Blatant expenses fraud within Labours ranks? (again)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semmy, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quote from news article:-

"By far the biggest car mileage claimant was Labour's Janet Anderson, from the Lancashire constituency of Rossendale and Darwen.
    Her mileage expenses claim of £16,612 was over £4,500 more than the next highest.
    She apparently drove 60,448 miles on poltical business in the space of a year."

Odd that, as an Area Manager who almost lives on the road and covers Sheffield to the Shetlands I can only manage just over half that mileage. I wonder if she could justify that mileage.

Linkage

2. Pretty plausible if she makes the trip from Rossendale to London, which is 440 miles roundtrip, only 140 times in a year. If she was doing it three days a week (leaving two in her consituency), then that'd be 156 days a year, leaving her 14 days spare to have as holiday or something.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it sounds more than likely if she's making the trip to Westminster three or four times a week. I believe they're *made* to spend one day a week in their consituency, making 3 days a week an easy target.

I'm waffling, but have I made sense?

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Taking weekends into account, she drives over 200 miles per day - ALL on gummint or constituency business.

If we work it out on a 9 hour day, averaging 40 miles per hour, she's on the road for 5 hours every day.

Either she is the most committed politician I've ever heard of, or she is about as corrupt as 'lord' levy.

4. Also being paid expenses of 27p per mile... not bad really is it? 25p a mile seems standard for govn service, 30p upwards in private companies

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

She gets paid 40p per mile for the first 10,000, the same as the private sector. Where did you get 27p from, or is that the whole 60,000 miles taken into account?

Looking at her voting record, it would appear she is a fully-on party mouthpiece, thought her voting record gives lie to the fact that she is in parliament 3 days per week.

6. Not checked her voting record, will do.

I just stuck 60,000 miles into £16k. Didn't know it was more complicated than that, sorry

7. Her voting record is pretty good, very few times she hasn't voted - although she does tow the line a bit sickenly. I'd say 80% or more of the time she's voted (voting record) Perhaps it's because of her tiny minority?

8. Whilst it isn't particularly laudable MPs often spend time in their parliamentary offices without voting or debating

9. She looks like Jo Brand.

The Labour Party should buy her a camper van. Save a fortune.

10. That is some mileage.
    Possibly a mathematical error - decimal point in wrong place, or maybe hitting the wrong key when calculating.
    At a tangent I see another 'crony' has been caught with his pants down. Is this the guy (Director of Public Prosequtions) who will decide if T.Bliar is to be tried?

11. Apologies for the triple post

12. Perhaps it's a typo and it should read "Rossendale and Darwin"

Quack

13. it will interesting to see if she also claims for a London home which I believe MPs are entitled to. If she does then there are questions to answer.

14. It is 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p a mile thereafter. Treasury set limits and if the driver gets paid more it is taxed.