Blandford vs Catterick

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scousemech, Sep 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never did blandford but out of curiosity was it a good move to move the trg there.All pros and cons will be gratefully recieved

2. Catterick next to good roads, not in middle of nowhere.

But I'd prefer to go out drinking in Blandford

3. Catterick rules , Catterick had SCABS !!!!!

4. Scabs superb many night falling or getting pushed down the stairs

5. Scabs and the White Shops Wine bar where all the Cattrick top totty went, if you could call them that. :lol:

6. And Ariston pizza shop, which was the first place i ever saw making a kebab meat pizza. Quality.

Boney

7. Not been to Catterick, but it's a f*cking nightmare trying to get anywhere from Blandford. The town's alright for a small place. Plenty of pubs, although there's not much else to do. Close enough to Bournemouth, Poole and Salisbury for shopping and that though.

8. Never had a posting to Blandford . But have passed through visiting a mate and I agree it,s a t**t of a place to get around. No motorways in Dorset. Gimme Catterick any day.

9. scabs is now a lidel ...but there are plenty of bars that open to the early hours now in the garrison...and there is a drive thru mcdonalds. Blandford definately has the better weather though. sometimes as a scaley in catterick you have to scrap your way through 4 BG worth of pissed up infantry men on a friday night and if you escape that in one piece there is always the depot para or itc to stick in the boot!! character building stuff.

10. So I take it Catterick wins the brass got it wrong again barstewards I used to love sneeking into wrac block.
    what were the boozers called in Richmond the one at the top of the Square. The Ariston was a top Chippie

11. Fcuk me that takes me back :D

Never forget a night in scabs, stagger out the place at 3, me and a mate failing to chat up some bint who travelled up from Leeds 8O whi was waiting for a mini bus while eating her chips and gravy in the middle of a large pudding that they strangly sold out of the club. We go t nowhere so my mate wanders off to that village between scabs and the garrison because he knew a couple of places that he could get a jump even at that time of the night

Class, pure class

12. I'd like to play absolute devils advocate and say neither - the corps missed a trick in giving up Harrogate.... wait, hear me out.

A town that the tourist information board takes great pride in telling all and sundry that it is the exact centre of mainland UK. Has the A1 next to it, has a train station with very regular connections to both York & Leeds - therefore the rest of the main network. Leeds/Bradford airport is a mere hop, skip and a jump away and to top it all the nightlife & shopping it top notch. Not to forget the surrounding countryside is pretty good too.

The buildings etc used to be p!sh but given the cash injection that Blandford has had in the last few years I really think the wrong choice was made. If we think about what's best about Catterick or Blandford then Harrogate has the best of both and worst of neither:

Blandford - decent nightlife, pretty good surrounding area, not overburdened with military - but in the middle of nowhere
    Catterick - good connections to the rest of the world - but squaddyville extraordinaire

But we all know the decision was really made because the senior officers in the Corps (at the time) all have big houses in Dorset!!

13. I always wondered what the mrs did when I went away at weekends :twisted: :twisted:

14. Catterick was OK, Vimmy blocks were odd though cos the rooms were a lucky dip whether you would get a good one or a toilet...
    Scabs was cack if you think about it but had lots of laughs there, cant believe that place shut down! Also that pub down the white shops the magic snot, if you were bored/skint the old geezers playing dominoes there were always good for drinks and blah stories on the weekend.
    Only experience of blandford was getting sent on 5** course and getting RTU'd on day 1 due to own unit admin nightmare, and have to say the atmosphere was very different when I went - having to sleep in corrimecs didn't help though whats the accom like now its finished?

15. The golden Fleece was the pub