Blair to be quizzed about gulf war equipment shortages

accoring to news 24 El Presidente Tone is to be quizzed on the lack of kit at his press conference today at 12MD

Square hit in the chest by 7.62. Answer - almost definitely if he'd been wearing plates.

V sad transcript of his voice diary which his widow released just lately...if Hoon had just admitted "there were equipment shortfalls, and we were bloody lucky to get away with what we did, and its all the fault of that bastard there!", and point to Gordon Brown, then 'd be in the clear. But in New Labour, you don't cross Gordon.

jash

War Hero
Blair will just lie anyway :evil: :evil:

Of course he'll lie, that's what he does best. His motto appears to be "If
you get caught telling a lie, quickly tell another, but bigger (and make sure you've got some poor sucker to blame!)"

:twisted:

Hoon is already set up to take the fall for the Hutton Inquiry, though Bliar may ultimately try and hang this one on him too. Ultimately all that bothers Bliar at teh moment is his own political survival - the Sots Thief is just lurking in the shadows waiting for his chance. The bad news is that I suspect he would be even worse than Phony Bliar, though it is difficult to comprehend.

B

Biscuits_AB

A_team_lucy said:
I'm sure it will be brought up.
A question: would cba, had Sgt Roberts been wearing it, have stopped the round?
Its probably ben answered already, but it depends where it hit him and what type of ammunition was used or a combination of both.

What is it about this whole bloody scenario and this bloody Governemnt that sadly, does not surprise me.

It makes me feel bloody awful, but I have now become accustomed to accepting that this is how things are in the Army.

stock answer given by Blair there is an inquiery and we'll wait for the results of it.

he was asked by an arab journalist about basra at the weekend.

I also listened to the interviews with Mrs Roberts and heard the transcripts. An anonymous civil servant texted in to explain that the MOD is now cutting back on the stores becasue they don't have the warehouse space because of cost.. I've been told by a friend that the MOD is now charged 6% of the value of stores for storing them.

The line that the shortages were not an issue struck me very forcibly - it was for the personnel who didn't have the kit!!

There is no doubt that the Military are going to be hamstrung by the Treasury - the groundswell of public opinion is growing that believes this strategy is morally and operationally unacceptable. Now Military personnel need to start speaking out in public, instead of relying on ex-Officers and the wives and widows of serving personnel.

Don't they because they are not allowed to express their opinions in public?

Prodigal said:
Now Military personnel need to start speaking out in public, instead of relying on ex-Officers and the wives and widows of serving personnel.

Don't they because they are not allowed to express their opinions in public?
Just so. Service personnel who express their opinions publicly are liable to get into trouble because:

- they have to seek permission before speaking to the media

- some things may be covered by the Official Secrets Act

- military personnel are not allowed to be politically active, and I would not put it past Bliar's gang to claim that a whistleblower is acting for the Opposition

Presumably CDS is supposed to be doing the speaking out on behalf of the military, but appears to have been struck dumb.

Also notably quiet (at least in public): Army Families Federation, SSAFA, ABF etc. All of these are directly involved when things go wrong, so why aren't we hearing from them?

Of course, no matter who speaks out, it won't make any difference if no-one's listening, and Bliar has a particular talent for being selectively deaf.

The trouble with the top echelons of the Head Shed is that when they stand up and say "This review is good news", they probably believe it.

Unfortunately they probably saw what was originally intended and feel that they have done well to limit the damage. As such, they have lost perspective.

Sgt Roberts represented a considerable percentage of our casualties, and as someone who died demonstrably because of the shortcomings of the supply system, he puts the lie to Hoons statement that:

"The problems didn't materially affect the conduct of operations."

One less dead man is materially affecting methinks!

Square hit in the chest by 7.62. Answer - almost definitely if he'd been wearing plates.

V sad transcript of his voice diary which his widow released just lately...if Hoon had just admitted "there were equipment shortfalls, and we were bloody lucky to get away with what we did, and its all the fault of that bastard there!", and point to Gordon Brown, then 'd be in the clear. But in New Labour, you don't cross Gordon.

Prodigal said:
I've been told by a friend that the MOD is now charged 6% of the value of stores for storing them.
quote]

Who came up with that brilliant idea? Why not store it in MOD owned bldgs and then there is no additional cost other than have a storeman count it occasionally. :idea:

Interceptor vest (the Yank ones) cost $1500 each so thats the price of my life is it.... But even the Americans are having problems getting hold of enough vests.
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_armor_011404,00.html[/url]

There is also the question of the Health and safety at Work Act. The MoD no longer has Crown Immunity and needs to provide appropriate protective equipment.

No doubt some MoD drone will say that a tankie is protected by his tank. I am sure that will be most reassuring to Sgt. Roberts' widow.

Skinflint b@stards. The cost cutting sod that made the decision not to fully equip with CBA should be made to go and explain to Mrs. Roberts' face about his decision. That would turn numbers into people.

Enemy Forces Paragraph:

H M

T R E A S U R E Y....

MOD role is effectively to conduct Triage on our degrading and diminishing assets, of which more and more is asked.

This needs to become an electoral issue, aimed at the PM and Chancellor. Lying toad that he is (and all politicians are), Hoon's department does their (patchy and irregular, but much better than Other Govt Depts)best with what they've got, relatively a-politically and sensibly. Some disgraces, such as trying to escape liability at every turn, but its a product of the starvation/savings culture as a rule.
Pity the humble MOD civil servant, trying to do his best for a slippery Labour minister, with **** all money to do it.

yes and the report claims that JUST IN TIME SUPPLY works what a load of Bollocks. Its not just Hoon who should resign its should be on the Political side Tony Blair, Gordon Brown. And well I think there are certain officers in both staff and logistics who should be writing letters at the minite as they are as responsible.

The 6% accounting figure is something used by many commercial companies. Even though it will be MOD property that the stuff is kept in the Treasury is acting like a holding company that uses internal accounting to try and get an accurate picture of what their assets are costing them. This way they can see where the wastages are. By charging internal departments HQ costs (overheads) are also built in to everyones' cost base.

But...........

The position 'we' (the free countries) are now in, and will be for the distant future, is that there is an ongoing low level war against global terrorists. This has been recognised by the move towards fast and flexible high tech Military forces - but the same principle that has your bergen packed and by permanently by your door has to apply to all stores. The JIT principle that was good for the Cold War (and not used for the Cold War but brought in after it had ended............... :roll: ) will just not work now.

Even CivPop instinctively knows this, it's hardly rocket science.

If UK Plc wants it borders patrolled (its commercial interests protected, its planes to make it to their destination in less than several million small pieces and its citizens to continue their existence) then it will have to accept the principle that Just in Time will have to be replaced with Good to Go.