Blasted phone has died! Ideas for replacement needed.

I am busy watching the Motorola reviews on YouTube.....

The choice of phones is silly, a smorgus board tech. This must be what youngsters feel like on dating apps!
I watched and read reviews of the G7 Power. Most, if not all were "Meh" due to the fact that reviewers only like the full bells and whistles top of the line models, which they don't pay for anyway.

Four days between charges with moderate use is the feature which convinced me, I can do without the bleeding edge stuff.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm torn between Hauwei P30 Pro and Samsung Note 10 or possibly waiting till the S11 (S20) is launched.

I bought Sunday minor the P20 Pro and I'm quite impressed by it for the price. The one downside outside the obvious of the Huawei devices is that they use a propriety form of microsd but that's a minor issue.

One of these for reliability, and for hours of fun trying to blag a requisite missing cable from colleagues

Make sure your friends have one, and there are decent connections, and the lines are safely buried so nobody goes head-first into a ditch.

And make sure all the pieces are signed and accounted for afterwards.

Lol, like all modern smartphones I will be using it for surfing the net, reading Arrse, texting/Whats'App'ing mates and family, banking and share dealing, watching YouTube/NowTV/, listening to music/radio...……. I some times use it as a phone, but not often... ;)

Budget is +/- the £500 mark.
I got a Motorola from John Lewis & Partners for £85 which does all that !
And still does 2 years and one battery (£10) later.

£400 saved !

OneTenner

War Hero
I like my Huawei and would probably have another, but their spat with the Spams about technology means that eventually they'll lack Google Play Store, etc. Fab battery life though.
The deal with the spams just means it wont come with the traditional spyware set of 'apps', there's nothing to stop you installing them if you feel you need them, there are many reliable (and some not so) app mirrors which you can use to get the programmes you want.

I used to be a Moto fan but my last two had problems with the touch screen stopping. Whilst waiting for my last one to be replaced I got a thirty quid Alcatel from Asda. Twin sims, fantastic camera and seems bullet proof.

I'm torn between Hauwei P30 Pro and Samsung Note 10 or possibly waiting till the S11 (S20) is launched.

I bought Sunday minor the P20 Pro and I'm quite impressed by it for the price. The one downside outside the obvious of the Huawei devices is that they use a propriety form of microsd but that's a minor issue.
I have the P30 pro, it's a brilliant phone. The camera is outstanding. ;)

TamH70

MIA
Nokia's new range are pretty good phones.

Nokia 8.1 mobile looks good, decent camera, HDR screen, all that gubbins.

I've got an old-school Nokia 6 that was about a third of your budget and I love it. It's Android One, like all new Nokias, so it has got basically vanilla Android with no screwing around and it's still getting security updates two years after release, like the new ones.

I wouldn't buy a Samsung one if you paid me to do so. Their UIs are crap and they've got form for blowing up/catching fire/getting banned from flights and so on, especially their higher-end ones.

Not wanting to sound like an old git, but we used to have that phone when I was a kid. It was crap!
Me too, but in two tone blue. The dial was so stiff that you used to have to hold it with two hands when dialling, thus requiring you to put down the handset when making a call.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I've had Samsung for years, my last one was the S8, a cracking phone.

Until I dropped it. Completely FUBAR'd the thing and no insurance.

Had a bit of a shop around to find a cheap replacement, until my contract comes to an end and I can upgrade.

Found the Huawei Y6 (2019)

£99 from carphone warehouse and £10 no quibble damage insurance.

This phone is just as good as the Samsung S8 in every way. A great find.

As @Gubmint_Agent says, up there, I have no idea what the future holds because of the USA ban, but I don't care.

Seriously, consider it.

Poppy

LE
Me too, but in two tone blue. The dial was so stiff that you used to have to hold it with two hands when dialling, thus requiring you to put down the handset when making a call.
we also had it in that hideous avocado colour - kids today probably wouldn't understand about dialling a number

I once had a very ancient German bakelight phone that was probably from the 1940's.
It was sublime, but they command very big money now.
Also my grandad had an old GPO phone that had the drawer at the bottom and a notepad ,for the notebook to write down your telephone numbers in.

Back in the day you used to rent the handset from the government and you had to return it to them.
I guess they all were scrapped.

Awol

LE
Threw mine (one year old Alcatel, Android) at the wall last week after a very painful domestic 'chat'. Smashed the screen to pieces. Ordered new screen (£6), didn't fit, ribbon cable at the wrong end.

Gave up, looked on Facebook Marketplace, and found a second hand, but newer Motorola Something for......... £20.

Works brilliantly, latest, or nearly latest Android, does lots that my old one didn't, and was so cheap that I reckon I could risk a domestic 'chat' about once a month now.

I watched and read reviews of the G7 Power. Most, if not all were "Meh" due to the fact that reviewers only like the full bells and whistles top of the line models, which they don't pay for anyway.

Four days between charges with moderate use is the feature which convinced me, I can do without the bleeding edge stuff.
After an evening of watching and reading reviews you have it spot on. Technology has advanced so much in the last 4 years that top level is now middle level, and middle level is now entry level.

I will be off to John Lewis to get either a G8 or G7 power.

I have also carried out so diagnostics on my old phone, it appears to be just the display unit that has died and the mother board\ system board seems to be working ok. Torch, camera, finger print and alarm all function, but the screen remains black. I will pop it into the local repair shop and get the display replaced (it can then be a house spare phone).

Cheers, I will check it out. Being Google will I have Trump's America tracking my Arrse usage instead of the Chinese?
The Alphabet Group will be tracking you, no matter your android... The Alphabet Agencies are optional.

Latest Threads