Blair to become Middle East envoy for US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by frenchperson, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard on BBC News 24. No link yet.

Bush and Condoleeza Rice have discussed the prospect of Blair assuming this role in the near future. The words pouring, petrol and flames come to mind.

Edited to say, it seems he'll be speaking for the "quartet" and not just the US. Russia, the US, the EU and the UN. I don't know if that makes it more palatable.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And his credibility in that part of the world is.....?

Daft, plain daft.
  3. Eh? This isn't April 1st so why is the BBC making such a joke... one that is in bad taste I must say.
  4. They have to be taking the piss.

The only member of this Government I would even consider for such a role is Jack o' Straw.

Still, it's an admission that Condispellingmistake has zero credibility in the Arab world.
  5. eh??????
  6. Has Bliar absolutely no sense at all? Rhetorical question - I know the answer. His involvement will really calm things down - not!
  7. Blair has always liked being bummed from behind while having his nose up another man's @nus, but this is unbelieveable.

Someone please tell me that this is a joke.
  8. Don't you have to be an American before you can be an American special envoy?
  9. Sorry mate no joke!

Bush 'in envoy talks with Blair'
    President Bush and UK PM Tony Blair
    Tony Blair steps down as UK prime minister on 27 June
    President Bush has spoken to UK PM Tony Blair about him becoming a Mid East envoy, a White House official says.

Mr Bush and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice directly discussed the idea with Mr Blair, the official said.

The president would reportedly like him to be an envoy for the quartet of the US, European Union, UN and Russia.

The official spokesman for Mr Blair said "there is a lot of speculation about the prime minister's future and much of it is inaccurate".

10. Of course it's a "joke" - look who started the thread!

So I now see it isn't...... :roll:
  11. Oh that this is what was meant by standing shoulder to shoulder. Jobs for the boys.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Anyone going to be out there when he arrives in the ME as envoy? We need someone we can trust . . .
  13. Mid East envoy?

No chance. He'll make more money on the lecture circuit and we all know how important money is to Bliar and Cherie, what with the mortgage and everything...

There might be a possible high profile EU job for him.

Keep an eye on whether there is a clause in the new EU treaty allowing for an elected President of the European Union.