Blinded cadet has compensation cut

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dterp, May 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this in our local paper. Another example of our caring society helping those that try to help themselves.

Sutton Coldfield Observer

10:30 - 25 May 2007

A Sutton man who was maimed and blinded by an IRA bomb has had his compensation claim slashed because he has learned to cook for himself.

Stephen Menary, now 20, was a 14-year-old army cadet when he lost his sight, hearing in one ear and his lower left arm after picking up a booby-trapped torch.Since that day he has refused to give up, and his determination has seen him re-learn everyday tasks we take for granted, like cooking and doing his own washing.

But his efforts to improve his well-being mean the Government's Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority have decided not to grant him the full £150,000 compensation he was expecting.

Speaking to our sister newspaper, The Mail on Sunday, Stephen said: "I am being punished for seeking to do basic things for myself.

"The system favours those who do nothing to improve their lives at the cost of those who struggle to achieve a little independence."

Stephen is a victim of the CICA's policy of delaying payments to younger victims to see if they complete educational courses or improve their life skills.

He has still not received a penny.

"Maybe they are waiting in the hope that I will be able to do everything on my own one day and they won't have to give me any assistance," Stephen added.

"But my left arm isn't going to grow back and I'll never be able to see again. My hearing will never be better than partial."

Stephen's life changed forever in 2001 when he found a military-issue torch outside the main building of the Territorial Army Centre in London, where he was attending a meeting.

He could never have known that the IRA had left it there, packed with Semtex.

The bombers have never been caught. Stephen now lives off disability benefits in Sutton Coldfield.

"There is no excuse for my compensation claim taking six years. I was always aware that it would take a long time, but six years?

"I've worked very hard, pushing myself and doing all I can to improve my life skills, but the harder I work to be independent the more I am punished for it."

2. Shocking.

What's Gerry Adams' salary?

3. Bastards.............it makes you sick.

4. How can they possibly think that this course of action is in anyway right/acceptable. It is another case of bean counters trying to save a few pennies at someone who is an easy target. I think that this is an utter disgrace and that this decision should be reversed. :pissedoff:

5. disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful ,

6. I don't believe this, another kick in the teeth from this country to another member of the Armed Forces (Cadets but still part of the family).

I watched with intrigue the other night a programme featuring the USA Veteran Association and wondered what we had as a parallel, the answer I come up with was the RBL. Is it not time that the RBL styled itself in the US VA and started to gain some political clout.

If the Army has a 20k turnover of personnel in 10 years thats 200k ex army if this is standard there must be 1-2 million ex and serving armed forces out there. This must translate into a sizable political force to lobby the government with regards to Forces Welfare issues.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I feel these issues now need to have political willpower behind them to prevent ANY government from treating ex and serving members of HMF like sh*t.

7. Mr Menary should sue the MoD for failure in its duty of care. That is the only language the spineless bureaucrats understand - "fairness", "loyalty" and "honour" are not to be found in the government-issue dictionary.

8. i can clearly remember this attack..
    my own sons were also in the A.C.F at the time and myself having not long left the regs had been "recruited"as an instructor..
    one of my first tasks were to try"TRY??"to get the message through to them..
    I TOOK AN OLD THERMOS FLASK AND PLACED MARZIPAN AND A OLD WRIST WATCH A BATTERY AND SOME WIRES INTO THE SCREWABLE BASE..

I LEFT IT ON THE TABLE AT THE ENTRANCE WITH A SIGN SAYING DO NOT TOUCH..

DURING MY LESSON "WHICH INCLUDED THE PLT SGT AND COMMANDER"
    I ASKED THEM ALL TO BE HONEST WITH THEMSELVES..
    THEN ASHED WHO HAD TOUCHED IT..

THE BEST PART OF THE DETACMENT HAD HANDLED IT INCLUDING THE PLT SGT AND COMMANDER AND MY SONS "WHO HAD WATCHED ME MAKING THE THING AT HOME..

i think the message got through to every one how an everyday object could be so lethal when i showed every one what it contained..

sadly this was the case of this young lad..
    top marks to him for refusing to lay down and feel sorry for himself..

9. absolutely feckin disgraceful,
    Bet if he was 'irish' he'd get the compensation paid directly to his bank account the week the claim went in
    I AM TRULY DISGUSTED at the procrastination of civil servants

they are supposedly working for the greater good,
    not just to hold on to a few measly quid(yes i know its £150k)

10. I remember the incident well at the time I cried, I also gave some money to a fund set up to help this young man.

This time I cried with anger....words fail me

11. Now now dont be racist/sectarian its a disgrace yes but plenty of people over here in N.I. civillians not military have been fcuked over too you are just being rediculous saying that if he was irish he would have gotten it paid in that week what a load of balls.Remember the Shankill bomb the kids that got blown up in it recieved just 27K ish each so u are clearly talking crap!!

On further research Alan McBride who lost his wife n the attack recieved only recieved £487 for his injuries in the blast.

12. AT LEAST THEY HAVE RECEIVED SOME DOSH

and my comments weren't aimed at 'civilians/ victims'
    more at the provo/loyalists with their grubby mitts out for compensation for all the cruel things done to them.

13. Sorry if i was a bit harsh fella yeah your right the cnuts that raged terror on us and on england and the reast of the continent have some fcuking neck asking for money like the families of shot provos who were shot on as they call it 'active service' or stupid prods who shot themselves in the foot (muppets) they shouldnt get any cash they should be hung for what they did!

Faugh-a-Ballagh

14. msr

msr LE

15. outrageous!!!