Block inspections, rules and regs

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Thebull140, Mar 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly this is not a whinge about block inspections

What i'm wondering is what are the rules/regulations on my squadron hierachy entering my room without me present. I'm a Cpl attending a class 1 course at a training establishment where i am accomodated in one of 2 single bunks (the other occupied by another Cpl) in a flat with a 4 man room of phase 2 trainees. We were warned that the Sqn OC would be walking round the block today and to make sure everything is squared away. My problem is that when i returned from work i found my room had been unlocked, entered and left unlocked. Obviously i'm concerened because i have valuable kit in my room and leaving it unlocked voided my insurance. Is there anybody out there who can tell me what the exact rules on this are so i can clear things up and voice my concernes if necessary.

2. Why don't you ask your Sqn heirarchy?

Be a darn site easier than getting a half-arrsed and (probably) factually incorrect reply on here :roll

3. Whether theoretically they can do it or not is irrelavent to a large degree.

Reason: The Occupiers Liability Acts 1984 and 1957 give the Army a get out clause - if you push it too hard they will claim that they were following up a claim of a water/gas leak, and your room was the only one they hadn't checked. You were not available and there was no time to find any witnesses to the entry, additionally the possible effects of said "imaginery" water/gas leak demanded an urgent investigation.

Doubtless it is an invasion of privacy etc, and I can understand completely the point you make, but not much you can do - incidently this is a tried and tested excuse to face this sort of claim for invasion of privacy without witnesses etc........

So you've dipped ..... except.......and far be it from me to reccomend or countenance any such action which largely hangs on your personal immorality combined with how much you want to play the army at its own game.......but if as you say the room was left unlocked, then:

1. Claim on your insurance for the theft of several valuable items (you need receipts), in the particulars of claim make sure you outline the circumstances in which the room came to be unlocked.

2. The insurance company will not pay out because the room was left insecure, you could push them to pay but the claim will be reduced on the grounds of contributory negligence (usually by a third - so don't push it).

3. Since the OC will claim that he was acting within the course of his employment, then the MOD will be liable for the equivalent value of the loss.

4. At this stage engage a solicitor (£15 - £45) and get all the details in writing prior to approaching the OC.

5. If he gives you a F.O. tablet then sue.

Think carefully though:

1. If you prove the OC was acting within the course of his employment by entering your room, and by failing to lock it you sustained a loss, then you will win the claim, the MOD will stand as joint tortfeasor and pay your damages and costs, however you will forever be despised.

2. If the MOD disclaim liability then the OC has to cough up and...er well you will forever be despised.

3. If you lose you will pay court costs, the OC will give you the worst CR imaginable, the CO will hate you and........you will forever be despised.

4. If you do none of the above any soley voice your concerns in respect of these matters then ... well I'm sure you can guess.

4. So basically the army leave my room insecure and i'm in the sh!t. I've spoke to the NCO who accompanied the OC and he said he thought he left it locked and apologised, that'll do for me anyway. I dont mind block inspections it's part of the life, i'd just prefer to be there to secure my own room after.

5. Good answer, accept the apology and move on. If you still feel you were wronged and you have balls of steel, why don't you request an OCs interview and inform him that he could have handled it better by ensuring all were present so they could:

a. Explain the blow up dolls singlies have stashed away in their lockers :oops:

b. Explain that the optics screwed to the inside of your locker were for decorative purposes :?

c. The full bin & dirty laundry were your attempt to win the Turner Prize 8)

d. Lock their doors after the OC had been round the rooms. :p

6. Hmmmm - I detect a bit of cynicism from a self-styled G3 warrior here! :D

I can honestly state that I always endeavour to provide factually correct and unpredjudiced advice whenever possible, but I accept there are a hell of a lot of complete bluffers here on ARRSE!

Anyway, to the question at hand!

In instances like these, the barrack room lawyer will always pull the 'it's an invasion of privacy' bluff out of the bag. The fact is that recently changed and amended regulations have removed the requirement for 'appropriately appointed officers and delegated subordinates to enter any and all parts of the Defence Estate without recourse to further instruments of law'. Put simply - you don't need a warrant or specific permission to enter any living accommodation (including MQs).

However, it would fly in the face of common decency and manners (moral component anyone?) if any 'appropriately appointed etc' could go willy-nilly wheresoever they chose, and so virtually all chains of command use the time honoured tactic of stating the requirement on Part One Orders, thereby placing the onus on the inhabitant to comply - and also giving them time to tidy up and hide stuff! :D

I agree with the basic sentiment behind the original post however - it seems a bit naff to enter someone's room while absent and then fail to lock it afterwards? Who'd be liable for damages and theft?

7. Sorry but this beats all as "a half-arrsed and (probably) factually incorrect reply". A conviction for fraud [self-edit: or attempted fraud] seems a bit excessive as a way of playing the Army at its own game.

8. Kin Ell.....bit harsh innit? I bet the hours fly by in your mess as you sit and dream up ways to "do" the system :)

Do it the old way, confront the block senior(who should always be present on inspections) and if he left it unlocked give him a right hook and an uppercut for his trouble. Works with my kids.

Seriously though, i would rather be present on inspections to make sure my room was secured, if i couldnt then i would make sure the senior guy was gonna be there.
    He has apologised in your case i believe so thats Ok then, all's well that end's well.

9. On this occasion I must agree with Jakeblues that does seem like a lot of hard work when there was no actual damage or loss. The NCO was in the wrong. Not for entering the room but for not locking it afterwards. In fairness he appologised for the mistake and none of us are perfect.

You are quite right. Block inspections are part of Army life and you have the right attitude.

What isn't right is the shite state some Pad's places are kept in. I'm all for Monday Morning Floggings of the Grotty Mrs Pad's. If the lads have to keep there places in good order so should the pads. Also Leggings should be banned.

10. www.thai_brides.com

www.jailbirds.com

get hitched and get a pad, the second website is the better option, if you bag a serial killer then you should have the pad to yourself for your full 22 years!

On a more serious note, any acts concerning tenancy should be perused and if gypos can live anywhere they want and build etc, then im sure the human rights act will cover invasions of privacy. Go on to forces law and get a free consultation about it. If there is a legal ruling that stops this from happening, then pay for a solicitors letter (£20 ish?) outlining it. post the letter on here for all other singlies to fight the crusade!