Bletchly Park in trouble

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Murphy_Slaw, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Took my daughters there when it reopened a couple of years ago - Fantastic museum, loads of interesting stuff, (cue two girls wondering why dad was staring open mouthed at this big box on wheels with dials going 'click whirrr clunk')

Thoroughly recommend a visit - though even then I was dismayed to see the state that some of the famous huts had been allowed to fall into...
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

3. It would be a shame if BP did close. I walk past it every day on my way to work and always think about how it must have been during the war. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit last summer, although I don't think the wife was quite as enthusiastic. I also recently found out that my Mum's cousin was there for a while during WWII.
  4. Mmmmm Arrse campaign anyone?
  5. Absolutely!! Place is a treasure for Gods sake!!

Fantastic day out and deserves every penny it gets. Can't believe they won't fund it. Obviously need a few more one-legged eastern european lezzers working there, then they wouldn't dare not give them funding.
  6. It would be a pity to see the old place go, I live barely 2 miles from the park and the place has been part of Bletchleys history for years. Hell, the local council have even renamed Bletchley as "Home of the Codebreakers".
    Hopefully if it's a decent summer then the visitor numbers may go up, it was only barely saved from demolition when BT sold it and lots of people worked hard to keep it intact.

Arrse campaign: seconded
  7. If you're free this Bank Holiday monday get down there for the Forties Family Festival complete with BOB memorial flight flypast 8)
  8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Got to go visit this place. Not only is it one of the most important stories of WW2, but my old man used to work there. Not that glamourous realy, it was in the 60s and he worked for BT.
  9. For the kiddies there's also a 'home front' museum/collection, featuring domestic appliances and lots of toys. Must get Père Whiffler to visit.
  10. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The MK News had a front page story on it and are backing the fund raising campaign that Bletchley Park are organising.

If anyone's in favour of doing anything then it would probably be worth talking to Simon Greenish to co-ord.

They also house a fantastic collection of Churchill memerobilia. The fact that you can pay £10 and go as many times as you like in a year is a fantastic deal in my eyes and I'd hate to see the place close. There are a number of the old huts that are in dire need of attention and which they don't have the funds to restore.
  11. Going on monday thanks to this thread, anything 'not to be missed'?
  12. It's a while since I've been, but certainly the bombe room and the huts (if you can get in). It's one of those places where the hair stands up on back of the neck when you think of what went on here. It's not as spectacular as Arnham or the D-Day beaches but just as important in terms of WWII history.
  13. I think there's also a museum there dedicated to the Ox & Bucks and their splendid effort with Pegasus bridge.