Blairs Confused State Of Mind & Ignorance of History

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Voyager, Dec 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Foreign Affairs Jan/Feb 2007

So now you know the Prime Minister has never heard of General Gordon and his difficulties with Muhammad Ahmad ibn as Sayyid Abd Allah in Sudan in 1885.......................a man whose Mahdiyya (Mahdist regime) imposed traditional Islamic laws which would be implemented by Islamic courts headed by various Islamic imams, in accordace with the view of a barely articulated Islamic Republic.

The new Sharia courts enforced Islamic law and the Mahdi's own commands. He also authorized the burning of lists of pedigrees and books of law and theology because of their association with the old regime and because he believed that they accentuated tribalism at the expense of religious unity.

In accordance with Islamic dogma The Mahdi modified Islam's five pillars to support the doctrine that loyalty to him was essential to true belief. The Mahdi also added the declaration and Muhammad Ahmad is the Mahdi of God and the representative of His Prophet to the recitation of the shahada. Moreover, service in the jihād replaced the hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) as a duty incumbent on the faithful. Zakat (almsgiving) became the tax paid to the state. The Mahdi justified these reforms as responses to instructions conveyed to him by God in visions.

I suppose this did not seem familiar to The Artful Dodger as he made his way to Shangri-La over in Miami to see if Robin BG wanted to invest in MoD housing
    for a tax write-off
  2. It was clear from Day 1 that Bliar had neither knowledge of nor interest in history.
    The reason: he was not in it.
    He will be now! He will be recorded, without doubt or dear old Sven's protestations, as the most disastrous and incompetent Prime Minister in nearly two hundred years. Ooops! said that 'H' word again.
  3. I think the period known as the Middle Ages came to an end in the 1500’s. General Gordon’s demise was a long time after that. I think he (Blair) was probably referring to the period of the crusades or possibly the Islamic occupation of the Iberian Peninsular?
  4. Rumrunner is right. Blair is referring to Islam in the Quran and the Middle Ages, not Sudan in the late 19th-centure.

I think it is accurate to say (as Blair does) that the Quran promoted equality and was more protective of women's rights than the tribal norms of 7th-century Arabia.

Likewise, Blair is right in that most historians of Muslim Spain would agree that, compared with medieval Europe, Islamic Spain was unusually tolerant of its religious minorities.

The Mahdiyya in the Sudan situates itself (in Blair's terms) in the radical reaction to Western imperialism which was inspired by Wahabi ideology and espoused a much harsher, more fundamentalist brand of Islam.

Unfortunately (on this narrow point and disregarding the rest of his speech) Blair's history is accurate if simplistic.
  5. I guess life in Constantinople must have been simply divine back in 1453 then ?

I hope Muslims will be as understanding when we take it back
  7. Since the history of the Middle Ages barely affects me these days, I was more drawn towards his more contemporary musings. Take his opening paragraph:

Let's just recap then what's happened in the real world, as opposed to his fantasy land...

1. Not bothered about another Taliban, the original one is still going strong.
    2. A different Sadam is perhaps the only solution in Iraq.
    3. Their ideas have been strengthened by our kinetic methods and the US's illegal imprisonement of its alleged adversaries.

Then in his second paragraph:

So why, pray tell, are HMG currently in the process of destroying the core values of British society?

Well done Tony, yet another piece of your mendacious, glory seeking wibble. :x
  9. With Turkey in the EU it is only natural that the Hagia Sophia will return to its original use.....................what other purpose could there be for having Turkey inside the EU ?
  10. Using the Koran as a style manual for living is dangerous. It has many contradictions in the text. See, amongst many other references (,
    The same problems arise if one were to rely upon the Book as history. We have examples above where the Mahdi perverted the writings to his own ends. Without opening this thread into a general thing on religion, the Koran fulfils the same place in Muslim life as the Catechism of the Catholic Church does in the life of a Catholic – I Believe. End. No debate. The Koran is presented as truth and there can never be any departure from it's teachings as that would make one a kaffer. Unfortunately, the outside world has to intervene making it unsafe as a history or – dare I use the word in connection with him – an ethics primer for Blair.
  11. the same is equally true of the Bible. If you pick out the juicy bits you can justify holy war, armageddon, the Second Coming, etc. Or you can be boring and choose religion of love, peace and harmony.

same with Islam. You can selectively quote on jihad, takfir, apostasy. Or you can be a sufi and settle for the jihad of the soul, God's mercy and compassion and submission to the will of God.

your argument is against religion not against the Quran
  12. My ccomment re Koran was submitted in context of Blair's opinion (see opening post) "To me, the most remarkable thing about the Koran is how progressive it is. I write with great humility as a member of another faith. As an outsider, the Koran strikes me as a reforming book, trying to return Judaism and Christianity to their origins, much as reformers attempted to do with the Christian church centuries later"
  13. I'm not sure where you are going to with this Voyager? Like anyone else who has a PC, an internet search of what you mention could bring this up:-

As I understand it Turkey is our ally and has been for some time. So?
  14. Blair 'views' on the Koran are probably calculated fluff written up for him with view to having a particular effect on the readership rather than anything that resembles the opinion of the man known as Tony Blair.
  15. This is probably the only time I have ever agreed with you.

It won't happen again. :)