Blitz memorabilia

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I’d love to build one. There is one for sale on Facebook marketplace at the moment but it’s in Norwich.

A little far for a Gucci kids garden den.

I’ve been toying with the idea of using a pig arc to build a an oversized one in the spirit of an Anderson shelter.
Use coroline sheets, heat them in the sun and let them bend over a wooden former
If you use the black ones you can splash silver pain on to make it look weathered
I have the building instructions for one here and other wartime stuff if you want copies for the kids

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Use coroline sheets, heat them in the sun and let them bend over a wooden former
If you use the black ones you can splash silver pain on to make it look weathered
I have the building instructions for one here and other wartime stuff if you want copies for the kids
Good shout but I want to go the whole hog and bury mine. I don’t think those sheets would take the weight.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Good shout but I want to go the whole hog and bury mine. I don’t think those sheets would take the weight.
No they need a wooden former
I would be inclined to build a concrete former for it to drop into
Along with a land drain going downhill
They will of course require an authentic WW2 torch to find their way
Pm me your addy and I will forward one from my collection of ancient rusty crap
Ps there is. A ghost street in my town, some children playing with their wartime finds lost their lives, houses were gradually lost, and the remaking three were re numbered to an adjoining street
The children are together in death, a little row of graves in our local cemetery
I took some forum members their last year

The other awful side of war!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Exrivofrigido

Old-Salt
The boy’s school topic this term is the Blitz…

Ravers, a fascinating subject. I haven’t seen this elsewhere on the thread (though entirely possible I’ve missed it), but grab yourself a copy of this if you haven’t already. Annoyingly hard to stop using as a reference wherever you go in central London. If you prefer a worthy cause rather than Amazon the likes of IWM and Museum of London also sell it!

Amazon product

Got a couple of pieces of a Heinkel that crashed at Withyham in 1941, not sure what to do with them lol.. found them in the 70's when I was a nipper been in my Mum and Dad's loft ever since

I used to bump into Steve Strange occasionally before he turned up his toes, the last time with Philip Sallon and the still lovely Linda Bee at an auction house.

A6590CFC-E501-4BF3-8A02-623103EE33CF.jpeg

Another Anderson shelter on ebay . Although it's in Ramsgate it's disassembled already and it's more than 1 whole shelter. Might be worth getting a quote from Shiply

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
We’re building an Anderson shelter today.

Amazon boxes and glue.

The substrate around the shelter is a combination of filler, ash out of the fireplace and coal dust.

Still need to add some tufts of grass (finely chopped green thread glued in place) and a few other accessories like a ladder.
18EE5744-4DB1-4918-963F-EDD3D293CA60.jpeg
8A12D903-D017-4A79-9DBB-CCCD5CB4753A.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Added some tufts of grass.

Happy with that. I think we’re done.

BD7E8C50-98DB-40DA-B95D-5672AA59C1E9.jpeg
4DAC5DB5-D0AB-4317-BEB2-D8760BB1C87E.jpeg

If your lads into that he might like the book The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall. Think the TV version ( early 80s ) is on YouTube. If your not aware it's about souvenir collecting kids during the blitz who get a machine gun off a downed Luftwaffe plane ..

Last edited:

Latest Threads