Bleep test help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by edd1989, May 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having real trouble with the bleep test. I've got a little over a week to get myself competently over level 11.
    I'm fit enough, i ran on Thursday 5 miles in 38 minutes, however its the changing of direction that makes my legs nackered. I’m going to keep practising it every day but if there is any help anyone on here can offer I’ll lap it up.

Thanks

Edd

2. Squash helped me, plenty of sudden changes in direction.

3. The only help I can offer is that your whole body doesn't have to be behind the line.

As long as you have a foot on the line, that's enough.

Alternate the foot used to push off the line to spare them.

That's all I've got I'm afraid.

Left this a little late haven't you?

4. I bet it's a really good way to twist a knee badly.

5. Firstly, take a day off training. Rest the day before the test.
    As mentioned above, just put one foot over the line and alternate the foot you use.
    Take your time during the first few stages, there's plenty of time. Then grit your teeth and keep going 'till you think you'll chuck up. Then go a bit further.
    Don't even think of giving up until you collapse.
    I hated running on a track, or up and down the gym, for the bleep test, but loved cross country. I'm sure a lot of the problems people have are psychological.
    Good luck.

6. Unfortunetly your right, i have left it a little late. But i just thought, "my runnings not bad so i'll be fine". Not a smart move i tell you.
    Now i've got until the 4th to get my arrse in shape.
    I'm just going to continue praciticing it and i'll stop on the 1st so my legs will get a chance to recover.
    I'm quite pissed off with myself really for leaving it that late.

I think your right it is more psyshological more than anything else so hopefully when i do the real thing i'll really go for it.

Thanks for that tip with the alternate legs thing too.

Edd

7. Don't bother practicing the lower levels, just go from level 9 up. That should help in building the speed on the higher levels and get your body used to the stopping and starting at speed.

8. Not much you can do at this stage but in the longer term I second squash.. great for training your acceleration and power.. use it as cross training for taekwondo.

J.

9. I used to be a very good standard at 800m in my youth and now an athletics coach there is a few things you could try and do but might not have enough time. As said above take it steady on the lower levels and just touch the line with your foot.
    One idea is to try and lenghten your stride slightly on the lower levels and if you can run a bit more on your toes and not on your heels as most people do. You need to do a bit of fartlek if possible or measure out 30m and do some short sprints to get your body used to the difference of speed your increasing to.
    As also said just try and block it out when you get to the higher level your brain is just trying to make you stop and a lot of running is mind over matter.

10. the best bit of advice is just hang out really it's only 10 mins long you'll soon find out if you want it enough !!

11. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Good advice about alternate legs.

Bear in mind a lot of the bleep test is technique. Advice we were given was to run steady through the 20m and turn fast & hard on the line. Physics suggests this is a little silly - the faster you hit the turn, the more momentum and bodyweight you have to stop and throw in the other direction, which will tire you out more. Similarly, you want to be really sprinting through the middle of the 20m as then momentum is aiding you instead of working against you.

Best way I found was to really sprint through the middle, slow down for the turn so you have already stopped by the time you hit the line, just touch your foot across, then sprint off again. Most efficient way of doing it, saves energy = you can go for longer.

Switching to the above technique I went from struggling to get above level 8 to doing level 11, in the space of one day. Makes a bit of a mockery of it as a standardised test of fitness, really ;-)

12. Thanks for that.. useful post!

J.

13. It is actually a test of 02 capacity that your lungs can endure.

14. This is an awfully stupid question, but Ive never heard the terminology "Bleep Test" - could someone tell me what it is.