Blair speak

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hark ye to the words of the Great one, henceforth to be known as Ozymandis. (*)

the full text of the speech Tony B liar made to the great and the good last evening. Have no breakable objects nearby when you read it:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page10409.asp

"In Iraq, the pressure from such terrorism has changed the nature of the battle. Its purpose is now plain: to provoke civil war. The violence is not therefore an accident or a result of faulty planning. It is a deliberate strategy."

Dear God above! Somebody has a Strategy? What a surprise! We though they were making it up as they went along, just like you and George W. Somebody pass the smelling salts.

"....a major part of the answer to Iraq lies not in Iraq itself but outside it, in the whole of the region where the same forces are at work...

That is what I call a "whole Middle East" strategy."

Surely not! Please Tell us more!

"There is a fundamental misunderstanding that this is about changing policy on Syria and Iran. First, those two countries do not at all share identical interests. But in any event that is not where we start".

Well I am glad about that. For a minute there I thought you were about to get off a plane, start waving a bit of paper about and proclaim: "Peace in our time". Please continue:

"On the contrary, we should start with Israel/Palestine. That is the core. We should then make progress on Lebanon. We should unite all moderate Arab and Moslem voices behind a push for peace in those countries but also in Iraq. We should be standing up for, empowering, respecting those with a moderate and modern view of the faith of Islam everywhere."

Right oh. Should get that sorted by end of next week. What next?

"What is happening in the Middle East today is not complex. It is simple. Iran is being confronted over its nuclear weapons ambitions"

OK. Can see that. People get p1ssed off if the next-doors start knocking up nukes in the garage. What to do then?

"To be fair, they have a genuine, if entirely misplaced fear, that the US seeks a military solution in Iran. They don't".

Right. Suppose you did not make that bit up because that would get George W. all upset. So it must be US Policy. But what is ours then??

"A nation like Britain has no prospect - none - in the world as it is developing today, of pursuing its national interest except in close concert with others."

"Britain.... is also a country of 60 million people whose geography could fit neatly into a corner of Alaska. We will need collective strength in the years ahead. That strength is infinitely easier to generate, and more to our liking, if based on alliances with nations that share our values. For that reason, our partnership with America and our membership of the EU are precisely suited to Britain."

"When people say: yes, but we want a "British" foreign policy, I say: of course we do, but in today's world a foreign policy based on strong alliances, is the only "British" policy which works."

So that amounts to a final confirmation (as if that were needed by now) that in the view of Tony B liar we:

are indeed a crappy little country nobody gives a toss about

effectively ceded any vestige of meaningful inputs on Middle East policy to the US

confirmed that any remnants of a National Foreign Policy plays second fiddle to EU policy.

Thanks a bunch Tony. With a PM like you who needs enemies

(*)

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said-"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert... Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Percy Bysshe Shelley

2. Thanks Blogg. I cannot bear to listen to the frantic little creep, so I am grateful to be able to read some of the guff he spoke.
    I am a particularly dense old fool, but one of my two working brain cells is telling me that certain changes in stance and attitude are emanating from the Blush Bliar axis following General Sir Richard Dannatt's speaking out. Pity the good General's predecessors hadn't laid down the law before the unsupportable and illegal invasion went ahead.

3. Ladybits. Someone had better tell the French then.

Or allowed to speak out?

4. Good point. Do you think he was put up to it then?

5. Dear Blair & Bush et al,

Please note that whilst you now wish to engage with Iran/Syria you somewhat missed the boat. Perhaps in hindsight had you engaged more fully when there was a reformist governmnet in place in Iran and not labled Iran and Syria as part of the axis of evil, you might not have got into this situation.

Never mind, it is a bit late for you both to seek consensus internally and extrenally as you have consistantly both ignored wise word from many around you.

You are both on a hiding to nothing and you will be remebered in History as blundering idoits. Sadly the fact that our national interests have not been served by your own desire for a place in History demonstartes the weakness that exist within our respective constitutions.

Party politics should not be used to prevent constituational checks and balances being applied. You have behave no better than Musharraf or Mugabe, infact their some disturbing parallels.

[/RANT] Fcuk these muppets make me angry :twisted:

6. If I remember rightly before the illegal invasion of Iraq, we were told that the road to peace in Palestine ran through Baghdad.
    Now he's telling us the road to peace in Iraq runs through Palestine.

7. No I don't think he was 'put up to it' per se.

Though I do think it was a case of "light blue touch paper and retire'

I have stated, since earliest times, that Sir Richard's bluff honest soldier remarks, were exactly what this Government were hoping for, to start this process.

As for the Celestial Weasel...

Prime Minister, you may have sold your birthright for a mess of pottage, but you d amn well didn't sell mine or my colleagues into the bargain.

We are British , people and Soldiers. British Soldiers are still, in spite of your best efforts , well regarded worldwide.

Mostly for our curious mixture of qualities, Humourists, Diplomats , Cynics, fair and caring and above all , formidable fighters and respectfully regarded as such, I can well imagine that a young Muhajadeen makes his name with his fellows attacking British Forces, as opposed to any other nation. Why do you think that is?

We are British , we are the greatest nation on this planet. Until you sold out , we were regarded by much of the 'free world' as the most honest, democratic, free and fair society in the World bar none.

Your comments , would seek to make us a vassal state, and slaves to the vagaries of US foreign policy.

I am especially disturbed, that you follow the intentions of the US and Israel, in making comments, designed to alienate Syria and Iran. Do I need to remind you, that your own Foreign secretary, regarded Syria as friendly to UK interests, and the President of Syria is an Anglophile with an English wife?

Need I remind you, that we have rejected both overt and covert approaches from Syria to help in the Middle East? Why are we still using threatening language towards Syria , when time and again, Syria has said "We should talk, we can help"?

You say Syria 'must not interfere in Lebanon'. Is that from your own mouth , or is that your mouth being worked by other nations? If it wasn't for Syria, it would still be life and death going out for a pint of milk in Beirut High Street.

'Syria must stop supporting terrorists'. Can you put your hand on your heart Prime Minister, and say Syria is doing nothing about radical Islam?

Can you truthfully say , there has never been one terrorist suspect rendered to Damascus?

Iran is another case in point, but as long as we continue to use threatening language towards them, they will , being Persian and a proud and haughty race , continue to dig their heels in.

You effectively declare us as the 51st state of the USA, then tell Syria and Iran , co-operate or else and expect them to take us seriously? They did pre-Gulf II Prime Minsister, and Jack Straw said as much. what happened there? Oh yes, you bowed to pressure from Israel over his comments, and sent a clear signal to the Arab world, and Israel , that we were impotent.

As for trying to ressurect your long dead dream of an Israeli-Palestine' peace. Do you really think Israel are going to listen to a damn thing you say? They know they only have to pick up the phone to your self-declared master and say 'Give your poodle a slap will you'

You have backed yourself into a corner Prime Minister, and shown yourself to be easily-led and impotent.

Do not drag a proud island nation with a history that is the envy of the free world, into your crap game.

I will remind you Prime Minister, that a nation of considerably less size coloured 3/4 of the globe pink. I would also remind you we are still the leaders of potentially the most powerful economic bloc on Earth , the British Commonwealth, though successive British Governments have resisted using it as such. I would further remind you that London is the financial capital of the world.

Yes, we are pretty powerless aren't we?

Because that is where you ******* well put us you clownshoes. You did Prime Minister. You had numerous chances to guide America on this, and you have squandered every single one of them. "Oh we can guide America now" No we damn well can't. They don't take us seriously anymore.

Thanks to you. Well I am not a vassal to a foreign nation Prime Minister.

I am British by birth , and by the good grace of God.

You would do well to remember that too. Now tell us how YOU are going to re-establish us to where we were 5 short years ago.

[/MAKESAFE]

8. which kinda makes sense if it is the same road, ie, one that goes from A to B :D ...its the same road, n'est pas?

in actual fact, I think the road to peace lies in compulsory bacon sandwich eating competitions betwixt the Jews and the Arabs. They will discover previously unknown joys, and forge a hitherto unimaginable brotherhood of new understanding.

9. Well said Pongo. Go to the top of the class.

What a stupid speech....the "geography" of the Uk....I think he meant the land-mass....and anyway, what's that got to do with the price of chicken?

What a self serving dullard Bliar is. I hope the cops arrest him for selling favours.

10. It really is now beyond tragic.

"This approach, in which two countries once branded by the Bush White House as unambiguously evil miraculously become "part of the solution", defies any credible logic except that of ignominious desperation.

It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that Washington and London are now so eager for a face-saving formula that would enable them to wash their hands of Iraq and its apparently intractable problems that they are prepared to retreat from positions which they had declared, only weeks ago, to be principled and unflinching

Instead of delivering ultimatums to Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on his nuclear ambitions, Britain and America are to offer him an invitation to play a larger and more influential role in global politics"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=2CRXTSFXRZCQBQFIQMFCFGGAVCBQYIV0?xml=/opinion/2006/11/14/dl1401.xml

11. The awful tragedy of all this is that so many had warned of the stupidity and dangers - and Blair/Bush chose simply to overrule and ignore.

Ultimately these two monsters have to answer the simple question:

What exactly has all of this blood sweat and tears actually achieved?

12. London Irish,
    Been hitting the black stuff have you?
    We were told if you take the road from Baghdad by the time you got to Palestine there you would find peace waiting in the lost luggage dept. of the coach station.

Now we are being told we have to start our journey in Palestine and peace will be found, apparently, at the end of the road back in Iraq.

To people of most races this would be considered a gross irritation: being given the run around and not getting anywhere very fast.

But AAArh! not of course to a Guinness drinker. They would be quite happy travelling up and down a road, thinking that its the journeying and not the getting there that is important.
    And of course the speed of travel would not be expected to exceed the rate at which Liffey water is pulled from a pump.

13. Bliar is trying to have his cake and eat it...he is posing on deck, pretending to have a firm grasp of the tiller with tough words as he executes a frantic U-turn in the good ship Britannia, attempting to avoid being swamped by the wake of the good ship Dubya - aboard which the mutineers have seized the wheel!

To use another metaphor, he is desperately ad-libbing on stage as the script is in the process of being torn up and rewritten. The last thing he wants is to utter something that is substantial enough to be scrutinised and found to be contradictory to anything coming out of the US.

When the extent of the required U-turn becomes apparent (far beyond simply "talking" to Syria and Iran) I believe Bliar's position would be untenable after his previous rhetoric - this is, of course, a hypothesis as he is on borrowed time anyway.

14. Unsworth asks,
    what did all this blood sweet and tears achieve?

Two gold, one platinum disk and two grammys.

15. It's pathetic.

Who'd have thought, back in 2001, that five years down the line, two grubby little regimes like Iran and Syria, would now have the US and UK over a barrel?

Tehran and Damascus will bargain hard now that they know the coalition see them as their last chance for Iraq.

What will the US and UK have to give up?

IAEA inspections?
    Criticism of human rights violations?
    The Golan Heights (not theirs to give of course...)

Unless they've been in secret talks already and are about to spring the master plan on us, like they did with Libya?

But I think not. There are too many Iranian officers running weapons and cash over the border already. The Iranians will want to see their own people take over in Iraq, which means a Shia coalition run by SCIRI. The other Shia (not to mention the Sadrists) would not stand for it. The Sunnis would not stand for it. And neither would Israel. Why would the Israelis want to see another satellite of Iran in the Middle East with its own Shia militia? The result would be yet more bloodletting, and Iran is likely to get a bloody nose too.

There are no good solutions in this situations, only bad ones and less bad ones. The trouble is, as so often with the current US and UK foreign policies, you always wonder, have they really thought this through?

Or is it just another bad idea whose time has come?