Blair to be quizzed about gulf war equipment shortages

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nurse, Jan 15, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. accoring to news 24 El Presidente Tone is to be quizzed on the lack of kit at his press conference today at 12MD

2. I'm sure it will be brought up.
    A question: would cba, had Sgt Roberts been wearing it, have stopped the round?

3. Square hit in the chest by 7.62. Answer - almost definitely if he'd been wearing plates.

V sad transcript of his voice diary which his widow released just lately...if Hoon had just admitted "there were equipment shortfalls, and we were bloody lucky to get away with what we did, and its all the fault of that bastard there!", and point to Gordon Brown, then 'd be in the clear. But in New Labour, you don't cross Gordon.

4. Blair will just lie anyway :evil: :evil:

5. Of course he'll lie, that's what he does best. His motto appears to be "If
    you get caught telling a lie, quickly tell another, but bigger (and make sure you've got some poor sucker to blame!)"

:twisted:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Hoon is already set up to take the fall for the Hutton Inquiry, though Bliar may ultimately try and hang this one on him too. Ultimately all that bothers Bliar at teh moment is his own political survival - the Sots Thief is just lurking in the shadows waiting for his chance. The bad news is that I suspect he would be even worse than Phony Bliar, though it is difficult to comprehend.

7. Its probably ben answered already, but it depends where it hit him and what type of ammunition was used or a combination of both.

What is it about this whole bloody scenario and this bloody Governemnt that sadly, does not surprise me.

It makes me feel bloody awful, but I have now become accustomed to accepting that this is how things are in the Army.

8. stock answer given by Blair there is an inquiery and we'll wait for the results of it.

he was asked by an arab journalist about basra at the weekend.

9. I also listened to the interviews with Mrs Roberts and heard the transcripts. An anonymous civil servant texted in to explain that the MOD is now cutting back on the stores becasue they don't have the warehouse space because of cost.. I've been told by a friend that the MOD is now charged 6% of the value of stores for storing them.

The line that the shortages were not an issue struck me very forcibly - it was for the personnel who didn't have the kit!!

There is no doubt that the Military are going to be hamstrung by the Treasury - the groundswell of public opinion is growing that believes this strategy is morally and operationally unacceptable. Now Military personnel need to start speaking out in public, instead of relying on ex-Officers and the wives and widows of serving personnel.

Don't they because they are not allowed to express their opinions in public?

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Just so. Service personnel who express their opinions publicly are liable to get into trouble because:

- they have to seek permission before speaking to the media

- some things may be covered by the Official Secrets Act

- military personnel are not allowed to be politically active, and I would not put it past Bliar's gang to claim that a whistleblower is acting for the Opposition

Presumably CDS is supposed to be doing the speaking out on behalf of the military, but appears to have been struck dumb.

Also notably quiet (at least in public): Army Families Federation, SSAFA, ABF etc. All of these are directly involved when things go wrong, so why aren't we hearing from them?

Of course, no matter who speaks out, it won't make any difference if no-one's listening, and Bliar has a particular talent for being selectively deaf.

11. The trouble with the top echelons of the Head Shed is that when they stand up and say "This review is good news", they probably believe it.

Unfortunately they probably saw what was originally intended and feel that they have done well to limit the damage. As such, they have lost perspective.

Sgt Roberts represented a considerable percentage of our casualties, and as someone who died demonstrably because of the shortcomings of the supply system, he puts the lie to Hoons statement that:

"The problems didn't materially affect the conduct of operations."

One less dead man is materially affecting methinks!

12. There, was a quartermaster somewhere who was told what he could issue to who. He should have said " Stop, problem, I haven't got the kit." Throw his potty in the corner, have a go at the bloke who gave him his orders, and go over his head!
    It was a f**king serious error and I would like to think that someone got their balls kicked.

13. Square hit in the chest by 7.62. Answer - almost definitely if he'd been wearing plates.

V sad transcript of his voice diary which his widow released just lately...if Hoon had just admitted "there were equipment shortfalls, and we were bloody lucky to get away with what we did, and its all the fault of that bastard there!", and point to Gordon Brown, then 'd be in the clear. But in New Labour, you don't cross Gordon.