Blister pop or not?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Reflection, Mar 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I have been running on the shingle on the beach near me and I have developed a rather nasty blister on my toe. It is so big it maybe gives me and extra half inch in height :D

Whats best for it pop it and stick a plaster on it or leave it as is? with the people who I have asked , their opinion is divided on pop or not.

Also do feet natually toughen up in time? As up until now it has been trainers or trainers in terms of my footwear.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Pop it, rip the skin off and dab with vinegar. that will toughen you up!!!!!
  3. Use a sterilised needle and poke 2 holes in the blister and let the gunge ooze out. When it's stopped cover with a plaster for a day. Job done.
    DO NOT PEEL THE SKIN OFF. This will leave it open to infection and nastiness.
  4. I always pop 'em with two little holes like legs does. If you can get a compeed plaster to fit onto it they are amazing at healing and pain relief. Blister on your toe though? seriously look at your sock and footwear choice.
  5. Tinc benz anyone ?!
  6. Feet do toughen up with time, but for short term boosts surgical spirit wiped on every day will help. Do not use too much apparentlybut not sure why not..
  7. Pop it with a needle, but only if you can keep it sterile. Your feet will toughen up with time. You can always try rubbing the soles with surgical spirit, although I'm not convinced that it helps to speed up the process. ZnO tape will protect your hot spots.

Tinc benz - bloody evil stuff! I remember having it injected directly into a blister on the sole of my foot right through the zinc oxide tape. Feck!
  8. be a man bite it off!
  9. Yep, two holes with a sterile needle, but be careful, its best to stick the needle in parallel to the skin making both holes in one pass, rather than jabbing it in twice at ninety degrees.
  10. Lance it, cover it, keep the area as clean as you can, 2 brufen and a tubigrip, drink plenty of water, eat 5 pieces of fruit or veg a day, restrict alcohol to 2-4 units daily, don't eat yellow snow...
  11. If it's a big blister, I usually burst it straight through from one side to the other with a threaded needle, then cut it and leave the thread in for a day or two. This lets the fluid escape without the punctures healing over before it dries out.
  12. If you use the needle and thread trick remember to sterilise the needle first by heating it up in a hot flame as this will reduce the risk of infection.
  13. Bottle of whiskey and a red hot poker be a man about it
  14. If you do pop/burst it make sure you get all the fluid out. Don't rip the skin off and give it a clean with some surgical spirit when your done.
  15. Is it just me that puts iodine on it once ive cleared all the fluid out of it?
    I know it nacks but stops any infection.