BLIAR Visits Baghdad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CrapSpy, Dec 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tony Blair has met with Iraq's Prime Minister Iyad Allawi in a high-risk visit to Baghdad.

Security was tight and Mr Blair's trip had been kept a secret until he touched down in the Iraqi capital.

Mr Blair's helicopter flight into Baghdad's Green Zone followed a news blackout by Downing Street.

Despite heavy security, the Green Zone has been the scene of numerous deadly attacks by insurgents.

Mr Blair went straight into talks at the US embassy with the American commander of the multi-national force, General George Casey and his British deputy, General John Kiszely.

The Prime Minister, accompanied by police and special forces bodyguards, went on to visit the Iraqi electoral commission.

Mr Blair is the first head of government to visit central Baghdad since the handover of power to Mr Allawi's interim government.

It was Mr Blair's most high-risk visit yet, both in terms of his personal safety and the potential political backlash.

Speaking at a press conference, Mr Blair said that whatever people's views of the wisdom of removing Saddam Hussein, the elections - due in five weeks - represented a battle between democracy and terror.

He said: "Britain is not a nation of quitters and the people of Iraq are not going to quit in bringing about democracy."

Mr Blair said he believed that the attempt to stop the elections would continue and he said that even once the elections had been held, the violence may continue.

"I think everybody understands that violence will continue after the election, but we will then have a clear expression of the democratic will."

On holding the elections, Mr Blair said: "The choice is between democracy and freedom and it's our job to help the Iraqi people because that's what they want.

"When I meet the people working alongside the United Nations, Iraqis in fear of their life every day because they are trying to bring freedom and democracy to their people...then I know we are doing the right thing.

"The danger people feel here is coming from terrorists and insurgents who are trying to stop the country from becoming a democracy.

"If we defeat terrorism here we will deal it a blow worldwide. It will be good for the Middle East and what is good for the Middle East is good for the rest of the world."

Wonder if he'll bother to stop by in Basra?
  2. oh for a well placed ND.
  3. well at least he had the cahonas to visit the hell hole that him and W created. Just hope there was no cringe worthy meeting with brit squadies who had to smile and shake his hand.

agent smith
  4. I have just come back from a meeting in the same building and did not even know he was there!!!!!

Having said that, there was an awful lot of helicopter activity and someone did say that a VVIP was in the building.
  5. Im sure moral has improved no end. :roll:
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Not all the extras from all the RSM's of hell would get me to shake hands with that cnut.

I might smile though, if I saw his lifeless body in a pool of his own blood and p!ss.

7. Well, all credit to the man, at least he didn't carve up a rubber "turkey" for the Lads. :roll:
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Not been to Scotland recently, then....
  9. I reckon its the first move of his re-election bid, it would'nt surprise me if he went before Easter, too much bad news on the horizon.

I would'nt touch him with a forty foot barge pole. :evil:
  10. So he didn't take an hour out to meet any troops then? Wonder why....
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Yeah - not one visible anyway.

WTF couldn't he have gone to Mosul......

12. He and Rummy and W could have made it a threesome.

They could have gone to Fallujah for a photo op: pressing the flesh with happy, grateful locals.
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye NWD, it has it's allure - just think of all the journos that would have gone with them......

14. No but he had supper with the Dukes (sorry 3rd Bn the Yorkshire Regt). I am sure he got a great welcome! :lol: