BLESMA Paris Marathon

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by fairmaidofperth, Mar 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there is competition from Hols4Heroes, JD running London, BB67 chucking herself out a plane and Syledis wasting away, but please chuck some beer tokens my way. I so need the encouragement, and it's for a great cause. It might be you next .

Cheers and thanks in advance, any amount welcome. Click on the linky below :D
  2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

there are at least three Arrsers running Paris this year - any more for any more ?

We would love to hear from anyone else who is running it , regardless of the charity you're supporting ?

My training is going backwards - but every time I feel a whinge coming on I think about the guys I've met at Headley Court, and take myself outside for a bit of a talking-to !

BLESMA has been around a long time - and unfortunately, the current conflicts have more than refreshed their membership
    ( anyone who loses a limb or an eye whilst serving is automatically part of BLESMA) .

Having been dragged into the race protesting old age and infirmity, I'm looking forward to it!

If you have a moment do please visit the site - and thanks .

Le Chevre
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

<< BUMP >>

This is why we're running for BLESMA:
    John Mason's story:

4. Ill chuck a few quid Fair Maids way if she promises to wear tight shorts for the run!
  5. Well I had been thinking of running in a can-can outfit .......... :lol:

Many thanks S, lycra shorts it is then!
  6. For the love of god, stick with the can-can outfit!!!
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I take it that it's on'y FMP who gets to wear this !
    If anything could keep me in hot pursuit I reckon that would do the trick .

Come on peeps - I know there are a million claims on yer wallet out there,all of them very sound - but BLESMA has never been more relevant to Servicemen and their families than RIGHT NOW

Le Chevre
  8. WHAT HE SAID ABOVE ..... Monday bump
  9. more like cant-cant better with shorts :p
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

John Bee

no, we can both run okay under normal circs ( well, FMP runs...I sort of lurch mostly) ......the name reflects the fact that we CAN - and some of these guys can't - at the moment at least:

Tom and Mark both featured in the BBC documentary 'Wounded' last year.
    - which recently won the Royal Telvision Society award for 'Best Documentary 2009'

The kid easily beating Marine O ( on her own prosthetics) is Lydia Cross - and she says HE is her hero ?

True dit: The guy who inspired me to stop whinging and crack on during my first FLM was a bloke called Chris Moon.......who went on to run the Marathon Des Sables - (which is no-foolin' hardcore runner turf)

What do Tom,Mark and Chris Moon have in common ? Well, apart from all being nails - they are all automatically life members of BLESMA.
    ( not Lydia though - they wouldn't let her do the BARB in case she embarassed some of the guys....)

So, don't just put your own wedge on (for which many thanks BTW !) - tell your mates.......

( Blimey FairMaid......looks like we'd better at least cross the Start then ?)
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

<< BUMP >>

Anyone know whether the metro runs into Paris from CDG ?

Looking to book a flight this weekend - and ,no, I won't be flying British Airways......

Don Cabra
  12. RER B runs from CDG into paris.

The ticket will cost about 10 euros each way. The electonic ticket machines work in english as well, just look for the union flag in the top right.

Takes about 30 mins to get to central paris.

Note: There are express and suburban trains from CDG. The express trains only stop at CDG terminal 1 & 2 then straight through to Gare du nord.
  13. Also any former servicemen or woman who lose a limb or eye in later life for whatever reason (accident/medical) are eligible for membership as an associate member. As an associate member you are treated exactly the same as an ordinary member.
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So, any ex-British Forces who subsequently takes a job in, say
    working for a company called something like or Bluewater
    (Executive Outcomes) who is involved in an IED and loses a limb ?

or indeed just piles his/her Kawasaki Ninja into a camel?

Good. I don't give a damn how much they've earned while they are out there....

Run Forrest, run........

15. BLESMA care little for the circumstances of the condition rather the rehabilitation of one of our own, serving or ex.

Your post above illustrates it well with the inclusion of an image of the irrepressible Chris Moon!