Block accommodation with SFA

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Speedy19, Nov 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Unusual situation I know. My 15 year old son is 7 months away from taking his GCSE's and my unit have just moved 60 miles away from where I am currently quartered. As I don't want my son to have to change schools at this late stage, I've got to keep my quarter where I am. Does anyone on here know if I am entitled to a room in the block where my unit now are or is commuting daily the only thing I can do? If I'm commuting, I'll claim HDT, but I would rather live down there during the week than have to drive 120miles a day (not sure if my car will cope with that). I know I wouldn't be getting HDT if I get a room there, but just wondering if anyone knew of anything I can do?

    Cheers in advance
  2. Should be able to get a room in the block.
  3. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    Not an unusual situation at all. Speak to your welfare and admin offices for the up to date info on charges and allowances (if any). Ideally you should seek retention of your quarter until he finishes his exams (get it in writing) and apply for a room in camp.

    See Chap 8 (Given the policy says 1 term only, you'll need to get the CoC on side and maybe not mention the matter till after Christmas):

  4. As BL hs already pointed out, you wil need to apply to retain your MQ at current station, quite a common occurrence actually. Move to your new location as Volsep and move into a room and claim GYH back to your MQ. Should not be a drams providing you have not got waiting lists for MQ in your current location.

    If you commute, HTD capped at 50miles and you would need PACC authority for over that.
  5. Thanks for the replies. I'll have a chat with the CoC again. Last time I spoke to them, they were adamant that I couldn't get a room in the block, but I will go in armed with a bit more info this time. Thanks Brotherton Lad for that link. Big help.
  6. Entirely normal, happens all of the time. The way your unit is treating you I'm guessing its an Inf Bn?
  7. CanteenCowboy

    CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

    Ha not any I know, most WO and Sgts mess's are now bursting at the seams accomodation wise because nearly all live in and quite a few of attached are usually involsep until the school times are over......
  8. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    I think it is volsep, unless I'm really out of touch.
  9. It you get the support CEAS and retention of SFA it is definitely INVOLSEP. I will dig out the relevant chapter and post tomorow
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JSP 752, Chapter 1, Section 2, Annex B, Para 1h.
  11. That's brilliant Caarps, thanks very much
  12. Just to clarify this, if I get the support of CEAS and retain my quarter, I am then classed as INVOLSEP and get the accommodation in the block at my unit's new location and am entitled to GYH to my quarter?

    If the above is correct, will I pay accommodation charges for living in the block or does the usual scope of only paying for one lot of accommodation still apply?

    Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that I have everything straight in my head before I go wandering into the clerks office with the wrong end of a stick
  13. Each time I have retained my SFA for education purposes I have been overeseas from my residence, therfore ineligible for GYH. However I rmember somewhere (in the back of my mind) that individuals in reciept of LSA (VOLSEP/INVOLSEP) are not entitled to GYH. JSP 752 is the 'bible' on these things, I would suggest having a look in there (Chap 5, Sect 2 for GYH).
  14. PS. You will only pay for your SFA, not your accomodation. You will pay food if not on a PAYD site.
  15. Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a room in the block and am classed as VOLSEP. I have to pay accommodation charges, but PAYD is here, so food is not an issue. I will get GYH pay though which will easily cover the cost of the room and leave me some change for fuel. All in all, a decent result.

    Cheers for the time you took to look at that CAARPS, much appreciated