Bloke on the Range videos

Got some footage of me shooting one in 7mm Mauser at 300m. A lovely rifle indeed, let down by being 5-round-charger-loaded only.

I need one in my life... But perhaps in a more common calibre such as 7.62x51 (ideally), .30-06 or 8x57.
Ah - only the argentine version had the detachable box?

Ah - only the argentine version had the detachable box?
Only the argentine-modified 7.62mm ones had a detachable box afaik.

You can detach the box on the others for cleaning, but the feed lips are integral and all the internals come out. They're also not entirely obvious to get back in - you have to push the follower down inside as you engage the box.

It has arrived and is all correct. Trip to the shop tomorrow or Thurs to collect!

1549369089891.png

ugly

LE
Got some footage of me shooting one in 7mm Mauser at 300m. A lovely rifle indeed, let down by being 5-round-charger-loaded only.

I need one in my life... But perhaps in a more common calibre such as 7.62x51 (ideally), .30-06 or 8x57.
FM in Argentina built/converted some to a 20 round detachable box mag version in 7.62 x 51. Not sure where you would find one though!

While I can't offer a No1 MK5 I can offer you the loan of my PH5. Although the adjustable aperture would possibly be too small, if you unscrew the aperture holder the hole might suffice as the ghost/battle sight. I can measure the aperture later if you think it will work?

While I can't offer a No1 MK5 I can offer you the loan of my PH5. Although the adjustable aperture would possibly be too small, if you unscrew the aperture holder the hole might suffice as the ghost/battle sight. I can measure the aperture later if you think it will work?
Ooh, that might not be a bad idea to try.... Pop the rearsight off, whack on a PH5 and try again! Thanks!

You don't want to try it with a No1 MkV!

Unless packed, the sight leaf will flop up and down with the recoil, and the sight slider will also move back and forth. I think that was one of the reasons they binned the general conversion of No1s, and instead pressed on with No1 MkVI development.

p.s. try a Smellie Mad Minute from a fire trench using a sandbag. This gives you more handling dexterity than with prone, and removes your upper body weight from your elbows. I reckon it yields an extra 4-5 rounds over prone unsupported.

Ooh, that might not be a bad idea to try.... Pop the rearsight off, whack on a PH5 and try again! Thanks!
Not sure you have to take the rear sight off?

This is about the right size I think. At 0.197 Phone is having a fit at the moment and won’t let me attach a pic.

Last edited:

Lots of rifles that were used for SRA and B have the bottom end of the rear sight ramp ground away so that the slider and cap can drop down to "100" or below, thus leaving the aperture on the PH5A unobstructed by the rearsight cap at its normal minimum 200 yard zero.

Of course in those days, real men didn't shoot at anything under 600, so there was usually plenty of room for the PH5A to see over the backsight set to 200!

Not sure you have to take the rear sight off?

This is about the right size I think. At 0.197 Phone is having a fit at the moment and won’t let me attach a pic.
As 4(T) implies, the rear sight will just get in the way and screw with the sight picture, which I'd rather have unobstructed :)

As 4(T) implies, the rear sight will just get in the way and screw with the sight picture, which I'd rather have unobstructed :)
Okay, then I will need an address or PObox to get it on its way to you. If you're wanting to try it.

Okay, then I will need an address or PObox to get it on its way to you. If you're wanting to try it.
No idea when I'll have the next opportunity to film that kind of thing - I'll let you know when I fix a date, otherwise you risk it being "borrowed" for months and months...

No idea when I'll have the next opportunity to film that kind of thing - I'll let you know when I fix a date, otherwise you risk it being "borrowed" for months and months...
Okay. Its here with me and my SMLE is not.

I have some "nose knocker" sights if you want to try those!

Okay. Its here with me and my SMLE is not.
Thanks. You got the long trigger guard screw that goes with it handy too?

Also, I might be able to get a "beater" SMLE for CHF 330 - it looks a bit of a dog from the outside, but the bore's OK. Needs a new safety catch though, cos that's missing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K The NAAFI Bar 60
Dicky Ticker Miscellaneous Jokes 0
Dogdrool Waltenkommando 32