BLESMA and the Great South Run - Oct 28th 2007

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goatman, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Hoping? I'll be blowing out of my hoop down the sea front- hopefully it wont be lasshing down like last year!

3. Did'nt know there was a Great South Run, is that because we have a Great North Run up here and you lot wan't to copy us? Or are you talking about that London marathon thing? I don't know all the same to me.

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

GSR been going since 1990. Website here.

Ten miles rather than Half Marathon - and less of a cattle crush by all accounts. I think the entries closed in June but you might get a place with a charity if you fancy a go.

Perversly ,I'm looking fwd to it. Running for the same charity as Ventress ( The British Limbless ex-Servicemen's Association ) - but much less organised than he is ! :)

Don Cabra

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

some more on BLESMA......JustGiving page follows - PLEASE consider the price of a pint for this charity which does so much for our people.

www.blesma.org

ladies and gents BLESMA is just one of a raft of excellent causes....but if you, like me , feel that Andrew and many like him deserve our support, please visit either of our Justgiving pages and spare the price of a pint ( or even a night on the lash !)

( Go Ventress ! hope the training is ticking away....Denmead was good.)

Lee Shaver
    --

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Just had a huge donation from a ARRSEoanian for which all BLESMA's injured will benefit greatly!

Thanks- you know who you are!!

www.justgiving.com/ventress

OH and give it large GOATMAN!!

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

< bump >

If anyone has the price of a pint of Guinness in their pocket - please head over to

http://www.justgiving.com/goatmansgreatsouth .

meanwhile, here's another short dit from a BLESMA member:

Thank you .

Le Chevre

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

< BUMP >

big thanks Spanish Dave and Panzer Soldat !! and as for the very generous Armchair Jihadi - wow, outstanding - good on yer!

roll up, roll up get your money on people.

( the odds on Goatman staggering around Portsmouth on Sunday before the 'hop-on' crew bus catching him up are longer than you think! )

a pint of Guinness is 2.60 hereabouts - if anyone on ARRSE can spare that for people at BLESMA please go to the Justgiving site ;

http://www.justgiving.com/goatmansgreatsouth

....and thank you so much !

Don Cabra :clap:

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks RFUK,

well it hacked down on 18,000 runners and blew a hooley to boot.....I didn't do last year's race so I'll have to take another runner's word for it that it was nastier this year......not only was the sea breaking over the road down by Clarence Pier but when we went past the Boating lake I swear there were breakers forming on it :D .....I think the spectators had the tougher deal if I'm honest.....slightly surprised that in the 'Charity Village ' at the finish there was not a single Service-related charity represented....maybe RBL will take some space next year, but I suspect that Great Run Inc are charging the charities an arm and a leg for tent-space so maybe not.

Many thanks to those who have sponsored me - and the page will stay open for a bit if anyone wants to donate.

hats off to:

> the Portsmouth Samba band for making me smile
    > the Irish band ( Feckless) on Mountbatten Ave ditto
    > the Gosport Ferry for getting me there in time for a cuppa at the Start
    > the female double amputee running for CLIC- how could I stop ?
    > the bunch of RLC chefs tabbing it with Bergens - good effort guys
    > the mad lady outside the the RMA Arms with a saucepan
    > the NHS paramedic who turned up for the casualty at Mile 9

Sorry I missed you Ventress - I did hang about the WM for a while trying to keep my hat on in the Force 6 , but most of the people there looked too fit to match your description :D

Hope you got round in a more respectable time than me!

Don Cabra

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I would say last year was worse then this, by just a tad. Heavier rain for longer! Big up to all the drenched spectators.

Windy as hell along Eastney Bks front.

£800+ for BLESMA, so being a stiff as a w@nker's hanky is worth while!

(I was pleased the organisers had given us comedy Tags to match most of the scrotes in Pompey!)

See you all next year!

11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Just a last two pennyworth......the picture on my Justgiving site

[​IMG]

was taken by Anastasia Taylor-Lind at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre Headley Court in March this year for a BBC Radio 4 programme entitled 'Soldier's Haven '.

The lad in the shot was severely injured in Afghanistan late last year.

Within a week of receiving his new leg at Headley Court he was JOGGING on it. He was looking forward to going on leave from Headley Court at the end of the week - the most significant moment being when he walked through his mum's front door for the first time since he was casevaced. He is now back with his unit. The grit of these guys is unbelievable.

It is for that young man and others like him that BLESMA stand up, quietly there for ANYONE who has lost a limb in Service - and for whom we were REALLY running on Sunday.

Thanks to all who have given so generously - and , if you feel BLESMA are important, do please pop by one or other of our pages and make a donation however small.

Good on yer :D

Le Chevre

12. Thanks to all that supported BLESMA by sponsoring those that ran in the Great South Run. It is only through the support and generosity of such as you that we are able to continue our rehabilitation and welfare to these very deserving men and women. :D

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Final total: £1000

Cheers to all.