Bliar speaks: £200k a pop

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But sadly it seems he can do nothing more in private life than he could as PM: spout meaningless garbage.

Even the Chinese are P1ssed off!

Anger at Tony Blair's 'boring' £200,000 speech

The former prime minister spoke to businessmen and government officials in the industrial city of Dongguan, two hours' north of Hong Kong, on Tuesday evening.

Local media estimates of his fee ranged from US$330,000 to US$500,000 (£160,000 to £240,000).

Although the real estate firm which hired him for a “VIP banquet” refused to confirm the sum, the local tax office admitted he had paid just under £80,000 in income tax and £6,500 for a three per cent business tax, which would work out to a total fee of about just under £200,000.

What made matters worse for newspaper commentators was that Mr Blair failed to say anything interesting.

One said he had trotted out the same platitudes about the importance of collaboration between government and business, and of the environment, as you would hear from the officials in his audience.

"Frankly, we are very familiar with all this – it's just like listening to any county or city official's reports,” Deng Qingbo wrote in the China Youth Daily.

"If so, why pay such a high price to hear the same thing? Is it worth the money? Do these thoughts multiply in value because they come from the mouth of a retired prime minister?”;jsessionid=JDEBI3YZ10UR3QFIQMFCFFOAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/11/08/wblair108.xml

I sense more gaps in his diary.........
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Truth is priceless, but clearly you can put a price on lies.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Cooer, nice work if you can get it. I'd like to stand in front of an audience of businessmen and political leaders and be able to say "Bliar is a cnut, Bliar is a cnut, and for those of you at the back, BLIAR IS A CNUT!"

Do you know, I'd even do it for 50p.
  4. I despise Blair, don't get me wrong, but what did they expect him to say exactly?
  5. I'd pay 200k to lure him to a particular location, he wouldn't need to speak although the odd cry of pain wouldn't go amiss just to let me know I'm doing it right.
  6. China Youth Daily is a Party organ, being criticised in it is effectively a big bitch-slap from the PRC government. Contacts being everything in China, looks like he's just shot his bolt in that part of the world.

And since he can't use public money to hire a better speechwriter anymore I don't think his mortgage will be getting paid in RMB, somehow.

Now all we need is for the Seppos to tire of him soon and we could see the bailiffs in. :lol:
  7. I would not pay 200 new pence to hear the dishonest chancer.

As posted earlier, Bliar is a total, utter, absolute, complete CNUT !
  8. Start the whipround, mate. Just tell me where to send the cash! :twisted:
  9. ...£200k to talk on the world stage yet new intakes at Hereford (etc) have to sign a gagging order for fear they'll reveal trade secrets?
  10. Yeah, and at least ex-THEM would have something interesting to talk about...