BLESMA Diving - Red Sea 2012

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by k13eod, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was the 4th year that BLESMA organised a diving event in the Red Sea. As usual the event was a week long from 29th September to 6th October and was held on the MV Whirlwind operating out of Sharm. 15 BLESMA members were joined by 2 instructors and 2 guests from Lloyds of London (big donator to BLESMA). This year there were 279 dives completed by the 15 members.

Some superb photos of the event can be found here:

Red Sea 2012 « BLESMA Divers

And the vid is on YouTube - have to boast that a lot of the footage used was mine :)

BLESMA 2012 Scuba Diving Rehabilitation Event - YouTube

Enjoy ... and DONATE!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. No comments on the pics or vid?
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I don't exactly know what to say.
    Must be hard getting to the engine room and back on the Giannis D with one leg without kicking up a lot of silt....helicopter turns are hard with both!

Chuffed to see the lads experiencing it.
  4. A couple of the divers were double so did it with no legs.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Good for them, it's a cracking site with 4 wrecks together and no current - some of my footage on the Giannis D on a night dive made it onto the beeb a few years back.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My 4th year diving it (85 Red Sea dives now) and always a cracking site to dive. Can get a fierce bit of current, but can always dive away from it. Last year we had a pod of around 14-16 dolphins there and they stayed with us for three dives.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Dolphins and the super structure by full moonlight were bought by Anglian tv. Never had current in a dozen or more dives there, chucking you lot off Southern Big Brother with a 1km buddy line could be good for a laugh though.....
  8. Great Video - and hats off to BLESMA and the divers. Red sea diving always superb, great vis, great temperature, good wrecks and sea life.
  9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Great stuff, looks as though you had a great time. Some nice video there too.

Just out of interest, is this 100% civvy diving or do you have to comply with JSSADR?
  10. Great photos, looks like the boys had a good time!

Last time I was on the Whirlwind I fell down that spiral staircase and cracked two ribs, ouch. :sad: Didn't stop me diving though.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Unless things have changed ASADA only recognise BSAC.
    SAA and PADI have had legal (insurance) compliant training programmes catering for disabilities since the mid-90's. I quit as a BSAC OWI in 97 and they were well behind the curve with their buddy only concept then. Maybe things have changed?
  12. Ouch! Some close calls with 'hobblers' up nd down the spiral ... especially during the crossing! We're on it again next year, good boat, good crew.
  13. As BLESMA is civilian organisation all diving is to PADI standard including award of quals. (except for yours truly who remains a grumpy BSAC diver!)