blandford regeneration

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by icemann, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Twigg: "continuous improvement" vital for defence housing

Under Secretary of State for Defence Derek Twigg, the minister responsible for military housing, has been inspecting familiy quarters at Blandford Camp in Dorset to see the progress of a £7.8million refurbishment project.
    Derek Twigg MP talks with Mrs Nick Derby, whose husband, Staff Sergeant Derby, has served in the Royal Signals Regiment for 12 years [Picture: Defence Estates]. Opens in a new window.

Derek Twigg MP talks with Mrs Nick Derby, whose husband, Staff Sergeant Derby, has served in the Royal Signals Regiment for 12 years
    [Picture: Defence Estates]

During his fact-finding visit to the 1,200-acre base – home to the Royal School of Signals, and other military units – Mr Twigg met service families and also inspected accommodation for single personnel where he talked with some of the personnel living there.

It is acknowledged that much of the accommodation at Blandford Camp is below standard as a result of previous uncertainty over its future. However with the School of Signals now set to move to St Athan in Wales, it has been confirmed that the base will be retained for other elements of the Armed Forces. A housing upgrade programme worth £7.8m is consequently underway.

On arrival at the base Mr Twigg met with a number of the spouses of military personnel. He was shown around their quarters, taking the opportunity to gather their views and listen to any concerns:

"I am very grateful to the families for sparing time during this busy festive period to show me their accommodation and share their experiences," said Mr Twigg.

Derek Twigg MP is briefed on the South Crescent upgrade project by Air Commodore Peter Hibberd, MOD Director of Housing [Picture: Defence Estates]. Opens in a new window.

Derek Twigg MP is briefed on the South Crescent upgrade project by Air Commodore Peter Hibberd, MOD Director of Housing

"It is an important part of my job to get out and visit Service personnel and their families, to get their views on accommodation, and to see the various standards for myself."

Mr Twigg was then taken to South Crescent, where upgrade work is underway on 35 of the 138 houses scheduled for upgrade by April 2009. He was briefed on the work to bring them up to top standard by Modern Housing Solutions (MHS), which has the MOD contract for refurbishment. This includes the installation of new kitchens and bathrooms, re-roofing and rewiring:

"I was delighted to see excellent progress with the upgrades, and am determined to see continuous improvement in accommodation to address the concerns I've heard today," said Mr Twigg.

"I've come away with a lot of good information to help better inform the decisions we make on accommodation investments."

The work on South Crescent represents part of the UK-wide 2007/08 programme to upgrade at least 600 military quarters on a worst-first basis, followed by a further 600 in 2008/09, and 800 in subsequent years. Other current upgrade programmes include 151 houses at Invicta Park Barracks in Kent, 81 houses at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, 185 houses at Dale Barracks in Cheshire, 35 houses at Carver Barracks near Saffron Walden, and 24 houses at RAF High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire.
    Derek Twigg MP inspects a service quarter on South Crescent undergoing upgrade [Picture: Defence Estates]. Opens in a new window.

Derek Twigg MP inspects a service quarter on South Crescent undergoing upgrade

In addition, national improvement programmes will deliver 3,000 boilers, 620 roofs, and 22 refurbished children's playparks to family accommodation over the 2007/08 financial year.

Defence Estates assumed responsibility for the management and maintenance of the Service Families Accommodation estate in the mainland UK on 1 April 2004, following its merger with the Defence Housing Executive.

Modern Housing Solutions (MHS) is a purpose built joint venture company, composed of Carillion plc, Enterprise plc, and Atkins plc. It is specifically constructed to deliver the maintenance, improvement and upgrade of Service Families Accommodation (SFA).

Defence News
    in this section:

* People In Defence
    * Military Operations
    * Equipment and Logistics
    * Defence Policy and Business
    * Training and Adventure
    * Estate and Environment
    * History and Honour

* Royal Navy
    * British Army
    * Royal Air Force

* In Depth
    * News Archive
    * Press Centre

Related Links

Defence Estates
    Royal School of Signals
    Blandford Camp
    Under-Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans
    Modern Housing Solutions (MHS)

Related News

New barracks deliver the accommodation soldiers deserve
    Bats in line for a good night's sleep at new Army barracks
    Brand new housing for military personnel

2. Icemann,

Are you on duty with access to the Defence Intranet and bored?

Litotes

3. proper bored fella haha just getting some discussions going seems to be a rolling theme like you say statistics bugdets bout time someone put it in to action at least upgrading facilities is start

4. I don't know about the remainder of the country but the quarters in both Blandford and Invicta Park were absolutely dire. And that was 10-15 years ago.

It's good to see that they are on the list to be refurbished soon, but if organisations like Arrse hadn't started yelling, where would they be? That's right, still on the long-term plan.

Litotes

5. sorry * budgets * gonna be long night

6. Its everywhere mate :roll:

7. thought blanford was closing in a few years ,what a waste !

8. The article mentioned that Blandford will be retained for use by other units once the Royal School of Signals moves to St Athan. Anyone got any idea who could be moving there?

9. I'm going to be dumb....But why the f**K does the School of Darkside Signals stuff have to move? Is there any need for the School to move or is it a case of somewhere needing a major unit to move into and justify spending money on it?

10. It's all part of the Defence Training Review (DTR)See Here.

Hope that helps.

Jimima

11. 14 Sigs.

12. Sorry, but shot is still awful

13. Maybe Mr Twigg could have travelled 20 mins down the road and checked out other quarters that are in need of repair, But that wouldnt have made a good Spin for him would it?