Bling Medals revisited

Discussion in 'RAC' started by commander, Sep 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know we have covered this before and no doubt will again on rememberance sunday. However last week I was privilaged to be on the OP Banner parade, plenty of medals on parade etc. But what was dissapointing was the number of bling medals mounted and worn as issue ones. Asked one guy why and his reply was why not? rather than get involved in heated arguments on that day I left it, but still feel it is wrong to mix like that.

2. Oh no not the ' Bling debate ' again - simply put many have served their country without proper recognition other than that poor excuse for a medal the 'veterans badge ' this wil go on and on and on !!!!!!

3. Issue ones in the correct place - Bling ones anywhere else. Job done

4. I agree with you 100%

5. If they're retired then they can wear whatever medal they want wherever they want (except for those decorations covered from misuse by civil law). If they want to invent the Honourable Order of Walter Mitty medal, make it themselves out of old shoe leather and belly button lint and wear it then they can do. They're the ones that end up looking a c0ck.

6. By 'bling' medals, I hope you are including that lovely gold QJM that I so proudly wear. While we are on the subject, anyone know where I can get it 're-golded' again as brasso doesn't mix too well with it!!

7. I believe Airfix or Humbrol make some nice gold paint

8. or simply buy a new one £28.95 from Worcmedals

This isnt bling (agreed it looks crap) as it was issued!

9. Sorry for being naive, perhaps. But what are Bling medals?? I've got my issued ones, all nicely mounted together, and I've never even looked at other medals.......why would I? I'm happy with my lot, and need no more.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah but some of us scraped in for 1 gong despite numerous tours! Not that I have any bling, I have enough badges already to open a scouts outfitters!

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

What he said, however feeling very grumpy today and not sure why this is in the RAC Thread as:

a. It appears every ten minutes elsewhere.
    b. Although I have seen one or two I think this is not just an RAC problem.

12. It is in the RAC thread asit is the thread I use the most and vlaue the feedback, I am aware it appears elsewere. it was just meant to be an observation on Op Banner service.