BLESMA Paris Marathon

I know there is competition from Hols4Heroes, JD running London, BB67 chucking herself out a plane and Syledis wasting away, but please chuck some beer tokens my way. I so need the encouragement, and it's for a great cause. It might be you next .

Cheers and thanks in advance, any amount welcome. Click on the linky below :D

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Huzza!

there are at least three Arrsers running Paris this year - any more for any more ?

We would love to hear from anyone else who is running it , regardless of the charity you're supporting ?

My training is going backwards - but every time I feel a whinge coming on I think about the guys I've met at Headley Court, and take myself outside for a bit of a talking-to !

BLESMA has been around a long time - and unfortunately, the current conflicts have more than refreshed their membership
( anyone who loses a limb or an eye whilst serving is automatically part of BLESMA) .

Having been dragged into the race protesting old age and infirmity, I'm looking forward to it!

If you have a moment do please visit the site - and thanks .

Le Chevre

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< BUMP >>

This is why we're running for BLESMA:
John Mason's story:

:
Working in a bomb disposal unit, I had known about BLESMA for years. I had no idea how much the name would mean to me one day.

I was deployed to Afghanistan in November 2001. Working with a small team, our aim was to clear the land for a Royal engineers camp. led to believe the area was safe, we undertook a visual inspection. but the information was wrong. There was a sudden explosion and I sustained blast injuries suffering various penetrative injuries to my left leg and upper torso.

Shrapnel hit me in the face and I lost the sight of my right eye. I also suffered traumatic amputation of my left foot.

it was while I was in hospital that I had my first experience with BLESMA . They gave me lots of information and early on they helped me sort out a prosthetic limb. Whatever my problem BLESMA gave me advice and if they couldn't help they put me in touch with people who could. they bent over backwards to help me.

Last year I decided I wanted to give something back. In June I raised over £1,600 by running the London Marathon in aid of BLESMA.

The biggest point I want to make about BLESMA's rehabilitation is it's so refreshing to get away and be with people who despite their injuries, have such a bright positive outlook on life . It's a real leveller and quite a humbling experience

syledis said:
Ill chuck a few quid Fair Maids way if she promises to wear tight shorts for the run!
Well I had been thinking of running in a can-can outfit .......... :lol:

Many thanks S, lycra shorts it is then!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
syledis said:
For the love of god, stick with the can-can outfit!!!
I take it that it's on'y FMP who gets to wear this !
If anything could keep me in hot pursuit I reckon that would do the trick .

Come on peeps - I know there are a million claims on yer wallet out there,all of them very sound - but BLESMA has never been more relevant to Servicemen and their families than RIGHT NOW

VIDEO

Thanks,

Le Chevre

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
John Bee

no, we can both run okay under normal circs ( well, FMP runs...I sort of lurch mostly) ......the name reflects the fact that we CAN - and some of these guys can't - at the moment at least:

Tom and Mark both featured in the BBC documentary 'Wounded' last year.
- which recently won the Royal Telvision Society award for 'Best Documentary 2009'

The kid easily beating Marine O ( on her own prosthetics) is Lydia Cross - and she says HE is her hero ?

True dit: The guy who inspired me to stop whinging and crack on during my first FLM was a bloke called Chris Moon.......who went on to run the Marathon Des Sables - (which is no-foolin' hardcore runner turf)

What do Tom,Mark and Chris Moon have in common ? Well, apart from all being nails - they are all automatically life members of BLESMA.
( not Lydia though - they wouldn't let her do the BARB in case she embarassed some of the guys....)

So, don't just put your own wedge on (for which many thanks BTW !) - tell your mates.......

( Blimey FairMaid......looks like we'd better at least cross the Start then ?)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< BUMP >>

Anyone know whether the metro runs into Paris from CDG ?

Looking to book a flight this weekend - and ,no, I won't be flying British Airways......

Don Cabra

RER B runs from CDG into paris.

The ticket will cost about 10 euros each way. The electonic ticket machines work in english as well, just look for the union flag in the top right.

Takes about 30 mins to get to central paris.

Note: There are express and suburban trains from CDG. The express trains only stop at CDG terminal 1 & 2 then straight through to Gare du nord.

Goatman said:
anyone who loses a limb or an eye whilst serving is automatically part of BLESMA.
Also any former servicemen or woman who lose a limb or eye in later life for whatever reason (accident/medical) are eligible for membership as an associate member. As an associate member you are treated exactly the same as an ordinary member.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
k13eod said:
Also any former servicemen or woman who lose a limb or eye in later life for whatever reason (accident/medical) are eligible for membership as an associate member. As an associate member you are treated exactly the same as an ordinary member.
So, any ex-British Forces who subsequently takes a job in ......er.....Iraq, say
working for a company called something like ....er....OliveDrab or Bluewater
(Executive Outcomes) who is involved in an IED and loses a limb ?

or indeed just piles his/her Kawasaki Ninja into a camel?

Good. I don't give a damn how much they've earned while they are out there....

Run Forrest, run........

:boogie:

Goatman said:
k13eod said:
So, any ex-British Forces who subsequently takes a job in ......er.....Iraq, say
working for a company called something like ....er....OliveDrab or Bluewater
(Executive Outcomes) who is involved in an IED and loses a limb ?

or indeed just piles his/her Kawasaki Ninja into a camel?

Good. I don't give a damn how much they've earned while they are out there....

Run Forrest, run........

BLESMA care little for the circumstances of the condition rather the rehabilitation of one of our own, serving or ex.

Your post above illustrates it well with the inclusion of an image of the irrepressible Chris Moon!

big fat Easter weekend bump

Thanks to the arrsers who have already generously donated. There's still time for more ..... please dig deeply. Do you really need that Easter egg/last pint? These guys need your help more.

Happy Easter :D

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< BUMP>>

It's tough when everyone else is busy tapering - and you're still working up !

ohwellwhathehell.......

How far is it from the Finish to nearest cab rank......I doubt I'll be walking too well..... :oops:

Giving FMP and Goaty a lift here as they've got one hell of a day coming up and could really do with all the support they can get, as do those who'll benefit from their supreme efforts: BLESMA.

Fuming that during training my knee I royally buggered in the London Marathon for Combat Stress a couple of years ago has firmly put the kybosh on my place with you chaps but i'll be with you in spirit (gin, anyone? :D ). I don't know if they're transferable, but if anyone wants it.....?

Please, a couple of quid on this sunny day WILL make all the difference.

GET YOUR (probably) GUARANTEED TICKET TO HEAVEN RIGHT HERE

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< BUMP >> Good on yer .dolly - nice bump (ooh-er Missus)

After a gentle 11 miler across the Forest yesterday I'm wibbling like mad here.....suspect I'll be popping Brufen like Smarties most of the way but we'll see.

Keep the faith Mizz - and don't worry, we'll drag you to another race before too long I'm sure!

Oh.....and for anyone who hasn't got their heads around it yet - this is why we are running:

A message from BLESMA
BLESMA is the charity that directly supports all our service men and women who lose limbs, the use of limbs, or eyes or the sight of an eye in the service of their country and we are with them all whenever we are needed for the rest of their lives. We also offer Associate Membership and assistance to those who lose a limb after Service. At the outbreak of World War II and all conflicts since, many Members of BLESMA went to War young and whole. They came home disabled for life. Recent casualties from Afghanistan and Iraq have significantly increased the need for our expertise, especially in the early stages as they undergo rehabilitation and come to realise that there are still many opportunities for them to lead a full and useful life. Our work is about Amputee helping Amputee – the fellowship of shared experience.

What do our Members get from your generosity? They get happiness, peace and security, advice, representation, rehabilitation and fellowship. Our two Residential and Care Homes provide permanent residence care and convalescence for the Members as well as a break for relatives from nursing care. We provide lifelong welfare support, represent and campaign for what they deserve. Our youngest Member is 19 and our oldest is 99 – truly we are BLESMA For Life
Guys, to sponsor either FMP or me please go to
www.bmycharity.com/V2/BLESMAParisMarathon

Anyone fancy the Nun Run round London in May ?