Blasted phone has died! Ideas for replacement needed.

I have the P30 pro, it's a brilliant phone. The camera is outstanding. ;)
Its a sad day when people are paying these kind of prices for a fecking phone, just looked it up. £699.00. My car isn't worth that FFS.

My misses has had a Windows Phone for about 5 years. Its basically a Nokia Lumia LTE 640 with a Windows Platform. Brilliant camera, easy to use for the kind of shit she uses it for, news WhatsApp etc.
She is now gutted because Microsoft no longer support the phone, so no news and no WhatsApp.
So she is also on the lookout for a new phone, has to be simple, straight forward, maximum budget £200.00 and that's pushing it.

Sorry for piggy backing the thread but I will be following for any useful information as long as it doesn't go daft on the price.

OneTenner

War Hero
The Alphabet Group will be tracking you, no matter your android... The Alphabet Agencies are optional.
Well... you say that, if you have an AOSP such as LineageOS, then it's Alphabet / Google free in terms of tracking, unless you choose to use their spyware

Its a sad day when people are paying these kind of prices for a fecking phone, just looked it up. £699.00. My car isn't worth that FFS.
That used to be the insane price point to be in with in the crowd, whilst you're playing the latest incarnation of Candy Crush, posting on Instagram and Tik Tok

Now it's over a grand

Can't be bothered myself, I just use one for playing Torn, social meeja and being annoyed by friends trying to ask me stuff

Much rather spend a fifth of that, and spend the money saved on a new gaming graphics card when I need to, at least I'm wasting money with a purpose then

My misses has had a Windows Phone for about 5 years. Its basically a Nokia Lumia LTE 640 with a Windows Platform. Brilliant camera, easy to use for the kind of shit she uses it for, news WhatsApp etc.
She is now gutted because Microsoft no longer support the phone, so no news and no WhatsApp.
So she is also on the lookout for a new phone, has to be simple, straight forward, maximum budget £200.00 and that's pushing it.

Sorry for piggy backing the thread but I will be following for any useful information as long as it doesn't go daft on the price.
I still have my Microsoft Lumia 640, I also still have my Huawei P10 lite. ;)

TamH70

MIA

Nokia's range of Android One phones are basically their Lumia phones in drag. They look the same, button layouts are almost identical, they are as robust (but I'd use a case anyway), and they come in your budget.

Here's a sim-free Nokia 6.2 from Carphone Warehouse. Costs £199.99, has 64 Gb of storage, 4Gb of RAM, three rear cameras, all the apps from Google Play including WhatsApp and news thingies, and if I wasn't quite happy with my old Nokia 6, I'd get one.

Slightly older versions of their higher-end models like the 7 and 8 are available in places like Cex and Cash Converters, but not everyone is like me and has an aversion to paying retail.

Well... you say that, if you have an AOSP such as LineageOS, then it's Alphabet / Google free in terms of tracking, unless you choose to use their spyware
You might think so... but what does the stripped down Jelly from LineageOS use for it's access? Android System WebView, just like everything else. Of course, anything after Nougat can just use Chrome instead.

Last edited:
After a mad dash run to John Lewis on Sunday I ended up with a G7 Power. Mainly because they did not have a G8 in-stock so it made decision making process easier.

So far so good.

When I have time at the weekend I will disassemble my old phone and try and fix it. It has some text on it from my late father that I want to save.

I am still pissed off that Motorola stopped doing modular phones. Being able to stick speakers on the back of a phone was a great idea.

I still have my Microsoft Lumia 640, I also still have my Huawei P10 lite. ;)
I'm a dinosaur, my phone is a Huawei P6 Lite, does what I need. When I bought the phone a loooong time ago I read the reviews. The only major complaint was the time it takes to start up when you pressed the 'on' button. I thought sheesh, the things people moan about. Now I agree it does take a while, but not worth changing the phone for.

3310. It's amazing how long the battery lasts on a 'phone when you aren't just wasting time.
The battery in my phone, a Huwawei P6 Lite lasts for fecking ever, one charge a week maybe.

That's because when I'm not using it I switch the fecker off. :1:

BopBopBop

War Hero

I had a Windows phone 640XL and it was upgraded to Windows 10.

I got an LG V30 from wowcamera.com when my windows 10 laptop could not recognise my W10 phone when it was plugged in.

Microsoft had lost the plot.

I use a Moto g7. Cheap enough - pick up the power version for 140 notes from Argos. Cameras good enough for impromptu snaps. Really can't complain for the money.

Quo_vadis

Clanker
Have you tried a new battery? My iPhone SE was on its way out. A couple of weeks ago I bought a replacement battery kit off Amazon for £15. Following a rather nervous 45min of prying and squinting, it is now as good as new.

After a mad dash run to John Lewis on Sunday I ended up with a G7 Power. Mainly because they did not have a G8 in-stock so it made decision making process easier.

So far so good.

When I have time at the weekend I will disassemble my old phone and try and fix it. It has some text on it from my late father that I want to save.

I am still pissed off that Motorola stopped doing modular phones. Being able to stick speakers on the back of a phone was a great idea.
Modern phones have some newfangled idea (invented in the 30's by some bloke called Tesla) called Bluetooth. I use a small portable speaker (Sony Sony Srs-XB12) I link to the phone and the quality is superb.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Samsung A10 2GB RAM/32GB storage sim free/unlocked around £130.

Latest Threads