Bloke on the Range videos

Having shot it through the SLR and a Chinese M14 with a wonky front sight, it's good stuff. Runs at CHF 550.- per 1000 here. Which is the cheapest factory ammo out there now that old DAG or MEN or whatever it was from the early 80's has run out.
CHF 550.00 sounds cheap by Swiss standards. DAG still available here for € 449.00 per k, but the postage at
€ 47.50 is a bummer.
Not impressed with Chinese weapons, fired a Norinco Govt model once, rds went everywhere including the target.

Not sure how accurate the Beeb take on it is and some of the measures seem designed to be rejected
Gun-loving Swiss vote on tightening laws for EU

I reckon the 3rd proposal is deliberately designed to be so un-palatable that the others are seen as okay-ish
From your link:
"The new restrictions are not about destroying Swiss tradition or culture," insisted Ronja Jansen of pro-disarmament group Switzerland without an Army.
A disarmament group called "Switzerland without an Army" is not about destroying Swiss tradition? No not much.
As an aside somebody, speaking slowly, should explain to this misguided person that the first obligation of any state is to protect its citizens. Without an army that could be difficult.

View attachment 393307

The wobbly thing always interests me when I get told that, but here's a nice honest 100M target shot prone unsupported with my 1961 BSA L1A1 which other than me not quite getting the foresight post in the right place is quite spiffing if I may say so.

I must have thought it was good at the time as I cut it out and kept it just in case I ever got around to posting it one day.

Ok it's handloaded ammo but with a simple Priv-FMJ and nothing snazzy like a Sierra Match King.

I wouldn't want to be shot at by someone with one even if the sights are on two different bits and the hinge pin wobbles...allegedly.
That's quite a respectable group. I saw somebody using Prvi Partizan 308 W with a 145 FMJ put 20 rds into about 30mm at 100 mtr, that's a shade over 1 MOA. Must be good stuff.

So a bit of range pr0n for the old and bold.

The first 5 rounds through the factory refurb SLR: a smidge over 2 MOA off a bag (resting the HAND not the rifle, of course :p ):

View attachment 393657

Then 10 rounds prone unsupported (no sling, no nothing):
View attachment 393658

And then again a little later:
View attachment 393659
The figure is 40cm wide, and 41cm to its shoulder.

I'm rather happy with that!
My offering from my SLR, 2 tgts with Prvi and the last one DAG:

Attachments

Cross-post from Farcebook:

A quick (heh) FAQ:

Yes, unfortunately we lost the referendum. The new law is likely to enter into force on 1 July (people have been saying 1 June, but the Bericht des Bundesrates says 1 July).

Yes, this sucks.

Yes, it could have been far, far worse - initial drafts of the law were jaw-droppingly bad. Small mercies and all that...

No, this will not affect the continued existence of BotR. We will keep calm and carry on.

Yes, this will be a bit more of a PITA for acquiring semiauto rifles with 11+ round magazines or pistols with 21+ round magazines in the future. Cost mostly. And having to prove you're a sports shooter (club membership or regular private range shooting, no German-style nonsense with "disciplines" though) or collector.

No, "collector" is not defined. So each canton will make it up for themselves.

Yes, buying exactly the same firearm with a smaller magazine is unaffected.

Yes, it's whether the firearms is equipped with such a magazine, not whether it's capable of receiving one.

No, what "equipped with" actually means isn't finalised (the rules contained a provision that was clearly unworkable and would have criminalised 2 people sharing a car to the range if 1 had a 10-round Stgw 90 and the other a 20-round Stgw 90. Hopefully that definition will go away).

No, affected firearms already acquired before entry into force are unaffected.

No, there is no change with respect to full auto or downconversions from full auto.

Yes, there's a variant of an SBR law coming in - semiauto rifles which can be folded or telescoped down to under 60cm OAL without losing function are affected too. The wording doesn't affect fixed stock carbines that are always below 60cm OAL and doesn't seem to affect folders/telescopers which are already below 60cm OAL with the stock deployed.

Yes, this will probably result in newly-sold short rifles having their stocks fixed or a firing mechanism disconnect built in.

Yes, I have bought ahead pretty much everything affected I think I need for the channel.

No, we won't be doing a video on this until the Implementing Regulations ("Waffenverordnung") are finalised, cos there are too many loose ends at the moment. I'm planning on doing it with Ines Elena Kessler who did excellent work as a leading light of the No campaign in the media and is part of the Kessler Auktionen family.

No, we won't be relocating to the US just yet

Yes, the EU are extremely likely to come back in a few years' time for another bite at the apple.

Yes, if you have a general question not in this list, the answer is likely "we don't know yet" cos the Waffenverordnung hasn't been finalised.

Thank you for your attention.

Just seen the evening news, which included a brief report on the referendum. It would appear that the Swiss have sold their souls to the devil.
What was that saying? He who sacrifices his freedom for his safety is worthy of neither and will lose both.

That's quite a respectable group. I saw somebody using Prvi Partizan 308 W with a 145 FMJ put 20 rds into about 30mm at 100 mtr, that's a shade over 1 MOA. Must be good stuff.
I have had groups that were a tad over 1 MOA (only when rested with it) which does go to show that the Prvi ammo is perfectly capable stuff and so is the L1A1.

ugly

LE
Ok for those who think the SLR was originally made in 7.62 x 51 prepare to be disappointed. It was originally made in 7.92 x 33 and then .280/30 as an option for the Commonwealth countries. It was only decided to build it in 7.62 x 51 after the US threw the UK offering out of the trials. It was built and tested and the deal imagined or otherwise was that we would accept the 7.62 if the US accepted the FN rifle ensuring common ammo and mainly common parts across NATO.
That went the way of the 7mm Mk1z.
The X8E1 rifles were trials FN's built for us to use during troop trials. Some of these still exist in DP format.
The troop trials revealed a wish list of huge proportions and over 1000 changes were made, including tidying up drawings to make them imperial measurement compatible, before the L1A1 was sealed. Unfortunately the 7.62 x 51 was recognised then as being too much of a load for any serious sustained use. Thats what killed off the 7.62 conversions of the EM2 and nearly killed of the SLR.

Very nice groups indeed.

Were they from a supported position?
Yes indeed. The 100 mtr range where I shoot does not allow slings for some obscure reason. groups aren't always that good as I don't always get my Arrse in gear.

Just noted the load that you used. Must give it a try, I normally use N140 because that's good for 30-06 as well.

ugly

LE
Great vid, shame about the lack of shooting, however, no info on ammo performance, is that swiss ammo listed anywhere?
I was given a box of 7.62 Nato subsonic ball made in Switzerland and I haven't found it listed anywhere (not that Ive looked too hard!) either.

Great vid, shame about the lack of shooting, however, no info on ammo performance, is that swiss ammo listed anywhere?
I was given a box of 7.62 Nato subsonic ball made in Switzerland and I haven't found it listed anywhere (not that Ive looked too hard!) either.
No, that ammo was super secret for a super secret rifle. I'm sure you can run the ballistics and get the performance :)

Yes indeed. The 100 mtr range where I shoot does not allow slings for some obscure reason. groups aren't always that good as I don't always get my Arrse in gear.

Just noted the load that you used. Must give it a try, I normally use N140 because that's good for 30-06 as well.
Norma 203-B seems to work well in my self loading 7.62s.
Worked well in my 30-06 and a bit cheaper than the VV over here.

Yours seems to be working just fine.

I have used N140 also and the group stayed more or less the same.

CHF 550.00 sounds cheap by Swiss standards. DAG still available here for € 449.00 per k, but the postage at
€ 47.50 is a bummer.
Not impressed with Chinese weapons, fired a Norinco Govt model once, rds went everywhere including the target.
That Saltech is super clean though - hardly anything left on the SLR's gas piston (not that I'm a Sgt Major's Inspection cleaner anyway, but really there wasn't even enough to warrant a wipe.).

Well it's Swiss innit. Fortunately being a pensioner I have the time to clean things, although something clean burning would not go amiss.

So how do you pronounce "machine" then? You know, the "ine" word which is encountered in everyday English more often than any other.

The following video won't answer the question of how to pronounce "carbine", but it will explain why words in English are not necessarily pronounced according to how they are spelled.

There's a reason why I specifically chose "-bine" words rather than just "-ine", "-ne" or "-e"...

In other news, how do you pronounce the description of this type of road?

1558689107992.png

Speaking French as I do it might be fun one time to speak a little passage with lots of French origin words and pronounce them all the French way. That could be a royal laugh a minute with much frivolity and joviality.

On the other hand, one could easily make the argument that to simply say that because a word has a French etymology that its pronunciation must follow the French would be an act of rank naïveté.

:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Waltenkommando 17
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 1
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 32