Block inspection

Apologies if this has been posted in the incorrect place, or if the question has already been answered.

We underwent a block inspection recently in which I was not present. I understand that if the soldier is not present then the SNCO can enter the room, which is what occurred. However are they allowed to open draws and cupboards in your room?

I was always told that if they are locked then they aren't allowed to open them, or make you unlock them. However ours have no locks and cannot be secured.

Tried looking in QRs but couldn't find anything specific. Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has been posted in the incorrect place, or if the question has already been answered.

We underwent a block inspection recently in which I was not present. I understand that if the soldier is not present then the SNCO can enter the room, which is what occurred. However are they allowed to open draws and cupboards in your room?

I was always told that if they are locked then they aren't allowed to open them, or make you unlock them. However ours have no locks and cannot be secured.

Tried looking in QRs but couldn't find anything specific. Thanks in advance!

Just make a complaint via the chain of command that £100 has gone missing from your locker. It was there before the SNCO entered. Ask for the RMP to be involved to investigate the theft.

The barrack room lawyer in me would tell you to report something missing.
The sensible person would ask you what do you want to achieve, you could be embarking on a battle that you can’t win in the long run.
Either way, I’d go on eBay and replace my door lock, you can put the old one back in or deny all knowledge. If someone calls health and safety the doors can be kicked in anyway.

I always hated block inspections,they were used as an excuse to just f**k us around.Standard was never high enough,so back at six,back at eight, back at ten etc.Still not good enough,another one tomorrow and so on and so on.
There is probably something in QR's,but the inspecting officer will do whatever he or she likes.You just have to lump it.
But I got out twenty years ago,it might be different now.
Hey ho.

All I kept in my locker during basic and cadre course's was military kit in a condition ready for inspection - even so it went airborne and out of the window.

I kept one complete set of civvy's in the locker - to deflect questions about where my civvy's were. Everything else was kept in a suitcase in the boot of my car. Other people did the same too, I actually had a couple of other lad's kit in my car once they realized the benefits........of course, they paid rent in the form of a couple of pints.

If only I had thought of doing that.

I always did like being told to wind my neck in.

I had something similar. Sgt inspected our rooms while we weren't there. I got lots of press ups, burpees, runs to the horizon and more press ups , then a swift punch in the head, my twenty quid given back to me with the words of advice to lock my shit away as there's always some light fingered **** about.

I had something similar. Sgt inspected our rooms while we weren't there. I got lots of press ups, burpees, runs to the horizon and more press ups , then a swift punch in the head, my twenty quid given back to me with the words of advice to lock my shit away as there's always some light fingered **** about.
Was that in recruit training?
My comments were about battalion. The b******t was as bad,if not worse,than depot.

Twenty squids! Why did you have a months pay in your locker?

I stopped a Sgt inspecting the lads at 7am on Saturday morning, he had been on the p@@S since NAAFI break Friday, Puke down his mess dress etc....he had pulled a fridge out for the Friday inspection and found some fluff

Last edited:
Just make a complaint via the chain of command that £100 has gone missing from your locker. It was there before the SNCO entered. Ask for the RMP to be involved to investigate the theft.

Excellent, advice. A soldier that I know, has claimed that a diamond ring has gone missing from his room after the QMs let in civvie contractors without any notice.

I'm still awaiting the conclusion but needless to say shit is hitting the fan over it.

If you have had money go missing then the person doing the inspecting has to explain to the RMP just why he was in your room.

Last edited:
As a SNCO my main concern when doing block inspections was whether the lads were keeping the place in a decent state and there were no massive H&S infractions that could endanger them.

We were a Corps - so despite the lads sometimes acting like utter fucktards we tried to act as if they were grown adults. If this sort of crap is happening in a battalion with fully trained personnel it is indicative of flawed management or a lack of trust with the lads.

Either way it is open season - change the locks as others have suggested (carefully, ensuring that it is undetectable and plead innocence if questioned), drop hints of gear going missing, or other suggestions in here. Another idea is to leave exceptionally questionable adult items in your room. A few butt plugs, a spreader bar and a riding crop will at least make the seniors uncomfortable as f*** and if raised afterwards it gives you the chance of playing the diversity card - it might take a massive set of brass ones to do so but a cracker if you can pull it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped a Sgt inspecting the lads at 7am on Saturday morning, he had been on the last since NAAFI break Friday, Puke down his mess dress etc....he had pulled a fridge out for the Friday inspection and found some fluff
I remember something similar,a Sgt.inspected our rooms right through a w/end,sat and sun.He was on extras and took it out on us,we hated him even more after that the utter cockwomble.
He even made the pads come in.

Latest Threads