Blakelock murder: new charges

Scotland Yard is poised to bring murder charges over the killing of Pc Keith Blakelock during the Broadwater Farm riots, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.

Any guesses as to how the Guardian will treat this story? "All in the past, time now to move on" is my bet. I can also lay pretty good odds on a certain bloated London MP lodging an article with them to that effect...

Or am I being cynical?
You Cynical Whiskybreath !!!

Just where were you on the night of 6th October 1985 when you should have been down the Tank in Scotland Yard with the rest of us liaising with C13 and the SPG ?

The Guardian also quite rightly has a go at the National Black Police Association and/or the Home Office for giving Dizaei a too-easy ride back in 2003: Ali Dizaei disciplinary charges dropped 'due to politics' | UK news | guardian.co.uk
But he was subsequently convicted at a retrial in February this year

"On a retrial in the Crown Court at Southwark before Mr Justice Saunders, concluding on 13 February 2012, Dizaei was again found guilty of perverting the course of justice and of misconduct in a public office. He was sentenced to three years imprisonment. On 15 May 2012 he was dismissed from the Metropolitan Police."

Scotland Yard is poised to bring murder charges over the killing of Pc Keith Blakelock during the Broadwater Farm riots, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.

Any guesses as to how the Guardian will treat this story? "All in the past, time now to move on" is my bet. I can also lay pretty good odds on a certain bloated London MP lodging an article with them to that effect...

Or am I being cynical?
Not at all - just a Tory who's on the point of decimating the military. Worse, I think you're a working class Tory.

But he was subsequently convicted at a retrial in February this year

"On a retrial in the Crown Court at Southwark before Mr Justice Saunders, concluding on 13 February 2012, Dizaei was again found guilty of perverting the course of justice and of misconduct in a public office. He was sentenced to three years imprisonment. On 15 May 2012 he was dismissed from the Metropolitan Police."
Exactly. Result.

Point I was making is that the Guardian may be vaguely left-wing (VERY vaguely nowadays) but it doesn't necessarily give minorities an easy get-out, nor minimize the murder of a copper.

Bastards. I was in Zim, driving North to Harare and missing Cutaway who was driving South to Beitbridge and therefore unable to buy me a large quantity of Bolinger's at the mine bar. The last time someone officially asked me where I was on so-and-so night (the sorry day that 220 was raided at Castlereagh :chef:) I was in East Kalimantan and could prove it, so there.

And I've never been 'working class'. Upper-lower-middle class Fascist peasant, possibly.

(That Graun article was as apologetic and sympathetic to the Copper Coloured Coppers Club as it was possible to be; hardly objective reporting at its best...)

An extremely dark day in the history of Met policing. A murderous mob acting in such a primitive manner against a lone , unarmed, uniformed officer and the dispicable act of savagery they inflicted upon him.

It's encouraging to know that the science of DNA will bring a measure of justice and hopefully closure to this tradgic affair.

I've always wondered, if 7.62 justice was suitable for other UK citizens in NI at the time, why we didn't apply similar to the machete and knife wielding, petrol bomb mob of Broadwater Farm.

As for Sillcott, he wasn't exactly the model citizen of the locale, either before or after the murderous event.

Whilst a serving cop, I had the opportunity to visit the 'Black Museum' at NSY. Among the heinous trophies and assorted black tools of deaths and gruesome atrocity was Blakelocks covvies.

To my mind, this simple garment was the most shocking, thought provoking and sobering.

I really hope the Met have got it right this time.

Whilst a serving cop, I had the opportunity to visit the 'Black Museum' at NSY. Among the heinous trophies and assorted black tools of deaths and gruesome atrocity was Blakelocks covvies.

To my mind, this simple garment was the most shocking, thought provoking and sobering.

I really hope the Met have got it right this time.
I completely agree - that was the most upsetting exhibit there when I went about 25 years ago - probably because I remember the events from watching it on the news. I went more recently and they had been removed for the latest investigation. I hope there is a successful outcome one way or another.

Latest Threads