Bless em all . . The Independent praises junior soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stonker, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this in (of all papers) The Independent: couldn't find it anywhere else on ARRSE, so I thought it deserved an airing here.

Here's to Dom Wright, and all the other young'uns like him.

2. Well found, Stonker. I don't normally read the Indie and that is an interesting article.

However, Minty usually warns us if there is something useful in the Indie; what has happened to her? But I note that the Indie's parent company is not in good health!

Litotes

3. msr

msr LE

It has been done before...

Lits: Minty writes for the Grauniad.

msr

4. If ever there was reason to bring back the JLR system........

5. Frommemory, that was exactly what was in the mind of Gen Michael Rose, when - in pretty much his finalk act as Adjutant General - he set up the Harrogate college, Junior Leader's Regiments (which produced lifelong soldiers who made up some 80% of the Army's SNCOs/WOs) having been closed down (under John Major's Tory gunmint, if memory serves) on grounds of being "too costly". :roll:

6. Never did quite grasp why it was binned.... was it money saving?

Of course, I was no mere Junior... I was one of Gods Chosen the Apprentice Tradesmen.

7. I had the pleasure of having a drink with Terri last week. She's very much a pro-forces journo, and she certainly knows what she's talking about. I wish more journos were like her!

She's quite fit too ;)

8. Just reading article makes me wonder that if the JLR system was too costly, how much was saved by 'rescuing' troubled youths and producing thousands of intelligent, motivated guys who would give back far more to the country, both in serving, and once they'd left the forces. The junior soldier establishments were damned good at picking up the pieces of a broken education system, and fixing their 'failures'.
    I'm 100% sure I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

9. Yes indeed, one can only wonder at what was going through their minds when they thought that one up :roll: I seem to remember reading that it had something to do with the Deepcut problems and one or two other well-publicised and no doubt completely exagerrated "scandals" involving Juniors. That and the short-sighted pursuit of the totally illusory "peace dividend" of course.
    Having said that there seems to have been a certain amount of myopia about the system even in the Army. A friend of mine, when RSM of our battalion, attended a meeting of all Infantry RSM's at Sandhurst in the mid 90's. They were addressed by a number of v.senior officers one of whom was, IIRC, Gen. Sir Charles Guthrie, then CGS?. He was asked about the Junior system and why it was ending and made a reply along the lines of it being all terribly over-rated and that he wasn't convincd about it's usefullness. He then asked for a straw-poll amongst all present of who were ex-junior bleeders, about 75% raised their hands! His next comment was along the lines of "Good God, I stand corrected, I stand corrected"
    This was a great article though, good to read something positive about the Army.

10. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

You litlte name dropper PA, But yes we could do with more journo,s who brought the real world of soldiering and the plight of the Armed forces into the front room of the british public. well done Terri

11. Just because I beat you too it ;)

12. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

We,ll we are lucky Tatty can,t read big words or he would have claimed to have made her Canapes!!!

13. I made her canapes last week. And she's very fit. :wink:

14. I was an army apprentice in 1959, there were 13 boys in our squad , I was medically discharged, 1 got 15 years for armed robbery, I was the only one who couldnt hold a substantial senior rank, 9 out of the remaining 10 as far as I know were commisioned, lowest commisioned rank on demob was captain, junior leaders were just starting in the 60,s they have always been a good source of regular soldiers and well educated efficient tradesmen , but there again as my old CSM used to say in those days we were needing them not just feeding them 8)

15. If true, its nice to see senior officers doing their research and being well informed.....