Bloke on a horse

My daughter's friend has sent me an old photo which she has been told dates from WW1. I'm throwing this out to the experts to identify unit, date and location.

I have my own ideas but I'll stay quiet as I'm notoriously hopeless at identifying uniforms.

View attachment 399800
The tack doesn't seem right for WW1 especially the saddle. There's a very high cantle for starters so maybe late 19th Century/central Europe?

One set of reins are tied to the pommel; my guess it's some sort of photography studio and pay a few bob for a nice piccie pretending to be Cavalry for the folks at home.

my guess it's some sort of photography studio and pay a few bob for a nice piccie pretending to be Cavalry for the folks at home.
That thought did creep into my mind. The set could well be decades old but adequate to serve the purpose of presenting the sitter as a dashing new soldier.

I wonder if there are similar photos of the same nag with its baleful stare. There could be hundreds.

Are you sure it's not one of those photographic studio portraits?
Stuffed horse
Random bits of uniform and old equipment (1853 Pattern sword!)
Can any horse botherer tell whether that's a correct hold on the reins?
Serious answer...... no he’s holding the reigns like a slacker.
Stickis on right side ergo should be held in right hand ( how the f*ck would you use it held like that.)
Reign should enter fist between little finger and next one ( coming from the bridle) ,And exit fist between thumb and first finger.
A horseman of that era would do that instinctively ( especially if he was being photographed)

Very odd.

Serious answer...... no he’s holding the reigns like a slacker.
Stickis on right side ergo should be held in right hand ( how the f*ck would you use it held like that.)
Reign should enter fist between little finger and next one ( coming from the bridle) ,And exit fist between thumb and first finger.
A horseman of that era would do that instinctively ( especially if he was being photographed)

Very odd.
Reins held incorrectly and if only holding one set the snaffle rein would be the norm not the curb as in the photo.

Stick on the right could be correct for a postilion rider but the boots are too far short. The uniform doesn't seem to fit too well either.

At a push from the hat, I would guess circa Boer War and some obscure County or Colonial Artillery Yeomanry

It could also be a costume photo for an Amateur Dramatics Society.

There's more wrong with the photo than right.

At a push from the hat, I would guess circa Boer War and some obscure County or Colonial Artillery Yeomanry
So the hat doesn't mesh with re-stilly's observation of the 7QOH bridle badge?

I'd also picked up on the uniform looking a few sizes too big and took it as inferring that the photographer selected a large size for his wardrobe so that most of his customers would would be able to wear it.

Now, an obscure question, the answer to which I suspect may not be documented... Did recruits wander into the local photographer's studio to spend their first pay packet on a photo for mum or did photographers maximise their earning potential by visiting the new intake in barracks and snap dozens of recruits with the backing of the staff (possibly in return for a tin of biscuits or a few slabs of beer)? My reasoning behind the question is that if the latter, the bridle badge and uniform would be more likely to match the unit. If the former, the sitter would be stuck with whatever accoutrements the photographer had to hand, stuff that may not be a full set or even correspond to the sitter's unit.

My daughter's friend has sent me an old photo which she has been told dates from WW1. I'm throwing this out to the experts to identify unit, date and location.

I have my own ideas but I'll stay quiet as I'm notoriously hopeless at identifying uniforms.

View attachment 399800
Not sure of the Unit or Date, but I reckon the Location is somewhere near a tree.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, that's all I've got.

Edit: upon further inspection I now believe that might not be a real tree, and it might not be a real horse either.

I reckon @Cloth bombers technical explanation confirms what @Aul_Wan and I suspect.
It's a studio dress up portrait.

He dosn't know how to hold the reins.
He's wearing uniform like a sack of shit
and -
It's a mish mash of various bits and the boots aren't polished to any standard.

Reminds me of Edwardian ladies photographed crouching on motorcycles with their big hats, voluminous skirts... and the centrestand down.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Waltenkommando 17
putteesinmyhands Military History and Militaria 1
Egg on Leggs The Intelligence Cell 20