Blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by allgone2ratsh1t, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a Packard Bell Easynote NJ65. It serves its purpose very well but seems to have developed a fault, namely when started the screen sometimes starts up normally ie displays Pacakrd Bell logo and then cracks on as it were. But recently the screen sometimes doesnt display anything rather there is just a blank, lit up screen. The laptop is starting up as normal except for this problem which means having to switch off then switching on again until the screen display is normal. Help appreciated
  2. Does it ...ever...start with a blank screen AND then switch off? Had this some time back with an Acer, but a quick search suggests it also happens to your model. Hardware fault: memory modules or the Hard Drive, or memory board? I solved my problem with a new Hard Drive but this may not work for you.Good luck mate.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if the backlight allways works then its usually a POST problem, basically the self test when you turn it on has something failing.

it could be the memory, but also the hard disk or dvd. its something on the mainboard like the graphics then its a lot trickier, packard bell stuff is all rebadged kit so some internet searching might be in order to find any tricky bits ie.. often you have to lift the keyboard to get to the ram.

basically take everything out then put it back again starting with the memory and see if it will boot to bios then add the other bits one at a time.

does it beep at all? some boards will beep so many times to tell you what has failed.

usually though it is the memory so give the contacts a clean, followed by the dvd and hard drive.

you might try starting with a bios update if one is available.
  4. I had a similar problem with my Easynote, it kept reoccurring, it also kept loosing various drivers, 2 hard drives and motherboards later I bought a Toshiba...not going near PB again.
  5. I have installed Piriform Defrag as the laptop hasnt been cleaned this way since we got it nearly 3 years ago. A quick defrag and it is certainly quicker and also uninstalling some large items that took up some memory has helped. The startup problem seems to be occurring more when it is not plugged in ie running off battery power. If I have it on a flat level surface and using the lead it doesn't seem to happen as much. Will give it an in-depth defragging (no that isnt a euphemism for something) tomorrow as that seems to take forever. Thanks for advice though peeps.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

some of the new laptops are flimsier so the body twists slightly when not flat, its possible the bits arent making full contact. when plugged in you have 19v ish pushing around the system but only 11v ish on battery.

I would still check the seating on everything, degfragging is good as is the turn off startup items in ccleaner.