very own mini nuclear test mushroom clouds!

View attachment 410598
As is only right and becoming form such a mighty bang stick. I pray the back stop was facing Russia so they could feel and hear the mighty crack, thump of its awesomeness.

Gonna get hate for this one...

Well worth the effort. I wonder if an 8mm reamed chamber would be as much fun?
I had thought about that - squeezing .323" bullets down a .313"-ish bore would be hilarious!

But we'll get N to fit a new bolt to that rifle, ream out a nasty Mauser 98 target rifle, get Brum to proof them both, then rig them side by side and feed them both oiled 300 WM's until they give out! :D

Some early comment lolz:

1565944374641.png

1565944409476.png

Nice mangling of Hatcher there, and clearly watching a video we didn't make... :D

ugly

LE
Dont worry some will create the offence to be taken without too much help!

Tyk

LE
Gonna get hate for this one...

So to summarise (please correct if I've got the wrong end of the stick here) :-

Rifle had seen many decades of use.
You stuffed too strong ammunition in it repeatedly with zero issues.
You then applied oil to the too strong ammunition to more or less double the pressure and it coped 4 times out of 5.
5th try of the oiled ammunition managed to break the bolt (I missed if you said if it nadgered any other part of the action) and that break was clearly due to a faulty bolt lug.
When it failed, it failed safe.

So basically with excessive abuse it eventually gave up the ghost without potentially injuring a shooter.
Tougher than old boots action design and operation is the conclusion?

Just how many of those actions were made and subjected to squaddy abuse in all sorts of temperatures, muck and grot without collecting a reputation for being a liability? Soldiers don't tend to be backward about complaining if kit is crappy in my experience.

ugly

LE
Almost spot on. It wasnt a lug but a defect in the bolt body forging. 90 yr old defect, proofed at least 3 times. Marvelous design

Doubled the bolt thrust not the pressure, otherwise bang on ;)

One day I'll prove this definitively with a piezo chamber pressure measurement system, once the budget is back up where it should be after the last month's battering...

Tyk

LE
So why do people on various forums/Youtubes/Moronmedia bleat that the Lee Enfield had a weak action? I'm confused where the rumour could have originated. From what you've demonstrated it's the opposite of weak.

It was the service rifle of the British Empire, Dominions and later the Commonwealth for many decades, if it was fragile there would have been hundreds if not thousands of records of breech explosions, injuries and armourers up in arms that it was a liability.

So why do people on various forums/Youtubes/Moronmedia bleat that the Lee Enfield had a weak action? I'm confused where the rumour could have originated. From what you've demonstrated it's the opposite of weak.

It was the service rifle of the British Empire, Dominions and later the Commonwealth for many decades, if it was fragile there would have been hundreds if not thousands of records of breech explosions, injuries and armourers up in arms that it was a liability.
It's likely from pre-WW1 propaganda from people who wanted the British Army to ditch the SMLE and adopt a Mauser-type action, which lead to the P13 project. And also ironic given the number of Spanish M1893 Mausers converted to 7.62mm which give out catastrophically...

The following won't be the full story, but any explanation that attempts to deal with this subject needs to take into account the facts that the overwhelming preponderance of present day writing, videos, blogs, and forum posts in English comes from American sources and that Americans tend to be somewhat insular. So when you ask about "people on various forums/Youtubes/Moronmedia" you need to look at the subject from their perspective.

What you see is Americans saying that:
  1. rear locking actions are inherently weak,
  2. the Lee Enfield was a rear locking action and so it must be weak.
Prior to adopting a clone of the Mauser the Americans had two late 19th century repeating rifles, the Krag Jorgensen, and the Lee straight pull. The Lee straight pull had a rear locking tilting bolt, and the Krag Jorgensen had a rotating bolt with one front lug, one rear lug, and the bolt handle acting as a third lug.

Both have a reputation of having weak actions. I started writing a long explanation about this, but to make a long story short this reputation is probably undeserved and with the Lee straight pull in particular may be of relatively recent origin and due to how hand re-loaders make modern versions of the now long obsolete ammunition for it.

The rifle which replaced the Krag Jorgensen was the US clone of the Mauser, the Springfield 1903. This was adopted because of reasons other than the strength of the action, particularly the Mauser charger loading system. The Americans got an introduction to being on the receiving end of the Mauser when fighting the Spanish at the end of the 19th century, and they concluded that it was better than their own rifles.

So when the Americans adopted the Mauser themselves, it was hailed as being the greatest thing ever. I suspect that this is where much of the hype about all things Mauser arose. From this perspective if the Mauser does things a certain way, then that must be the right way to do it. Therefore if the Mauser has front locking lugs then front locking lugs must the "proper" sort of lugs to have. The same goes with "cock on open". The Springfield 1903 was also the American introduction to rimless ammunition, so of course rimmed ammunition can't possibly work either.

Rather ironically, early production Springfield 1903s did have weak actions due to poor heat treatment during manufacture and many collectors today consider them unsafe to shoot.

Rather ironically, early production Springfield 1903s did have weak actions due to poor heat treatment during manufacture and many collectors today consider them unsafe to shoot.
Even later ones seem to give out at a surprisingly high frequency. But you never know if it's Bubba's handloading... Whereas SMLE / No.4 kabooms are almost unheard-of, and if they do go they just shed the small lug like ours did in the video rather than blow the receiver ring and blow the gubbins out the bottom.

Blogg

LE
Part of it may come from stories of how Paul Mauser parted company with an eye and some fingers whilst testing a "Model 98" and was thus driven to produce the safest possible action. Which may have also involved some subtle trashing of competitors whilst bigging up the new improved and wonderful product.

Which is what product makers still roughly do today when something publicly evident and franchise threatening goes titsup.

What is often overlooked is that the "Model 98" in question was a prototype semi auto in testing which was using lubricated cartridges in order to aid with reliable extraction, something still not fully mastered in the day

Even so according to some accounts it didn't actually mechanically fail but went bang whilst not fully in battery.

One day I'll do a vid on gas handling in the Mauser 98 action. It's quite clever, and largely irrelevant these days since case head failures aren't really a thing any more (but really very much were back in the day)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Waltenkommando 17
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 1
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 32

Latest Threads