Blocking Facebook

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by SKJOLD, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to block access to Facebook without it looking to obvious? Maybe being blocked at the modem rather than on the PC?
  2. Modem... not really, it wouldn't know the difference between facebook and the BBC. Some firewalls do operate in "layer 2" this a home or work connection? If the modem is a firewall, then blocking is depent on the model.

Some ISP's (mainly mobile) in the UK used to block facebook as they called it "adult content" and you had to agree to access it. To be honest need to know more about the connection.

EDIT - easy way to block it that kinda awkward for a normal user is to change the etc/host file and point the URL somewhere random.
  3. msr

msr LE

You should be able to do this using your router. Who are you trying to block and what operating system are you using?

4. OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security

Set up a (free) account with your external IP.
    Change your ADSL router/cable modem' DNS entries to point to the OpenDNS servers.
    Switch on/off filtering levels and/or sites as required.
  5. I wouldn't bother. If anyone's got any experience/friends they'll just proxy round it.
  6. That's kinda the problem corperate firewalls run up against. One of the current ways that is approached now is bandwidth limiting rather than blocking. Effectively you can get the page, but it takes 10 minutes to load. Stops people using proxies which can cause more problems that letting people having full access. Unfortunately that's something your average home box doesn't have.

Out of interest, when you use a proxy server the DNS request is sourced on the proxy rather than the client machine right? I think that's how squid does it... maybe...
  7. Desktop has XP, and the laptop has Vista. All at home. Whom am I trying to block? Wife. grrrr!

8. I think the problems I am experiencing with Facebook and wife compatibility are are not solely mine.

9. This is probably your best bet. Cheap and easy as long as the router has the capability, which most do.
  10. Could always add * to the HOSTS file on the machines?
  11. Cow

Cow LE

Fecking wife is always on it as well, she's got a Blackberry so if I blocked it she'd just use that. May try the hosts file insert, see how long I can keep it up for!
  12. Why? Has she been cruising the net looking for cock again? ;)
  13. She can go cruising for cock all she wants, just as long as the cooking, cleaning, washing and general family interaction etc. gets done first. I dont really give a schitt. Maybe if she spent less time on Facebook then she might actually find some cock maybe she could getb lucky and find one with a Prince Albert.

14. Well, I may know be a gent and post some photos ;)
  15. Host file wise:

What makes that awkward to find is that the address is in facebook address range but isn't used.