Blast from the Past

LIMA

Old-Salt
I was surfing You tube today and found episodes of "It ain`t half hot Mum"...I think I was about 12 or so when this was on the Telly. I`ve spent all day watching the episodes. Politically incorrect, blatantly racist and funny as F*ck with a good dose of Squaddie humour. We would never get away with it these days - the Leftie, Tree hugging, apologetic wankers would be up in arms!

Heres a link to one of the funniest episodes......

YouTube link

after all these years i found it amusing which is more than i did when it first came out..strange..

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a 'comedian' called Steven K Ambrose on C4 condeming It aint half hot mum as rasist and homophobic
The guy who played the char wallah was a white actor blacked up this apparently is worse than kiddie rape
Windsor Davies charector was homophobic - cue clip of him shouting You is all pooooooofffffffffs at gunner Graham and Gloria
So in the intrest of fair play I checked some of Mr Ambroses work
Mr Ambrose - As unfunny as unfunny can be
Windsor Davis in AHHM - Very enjoyable and quite funny
Message to Mr Ambrose Shhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Upppppppppppppp

the_boy_syrup said:
There was a 'comedian' called Steven K Ambrose on C4 condeming It aint half hot mum as rasist and homophobic
Is he a black faggot?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
the_boy_syrup said:
The guy who played the char wallah was a white actor blacked up this apparently is worse than kiddie rape
Michael Bates was the chap's name.

Was an officer in the Gurkhas, he was also born in India, served with the Chindits behind Japanese lines in Burma and spoke fluent Urdu.

What a racist bastard eh? :roll:

It still shows up on UK TV Gold pretty frequently.

They did a 'marathon' of it back in about May/June.... Great stuff.

Oh dear, youtube can eat up so much of your time.

Just been watching fawlty towers.

"Oh you're german!"

"Oh I'm so sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you................... :D "

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=10dmK7O-KSY

I used to have the above link attached to my signature block in tribute to my father.
He's an ex RSM, and as I discovered recently, an old friend of Windsor Davies.
Every move and gesture of Davies performance is 100% my old man. I've seen him use that trademark switch from scowl to beaming grin, innumerable times, to his advantage.
Whether on the job, or to win over waitresses, stewardesses, car salesmen etc, its worked for him, in spades.

Just watched it - superb.

Windsor also played a very funny part in a rugby film from the seventies called ' Grand Slam '

I bought it earlier this year - he was on top form.

My Grandparents bought me the It Aint 'Alf Hot Mum annual when I was a nipper. It was full of phrases like"Bunch of la-di-da poofters". Funnily enough, I don't think I'd be able to buy it for my son today.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Michael Bates, who played the char wallah, was a classically trained actor, who had appeared at The Old Vic, and subsequently went on to star for many years in 'Last of the Summer Wine'.
Melvin Hayes aka Gloria, starred with Cliff Richard in 'Summer Holiday' and at least one other film.

The program was totally politically incorrect, yet amusing and harmless. The white soldiers, especially those in charge, were portrayed as shallow, bumbling stereotypes. The 'native workers' were, in fact , the ones with the brains and cunnimg, and overcame their masters all the time.
So, what was seen as essentially a racist and denigrating portrayal was in fact an enabling and empowering pastiche, a take on the Imperialists in their last grasp of power.

No boob shots in it , either.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tytus_Barnowl REME 5
chrisg46 Gaming and Software 0
G REME 25