Blog8 Embed With PPCLI in Astan

#2




I don't think the above photos require much comment.

From the rest of the blog, I presume it's OK if we withdraw the British forces tomorrow as they don't seem to be either needed or wanted.

I know it's a Multinational Forum, but it there any possibility of writing the Thread Title in English?
 
#3
The assembly area seemed like any other area of deserted landscape in this part of Helmund Province. Flat, dry, and littered with stones, life seemed to have left this place long ago, offering itself now as a parking lot for the columns of vehicles lined in a row. We had left early to get here, with the instructions that we would move again in a few short hours. However, the British, in what was to become a recurring pattern during this phase of Mountain Thrust, had failed to plan, leaving their pre-positioned unit in the north without adequate supplies of water. With flights of their Lynx helicopters grounded due to its inability maintain aerodynamic stability in the hot atmosphere of the Afghan summer, the British had failed to provide effective resupply alternatives. Complicating matters further was their lack of armored vehicles. Working from a military strategy that seemed to blend imperial arrogance with the tactics of the North African campaign under Montgomery, the British were under equipped for the fight. Fielding open topped Land Rovers with two machine guns mounted forward and aft, it was not unlike viewing a scene from the series "Rat Patrol." Thus, lacking the needed assets to move supplies or to ferry troops safely, the unit that had been pre-positioned to lead the attack, became the Achilles heal. With only 67 bottles of water remaining amongst the 120 men, and with temperatures pressing above 120 degrees F., the entire operation was postponed while American and Canadian assets were coordinated to essentially, save the Queens arse.
Who is this Turkey? What a sour-faced, chippy little w*nker he must be! I don't believe a word of this crap, or at least I don't believe his take on it. I'd like to hear what some of 3 PARA would have to say about this. As for all that bollocks about "the Tactics of the North African campaign" and "imperial arrogance"...what F**king planet is this twat on FFS? I'm sure the Canadian squaddy's on the ground will find this sort of drivel intensely embarrassing to say the least. Tosser! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#4
Well, thanks to this tube in Alpha Company, 2d Platoon etc etc it seems that all other nations can go home and leave to Canada.

I feel gratified that my tour there and those of my mates are appreciated so much by idiots like this. I feel embaressed for all his oppos who have to put up with him.
 
#5
Jaeger said:
I'm sure the Canadian squaddy's on the ground will find this sort of drivel intensely embarrassing to say the least. Tosser! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Why should the Canadians find this embarrassing? Read it again. It's an American journalist, not a Canadian soldier.
 
#6
Edited
 
#7
Jaeger wrote:
I'm sure the Canadian squaddy's on the ground will find this sort of drivel intensely embarrassing to say the least. Tosser!

Why should the Canadians find this embarrassing? Read it again. It's an American journalist, not a Canadian soldier.

Because the reader might think they share this idiot's view? :roll:
 
#8
We (Canadians) can't help what people write about us or our allies. That said, I know many of my peers and the troops in the PPCLI have nothing but the highest regard for the skills and capabilities of the UK forces. It is unfortunate that this US journalist has a negative view on the planning capabilities of the UK officers, but what is worse is that it seems to be causing friction between allies that, in my experience, have always had the utmost respect and regard for one another.

I can't speak for the Canadian troops on the ground, however I would be very surprised if they shared this journalist's view of British forces.

Aside from that the photos/video are some good stuff and well worth a view, the commentary should just be taken with a grain of salt.

Just my .02.
 
#9
Jaeger said:
Who is this Turkey? What a sour-faced, chippy little w*nker he must be! I don't believe a word of this crap, or at least I don't believe his take on it. I'd like to hear what some of 3 PARA would have to say about this. As for all that balls about "the Tactics of the North African campaign" and "imperial arrogance"...what F**king planet is this t**t on FFS? I'm sure the Canadian squaddy's on the ground will find this sort of drivel intensely embarrassing to say the least. Tosser! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Are you whining? Did you not like what someone had to say?
 
#10
wotan said:
We (Canadians) can't help what people write about us or our allies. That said, I know many of my peers and the troops in the PPCLI have nothing but the highest regard for the skills and capabilities of the UK forces. It is unfortunate that this US journalist has a negative view on the planning capabilities of the UK officers, but what is worse is that it seems to be causing friction between allies that, in my experience, have always had the utmost respect and regard for one another...
I've read several posts on arrse concerning the lack of equipment, logistics, etc., for UK forces in Afghanistan. While the journalist may have incorrectly placed the blame on local commanders he's certainly hit on something that's impacted their performance and has been commented on on this very forum.

I hope you have the same view of the UK media when it chooses to engage in the sport of sniping at US troops and commanders, as seems to be their habit.
 
#11
The journo wrote that the americans and Canadians had to save the Queens arse, did he not pick up that she is the Queen of Canada too :lol:
 
#12
An email from A, a FOO with the Canadian Armed Forces in The Stan received a fortnight ago.

Extracts:

"We resupplied the Brits and unfortunately it turned dark and we couldn’t get out of there, so we had to spend the night. We were attacked with small arms RPGs and mortars three times that night, I still can’t believe that the Brits have spent over a month living there under those conditions. They are a proud unit and they were grateful but embarrassed that we had to come save the day. And as good Canadians we didn’t let them hear the end of being rescued by a bunch of colonials!!"

and:

"We rode all through the night (with my LAV on a flat tire) and arrived right as the Paras Air Assaulted onto the objective with Chinook helicopters. There were helicopters everywhere. It was a hot landing zone and they took intense fire until we arrived with LAVs, and the enemy ran away. It was a different operation as we were used to a lot more intimate support tanks to shoot the Paras in. It was impressive to watch them though, they are unbelievable soldiers. "

"I had Brit Apaches check in and they did an absolutely brilliant job at repelling the enemy. The only problem was I couldn’t understand a word the pilot was saying because of his accent! Luckily I had the Brit Liaison Officer riding in the back of my LAV. I ended up using him (a Major) as a very highly paid interpreter to help me out. "

A very different view from the one at the start of this topic, yes? Whole thing attached to give you a better insight.
 

Attachments

#13
Thanks for sharing that e-mail. Amazing stuff
 
#14
#15
Virgil said:
wotan said:
We (Canadians) can't help what people write about us or our allies. That said, I know many of my peers and the troops in the PPCLI have nothing but the highest regard for the skills and capabilities of the UK forces. It is unfortunate that this US journalist has a negative view on the planning capabilities of the UK officers, but what is worse is that it seems to be causing friction between allies that, in my experience, have always had the utmost respect and regard for one another...
I've read several posts on arrse concerning the lack of equipment, logistics, etc., for UK forces in Afghanistan. While the journalist may have incorrectly placed the blame on local commanders he's certainly hit on something that's impacted their performance and has been commented on on this very forum.

I hope you have the same view of the UK media when it chooses to engage in the sport of sniping at US troops and commanders, as seems to be their habit.
I'm not really aware of what UK journalists are writing about much of anything, as I am in Canada. That said, no matter the journalistic source I tend to take what they put out with a healthy dose of scepticism. In my experience the majority of reporters don't have the experience to put into context what they are seeing during military operations. Despite that, they still seem to have no problem with pontificating on how ops should be conducted or critiquing the comd elm of any force or at any level. Again, just my .02, and I do know of some excellent journalists that are very knowledgeable of mil affairs.
 
#16
I laughed as I had supper and watched the BBC (British Broadcasting Company) which was reporting that we had taken back the towns, but H Hour was still 2 hours away, so much for the element of surprise.

Good old Aunty Beeb. "2 Para are about to attack Goose Green..." :roll:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top