Bloke on the Range videos

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a feeling that the whole "half crown" monicker - that has in turn fed the Sten's low price mythology - is actually derived from a contemporary Woolworths(?) marketing model. I'm pretty sure that Woolies was known as the "half crown" store because of their then product range and pricing, and that it was a 1930s catchphrase for anything that was cheap and/or good value.

If the Sten were in production today, perhaps the equivalent would be calling it a "Poundshop gun", and that there would be a thriving squaddie mythology that the gun only cost one pound to manufacture.
In the thirties Woolworths were known as the "under sixpence" store and their claim to have a maximum price of sixpence lasted until after the outbreak of the Second World war.

ugly

LE
Looking forward to 15th April! The subject has been brushed upon by Colonel Peter Labbett and others, be nice to hear from the Swiss point of view. I seem to recall that the Norwegians or Swedes were also involved as recipients of Swiss technology!

Looking forward to 15th April! The subject has been brushed upon by Colonel Peter Labbett and others, be nice to hear from the Swiss point of view. I seem to recall that the Norwegians or Swedes were also involved as recipients of Swiss technology!
I hope I can fulfil your expectations - in any case, it'll be ramble through various topics where there's crossover from UK to CH and back again! Hopefully some of the whys and wherefores of what happened in the UK will be made clearer when viewed in context of what was going on in Switzerland.

ugly

LE
Oddly enough the Swiss chaps name reminds me of a circus act

ugly

LE
I cant remember if the ones with tippex on the back were good or bad ones? Some certainly seem to have been French made for use with .30-06 and the remainder either MAS or Swedish, not having really looked at Swedish accoutrements I couldn't comment one way or the other.

I must say that I do like opening Lee-Enfield bolts with my index finger. It's a nice passive-aggressive troll of all the wehraboos with their Kar98k obsessions! :D

If the day job screws up, providing soundtracks for lifts or revivalist gentleman's leisure movies should always be considered...

But But...! The 1911 is a perfect design! *sarcasm* I do like a 1911 but there are plenty of better designs out there. The Sig P220 in several forms come to mind in .45, just to name one

But But...! The 1911 is a perfect design! *sarcasm* I do like a 1911 but there are plenty of better designs out there. The Sig P220 in several forms come to mind in .45, just to name one
is a HK USP a suitable 1911 reboot?

is a HK USP a suitable 1911 reboot?
The best feature of the HK USP (at least the ones I've fired) is the safety catch. If you push it too far when you flick it off, it decocks the hammer. *slow clap for the designers*.

In any case, 45 ACP is a zombie cartridge :p

While there was not written prohibition against carrying our USPs cocked and locked management was so passive they'd have sh!t if one of us had carried that way. I'd love one in 9mm if I could find a used one at a decent price.

Very interesting to hear the official version of how it was expected to be used and how the section was setup. I still find it remarkable how little it kicks about even when shot from the hip on auto.

It looks ungainly carried on the handle, but is it safe to assume that it's just the way the centre of gravity works and it's quick to go from carried to prone and firing?

Very interesting to hear the official version of how it was expected to be used and how the section was setup. I still find it remarkable how little it kicks about even when shot from the hip on auto.

It looks ungainly carried on the handle, but is it safe to assume that it's just the way the centre of gravity works and it's quick to go from carried to prone and firing?
Mk3 is a bit more back-heavy, the longer ones balance further forward (and in the training film you see the bipod folded forwards rather than rearwards, which is probably to make it balance more.

But it's a silly thing to do to carry it like that with no mag fitted, which they'll have learned from hard experience.