Blair Talked Bush Out Of Bombing

#2
Thank fook he did! Can you imagine the carnage that would have been caused by a 'surgical strike' in the Business region of Doha?

The arab world would have gone apeshit and we may well have lost the support of an important arab ally.

I really do despair at him sometimes :roll:
 
#3
So you don't think that this 'revelation' is suspicious following Sir Chistopher Meyers book, in which BLiar is portrayed as a poodle?

Also do you think that someone will be prosecuted for this release of a TOP SECRET document?
 
#4
green_slime said:
So you don't think that this 'revelation' is suspicious following Sir Chistopher Meyers book, in which BLiar is portrayed as a poodle?

Also do you think that someone will be prosecuted for this release of a TOP SECRET document?
Very astute! :D

Political expediency anyone?
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#5
I dunno about bombing Al Jazeera.... Bush might be better off bombing the BBC... it has more terrorist sympathisers on its books!
 
#6
But don't the US have a military base in Qatar? And he was going to bomb another part of the country? Nah.... I don't believe that... I know Bush is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but there's no way he's that stupid... There is something wrong with this story...

Tricam.
 
#7
Is it just me or are these two becoming more like a scene from Dr. Strangelove?
 
#9
Sorry but this story is total BS. The mean USAF airbase in the entire region is in Qatar, as is CENTCOM (FWD) and CENTAF and several brigade-sets of pre-positioned US Army kit. Agreed, very suspicious timing after the Meyer book.
 
#11
"According to unnamed sources quoted in the Daily Mirror, the memo - stamped Top Secret - records Mr Bush suggesting that he might order the bombing of Al-Jazeera's studios in Qatar."

How hard could it be to establish whether this "memo" is a forgery?

Who, if anyone, is denying its existence or authenticity?

Any angry denials out of the White House yet?

This story might possibly serve two purposes:

1. Show the world P.M. Blair is his own man, not a Bush flunky.

2. Show the world that Pres. Bush is a such a crazy badass @#@#%& that you'd better just do exactly as he says because he's dangerous when he's unhappy.
 
#12
Escape-from-PPRuNe said:
Kylie has the truth (sings):
I'm, spinning around..
Australian Goddess also sang: Never too late to change your mind (I mean mr.Bush of course).
 
#13
'Surgical strike' with the Americans god only knows....... I've been to Qatar only stopping over looks it ok but if Bush had gone bombs away the Arabs would have gone after Westerners in Qatar, RAF have a few GR4's and stuff there would be very bad news for Iraq seeing as its a nice stop over for aircraft going to Iraq.
 
#14
This stinks to high heaven - there is no way that a Bliar/Dubya chat would be minuted, given the much-criticised "sofa style" of his dictatorship.

However I suspect the idea has been discussed in US circles, particularly following the Chinese Embassy "accident" of the Balkans adventure.
 
#15
Given that nearly the whole world dislikes the US which gives out staggering amounts of food and monetary aid, champions human rights causes, works for stability in many portions of the world, lends its unprecedented military might to humanitarian relief operations globally FREE OF CHARGE, invents internets and ATMs, and spreads economic prosperity just by being the US....we may as well be viewed as the crazy, twitchy MF's next door with the collection of fully automatic weapons and explosives. The world won't respect us, let them fear us.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:

2. Show the world that Pres. Bush is a such a crazy badass @#@#%& that you'd better just do exactly as he says because he's dangerous when he's unhappy.
 
#16
BBC now reporting the story with the headline:

Bush al-Jazeera 'plot' dismissed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4459296.stm

Nice quote therein:-
BBC website said:
A Downing Street spokesman said: "We have got nothing to say about this story. We don't comment on leaked documents."
But I though the 'leaks' ARE their comment!!!! :roll:
 
#17
The allegation hasnt actually been rebutted by either the UK or US.

They could have just had another of those "accidents" that always seems to befall Al-Jazeera buildings in recent wars.
 
#18
I personally think this story good do a lot of damage. It isn't going to look good for the US, even though they didn't do it, the fact that they wanted to. It will just help the insurgents recruit more. I am not one for standing up for the US, can't really write what I think of them because it would look like this - %^(&$^$%^ Problem is the more the indurgents recruit the bigger the threat to our soldiers.

if you lot are right, and I agree this is impeccable timing and is probably a load of bull, this is no time for us to be scoring points off the US government just for Bliar too look good. It's our boys he puts at risk.



And this...........

Yank_Lurker said:
Given that nearly the whole world dislikes the US which gives out staggering amounts of food and monetary aid, champions human rights causes, works for stability in many portions of the world, lends its unprecedented military might to humanitarian relief operations globally FREE OF CHARGE, invents internets and ATMs, and spreads economic prosperity just by being the US....we may as well be viewed as the crazy, twitchy MF's next door with the collection of fully automatic weapons and explosives. The world won't respect us, let them fear us.
You can shove where the sun doesn't shine, maybe yeah the US do give aid but they do it on their own terms. We will give you aid if a, you open your borders to our heavily subsidised products and we can flood your markets putting all your workers out of jobs and b, we get so much say in your government.

Edited as I am a fuckwit and forgot to put my remarks to the yank tawt!!
 
#19
With a huge base in Qatar why would the US need to bomb al Jazeera ? Complete nonsense. But al Jazeera likes to toss out fantasy as fact hoping the arab world will believe it. Of course the terrorists thought US armored vehicles had an electrical force field so they put electrical tape on the end of their RPG's ......
 

Similar threads

Top