blisters and tinc benz co

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by snacks, Dec 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is the best treatment of acute blisters?
    i remember injecting blisters with tinc benz co but on some american medical sites it is now apparently banned no reason for this is given.
    i have a friend doing the sahara marathon next year and i was wondering if any of you have any more treatment ideas.
    any suggestions much appreciated.
    ta snacks. :roll: i am not doing the marathon he must be nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

2. I too have a few friends who've done the Marathon des Sables. Nutters :D

As always, prevention is better than cure. I'm told that the following is good advice:
    - your feet swell in the heat get shoes a couple of sizes too big.
    - sand in your shoes causes blisters keep it out in the sand stages using gaiters - I believe that parachute silk glued round the sole of the trainer is the preferred option. IIRC correctly the dune stages are near the start of the race and they can be removed afterwards.
    - Apparently porelle socks are sandproof and some people use them to keep the sand out.
    - lots of zinc oxide and vaseline in the appropriate places.

If all else fails, there is a central med facility. Apparently the doc has a reputaion as a bit of a sadist and does use tinc benz . Some people I believe self treat as it's less painful.

I've no idea why tinc benz has been banned in the States. Maybe it's because it's painful and carcinogenic.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It was banned as it was found to give Medics too much fun.

4. many thanks for above advice.
    i am hoping he gets some blisters whilst training would love a trip down memory lane..............ouch!

5. stop being such a beefer and grizz em!
    after couple days blisters goes away and turns into hard skin makin skin like leather!

6. Haven't used tinc benz for years, but now use compeed instead as it is painfree. It can also be used at hot spots to prevent a blister forming. If however you have a blister and have access to an insulin syringe (with needle attached), aspirate from the side of the blister as this will stop you stabbing an already painful area. Remember that a blister is protecting the area below, so don't take the roof off a blister unless you really have to. Although some people prefer zinc oxide tape, this must be applied properly or it will do more harm. Something as simple as wearing 2 pairs of socks, a fine pair turned inside out to stop contact with seams, under a heavier pair can help prevent blisters.

7. You can swab your feet, or other bits you want to protect, with tinc benz. The trick then is to leave it free to air, until it becomes tacky to touch - that's when you put the zinc oxide tape on, and it'll bond solid. It takes bloody ages to come off after, mind, but by then you'll be home with your feet up, swinging your lamp and telling everyone what a heroic performance you put in.

I couldn't really say whether there's any dramas with it in the heat, but prevention is definitely better than cure.

Good luck!

8. Tinc benz is the docs way of punishing bad personal admin!

I'm also a believer in Hydrogen peroxide to lol

No doubt I'll get booed out of the forum by progressive thinkers

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Not this callsign!

10. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Tic Benz, good stuff. Had a gruesome blister on my left foot doing, of all things, a 2 mile canoe portage. Older mate whips out this stuff, says it'll sting a bit....!!!

(EM: Do this for your mate, and he will buy you as many slabs as you can manage to drink... Surely I would not want you to make your mate scream the camp down, never...)

But, plus side, my heels like leather now - never had a blister since.

11. Explain?

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The benzine content means that there is a chance of cancer if you use it. Don't know what the chances are but t is (no doubt - "significantly") more than it is if you don't......

Normal H&S sh!t :roll:

13. MMMMMMMMWAAAHH :D

very lame I know

14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I know, I know...can't help biting :oops: :oops: :D

15. What he said, tried and trusted :D Tinc benz also known as Friar's Balsam, if anyone insists it is carcinogenic, please provide a link or at least some evidence :wink: :wink: :wink:

@Snacks: here's some more info for your mate:

http://www.ar.co.za/articles/footcare.html
    http://www.herbaled.org/THM/Compounds/friars.html
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~austcent/ultratips.html

I did the 100km UK Oxfam Trailwalker in July 2006, finished in about 26 hours. I didn't train for it and didn't get blisters.

As Nike say, just do it :D :D :D